A&P combined course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krissybear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have taken combined Anatomy & Physiology courses in my undergrad but didn't do so well - I got a C in A&P 1 and a C+ in A&P 2. Since I was originally just going to apply to my community college PTA program (which required at least a B in A&P) I retook the course, however, the community college allowed a fast-paced combined course for A&P so that you could complete 2 semesters worth of work into just 1 semester.

Question is... now that I've decided to apply to a PT program, is this sufficient enough? I would hate to have to retake A&P for a 3rd time, but I wanted to see what you all thought. I already have to take a few other prereqs so I want to be able to focus on getting As in all of them.

Members don't see this ad.

What grade did you receive in the retake? Anything below a B- is generally unacceptable.

What grade did you receive in the retake? Anything below a B- is generally unacceptable.

I received a B, but I think I may just do my best to retake both this summer and fall :/

Members don't see this ad :)
If the condensed A&P you took was worth 8 credits and included a lab, you should be ok. A&P II is just a continuation of A&P I, they use the same text book for both courses. Just email the schools you plan to apply to and ask. Also you may run into a small problem on the PTCAS site when entering your A&P classes, but i'm sure PTCAS can help you work that out. They are pretty helpful. Good luck!

I would call your top few schools and ask specifically about your combo course to see if they count it. If not, they will default to your first take and that will be an unpleasant surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a similar question. I started my combined anatomy and physio course (1 out of the 3 for the series) this summer and got a C at a CC. The C is technically passing to the CC and it's the only quarter based CC, all other CCs are semester. What are my chances you think of getting in to PT school with that 1 C out of the rest of the series, because I'm hoping to do better for the rest of the series. I'm also taking micro bio, physics series, and some bio classes with labs and abnormal psych and another psych class to boost my GPA and fill requirements for schools I want to apply to. One school said I should retake it and another school said to just do well in the other classes. I'm just in a limbo because I really want to apply by fall 2017 at the latest since I already acknowledge to hold off fall 2016....Thoughts?

I have a similar question. I started my combined anatomy and physio course (1 out of the 3 for the series) this summer and got a C at a CC. The C is technically passing to the CC and it's the only quarter based CC, all other CCs are semester. What are my chances you think of getting in to PT school with that 1 C out of the rest of the series, because I'm hoping to do better for the rest of the series. I'm also taking micro bio, physics series, and some bio classes with labs and abnormal psych and another psych class to boost my GPA and fill requirements for schools I want to apply to. One school said I should retake it and another school said to just do well in the other classes. I'm just in a limbo because I really want to apply by fall 2017 at the latest since I already acknowledge to hold off fall 2016....Thoughts?
At this point, I would push through all the other classes (get A's), then go back and repeat that C as needed. If you really do get A's in every single other class, you probably won't need to repeat it. If you get B's, you will probably need to repeat is as your cumulative GPA won't be very high.
(side note: although most PT schools accept all CC classes, the one class they seem to sometimes be particular about is A&P....just double check that your target schools are good with CC A&P.)