A Major Caribbean School's Admission Lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No need to hate on DO's broseph.
DO == MD (source: see US medical licensing; if they weren't equal, why can they match with MD's??).
My co-chief during residency was a DO and he showed me some awesome OMM techniques that I use on my patients EVERY DAY. Granted I just learned the basic quick stuff, but there are courses that MD's can take to learn OMM. Luckily I had the honor of having DO's in my residency that I tried to learn some stuff during my time in training.
98% of DOs use zero OMM in practice, last I checked.

Members don't see this ad.

You forgot fellowships. Community residencies substantially hurt your chances of landing a fellowship.
I'm not sure this is always true. I only know about my specialty, but for IM at least I was surprised by how decent many of the community program's match lists were when interviewing this past cycle. If your program is affiliated with a university (as many are nowadays), it's very possible to rotate through the university hospital to make contacts/get LORs. Also, many community hospitals sponsor fellowships that often have a strong preference for in-house candidates. If you know what subspecialty you are interested in prior to starting residency, it's possible to set yourself up in a community hospital that sponsors a fellowship program in that specialty.

I think you're right that coming from a community hospital probably makes it more difficult to match into the most competitive subspecialties (GI, cardio), as well as into academic fellowship programs. But as I mentioned before, academic programs aren't really necessary for many people's career goals. Again, this is only for IM, I have no idea about other specialties.

Hello all.
flags_1.jpg

flags_1.jpg