A lot of students specialize...I do not feel like competing with peers???? What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Respectfully, why is this considered a CON for some applying to schools? No matter where you go you will have "gunners" and if you don't want to specialize, why does this even matter? A lot of people don’t know they want to specialize until later and why not keep your options open with the help of some friendly competition. If any of these schools promoted a hostile environment you would hear about it somewhere on SDN. I would like to hear others opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you think the competition in dental school is bad, just wait till you have to work. Mind as well get used to it while you're young

Reactions: 3 users
Probably because competition oftentimes only leads to more stress with little benefit. If someone is determined to do a specialty, they’ll do so without knowing their peer’s grades (or caring) because it’s what they want to accomplish. Personally in my time in dental school so far I’ve gained very little from knowing how others are performing. Anyone who is in dental school is naturally competitive and hardworking at heart, so even if you don’t want to specialize that internal sense of competition is always there. Why would anyone want to go to a gunner school that’s competition heavy when they could go to a collaborative school where students help each other try to succeed in any capacity they can?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anyone want to go to a gunner school that’s competition heavy when they could go to a collaborative school where students help each other try to succeed in any capacity they can?
Why apply to that school then? My point was when you look at School A vs School B posts, among @macsak telling everyone like a broken record to go cheaper, I have seen this on many different posts as well. If that is a serious concern don't even bother applying there. It's not like it was a well kept secret that they found out during an interview by a student. No matter the school you will have motivated students.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would anyone want to go to a gunner school that’s competition heavy when they could go to a collaborative school where students help each other try to succeed in any capacity they can?
Because the gunner school is 200K cheaper

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Pre-Dents: Spealiziation rates matter a lot to me since I’m definitely going to be a surgeon or orthodontist (unlike everyone else who says that). I want to go someplace with the highest match numbers so they will match me into residency.

Also Pre-Dents: I don’t want so much competition among classmates for residencies. I don’t want to be among so many gunners. I want it easy.

Folks, it’s real simple: Go to the cheapest school and do whatever you want from there. If you’re going into something competitive, expect to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If you want a less competitive environment, go to a reputable P/F program.

Which schools have programs where there’s a “competition” among the students? Every interview I’ve had, every school thread I’ve read, i have yet to see anything other then the typical “all the students at my school are really collaborative and we help eachother out” type of stuff. Starting to think these super competitive and cut throat schools don’t really exist. But maybe I’ve missed something

'Gunner' vs 'collaborative' is going to be based on each individual class's make up.

While the school policies and cultures can contribute, I think it can vary largely year to year just based on who is in the class.

Personally I have never once asked somebody their grades, and only seldom discuss it with one close friend who I study with. I see no benefit in comparing myself with others and I never tell anyone how I am doing either. I was fortunate to have a few upperclassmen and resident mentors, so I discuss EC's etc with them (but not grades) and where I can improve there as well, but infrequently with any other students.

The only way I can see this being a 'con' is if you are deadset on being a GP practice owner, and want to discuss business stuff as a GP, I have seen that the kids who want to specialize are more focused on that vs business. You could possibly even find a business partner that way.

But this is such a minor point that it is pretty much irrelevant.

Reactions: 5 users
Which schools have programs where there’s a “competition” among the students? Every interview I’ve had, every school thread I’ve read, i have yet to see anything other then the typical “all the students at my school are really collaborative and we help eachother out” type of stuff. Starting to think these super competitive and cut throat schools don’t really exist. But maybe I’ve missed something
You think they let any dental student into those interview rooms? Those students are selected.

Schools will only show and tell you the positive during interviews.

You think they let any dental student into those interview rooms? Those students are selected.
Well right.. it’s competitive in the sense that you have to achieve the grades, scores and ECs and then once you’re in DS you have to achieve those to have a higher class rank but thats different then ”cut throat“ and sabotaging my classmates in order to get ahead..

Well right.. it’s competitive in the sense that you have to achieve the grades, scores and ECs and then once you’re in DS you have to achieve those to have a higher class rank but thats different then ”cut throat“ and sabotaging my classmates in order to get ahead..
Unfortuanately some class years do have people that are cut throat and who sabotage, I wouldn't expect to see it, but there are people out in the world who operate this way. I know of it happening, but have never experienced it and it does not exist in my class year.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortuanately some class years do have people that are cut throat and who sabotage, I wouldn't expect to see it, but there are people out in the world who operate this way. I know of it happening, but have never experienced it and it does not exist in my class year.
I'm sure these people exist, but I have none in my class.

I personally prefer the abundance mentality. Help everyone out as much as you can. Most will go GP anyways, and there are enough spots in the country if you help another classmate applying for the same thing as you to go around. They will be your future colleagues and always remember you helped them out. And the good karma will come around one way or another.

At the end of the day in my class around 8 people applied for specialty out of ~80. Everyone matched. many of the top students never applied for anything and wish to be successful GPs.

You will make your own future.

I'm sure these people exist, but I have none in my class.

I personally prefer the abundance mentality. Help everyone out as much as you can. Most will go GP anyways, and there are enough spots in the country if you help another classmate applying for the same thing as you to go around. They will be your future colleagues and always remember you helped them out. And the good karma will come around one way or another.

At the end of the day in my class around 8 people applied for specialty out of ~80. Everyone matched. many of the top students never applied for anything and wish to be successful GPs.

You will make your own future.
That's how I feel as well, it is pointless to have a scavenger mentality. We are all better off as a society when everyone is performing their best, if I can help a classmate I always take the time to do it, some patient will be the benefactor of the gain of knowledge and skill, I see no point in aiding in their denial of the best care possible.

Reactions: 1 user