a little lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalypso418

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen from Florida State. I received my Associates of Arts in Studio/Fine Art in 2003. In 2005 I decided to go to the Philippines to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I shall be graduating in March of 2009. I am interested in attending Colorado State University for my DVM. I am planning on moving to Colorado in 2009 to establish a year of residency, and then start attending school in 2010. I need to know as a student graduating from another country, but as a US citizen, what are the requirements needed to begin my DVM program.
We do not have advisers in this country for this sort of thing, so your input will be greatly appreciated. I need to know what is the best thing for me to do and if there are any exams (ECFMG?) that I need to take before entering school. I know that I will be taking the state board for nursing in order to work in Colorado, but I am mainly interested in attending school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
The best thing to do is go to the colorado state university vet school page. Go to the DVM section and you will see all the requirments. You probably have most of them from the nursing degree--usually one year of chemistry, physics, organic, bio, a stat or calculus class. The only test you will need to take is the GRE.

You may want to consider applying to more than one school.

Good luck

I am planning on moving to Colorado in 2009 to establish a year of residency, and then start attending school in 2010.

I think establishing residency may take more time than what you have outlined. Applications are due by the beginning of October the year before you matriculate (so if you want to start in Fall 2010, your application is due at the start of October 2009). I believe they look at your residency status as of the application date. So if it takes a year to establish, I think you would have to have been in the state since at least the beginning of October 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point. Regardless I still have to take a genetics class, but still this sets me back by another year.

Pretty much, the Colorado State Website says i make the requirements. i am just missing genetics. I am just worried about taking extra exams because I do not want to be set back any further.

I would email the pre-vet advisor. I have emailed her several times and she is really helpful! I know the GRE is the required entrance exam. Good luck!:)

http://aavmc.org/vmcas/documents/Colorado2008_003.pdf

That is the most important document you are going to need. Make sure you take Statistics. There have been so many schools that I wanted to apply to except I took two semesters of Calc instead of at least one of Statistics.

I think establishing residency may take more time than what you have outlined. Applications are due by the beginning of October the year before you matriculate (so if you want to start in Fall 2010, your application is due at the start of October 2009). I believe they look at your residency status as of the application date. So if it takes a year to establish, I think you would have to have been in the state since at least the beginning of October 2008.

Make sure you check with each individual school regarding that. Every school I've been to uses your residency status at the time of matriculation, not application.