A lil advice to strengthen my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I-Ballz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this site and I hope I can get a little advice. I graduated from undergrad a year ago and have been working ever since then. After a lot of comtemplating and discussion with current optometrists, I decided Opt was the career choice for me. Since then I have resigned from my 50+ hour a week job to take a more modest part-time job which has allowed me to enroll in a couple summer classes (1 is an optometry pre-req and the other is just to show my dedication to being admitted) and to spend 3-4 hours each tuesday shadowing an optometrist at a local eye clinic. I have a lil community involvement experience to strengthen my application but it doesn't require much effort on my part. I guess my real question is this: I have just recently been asked to volunteer a couple hours each weekend at the local hospital. It would work out well for me b/c I could work it into my work/class/shadowing schedule, but it would have nothing to do with Optometry or Ophthalmology. Would I be better off to take this non-Optometry volunteer opportunity at the hospital or seek out volunteer experience in an Opt setting? Sorry if I've rattled on, but like I said, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for any advice I can get to help improve my chances of being accepted for the fall of '07.

Members don't see this ad.

I-Ballz said:
I'm pretty new to this site and I hope I can get a little advice. I graduated from undergrad a year ago and have been working ever since then. After a lot of comtemplating and discussion with current optometrists, I decided Opt was the career choice for me. Since then I have resigned from my 50+ hour a week job to take a more modest part-time job which has allowed me to enroll in a couple summer classes (1 is an optometry pre-req and the other is just to show my dedication to being admitted) and to spend 3-4 hours each tuesday shadowing an optometrist at a local eye clinic. I have a lil community involvement experience to strengthen my application but it doesn't require much effort on my part. I guess my real question is this: I have just recently been asked to volunteer a couple hours each weekend at the local hospital. It would work out well for me b/c I could work it into my work/class/shadowing schedule, but it would have nothing to do with Optometry or Ophthalmology. Would I be better off to take this non-Optometry volunteer opportunity at the hospital or seek out volunteer experience in an Opt setting? Sorry if I've rattled on, but like I said, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for any advice I can get to help improve my chances of being accepted for the fall of '07.
If you are already shadowing an optometrist, then you should go ahead and take the volunteer job at the hospital.

One, you are already gaining enough exposure to the field.

Two, and some people will disagree with me, shadowing experience is overrated. I specifically pointed out the fact during my interview that I did not have a lot of experience (30 hours), though I had some time spent as a patient (my own doctor being the reason I wanted to pursue this field.) They said they weren't bothered by it at all, and that that was what school was for. The point can definitely be made that experience is valuable in that it helps you determine that this is the right decision, but after a point, it is not going to help you any more on your apps. Besides, it sounds to me as if you have done a lot of "homework" in deciding that this is the field for you.

Third, there is more to being an Optometrist than just optometry. A good doctor, and a title which we assume, should also show compassion and understanding, and have an appreciation for the entire health of the human body. Working in a hospital will help you to gain a better appreciation/understanding of this. It also teaches you more about other medical professions you may encounter as well as possible settings in which you might practice.

Definitely don't confine yourself. Breadth and experience will work in your favor.

From someone who knows better... ;)

Thanks for the insight. It's nice to hear opinions of people who have actually been through the app process and know what works from first hand experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
swiftiii said:

It also teaches you more about other medical professions...

Breadth and experience will work in your favor.
I agree with the above suggestions. You'll be able to talk about the volunteering and that's always a plus, even if it's not directly related to optometry. Plus, you could always talk to docs/nurses/staff about insurance, the rising cost of health care, etc. (if you and they can find the time!) - these are always good things to have in your interview arsenal.

but after a point, it is not going to help you any more on your apps.

having more expereience in the field not only helps your application, but more importantly will help you decide what mode of optometry you like, what you see works for an optometry office and what kind of doctor you want to be. plus learning about eyeglasses will help you in your classes and in some of your clinics.

volunteering in a hosipital is a great chance for you to see other health professionals, but if the opprutinity comes for you to work for a different practice mode, that will help more.

also "shadowing" does have limitations, working in an office will give you more meaningful experience = more intersting things to talk about during your interview

I currently work in the med records department at my local hospital. Although my job has nothing to do with optometry, I feel it has given me a broader base of knowledge about aspects of the medical field that I have never taken into consideration... billing, random expenses, insurance, politics between dfferent departments, etc. The job gave me a lot to talk about during my interviews. If you have the time, any insight you can gain on being a health care professional is valuable. A job at an eye care clinic would be nice, but there probably aren't as many opportunities available versus volunteering. The student volunteers that I interact with seem to enjoy their experience, parhaps you could request a department that interests you. Good luck!