A hopeful non-trad....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MBA_Doc

Hi Folks!

I'm 36, married with 2 kids, have a Master's in computer science, and an MBA from the University of Chicago (the 2nd ranked MBA program in the world). I have spent more than 10 years working for various management consulting firms dealing with strategic, marketing and finance issues.

OK....now lets take a deep breath.... why medical school you ask?

Coz its what I've always wanted to do. Can I do what I'm doing right now well? Yes. Do I hate what I'm doing right now? No. Do I want to be doing something that I imagine I'd really love. YES.

As you can imagine, this is a big deal for me. I'm giving up a lot, hopefully to gain a lot. And I'm not talking about $$. But you know what? I love taking prereqs and going to school. I love being taught. I love the no-pressure atmosphere (yes, I said no-pressure, trust me I have experienced some pretty stressful and high-impact work situations where a wrong decision could bankrupt a company). I love learning I guess is what I'm saying.

Do I think I'll do well? Yes. I hope so......

Anyway, just wanted to intro myself to everyone.

Cheers!
Ken

Members don't see this ad.

good luck MBA_doc. i'm right there with you. i really enjoy the pre-req classes too.. after undergrad and grad school plus working in engineering for 8 years, i'm looking forward to starting a second career.

When did the University of Chicago become the 2nd ranked MBA program in the world?

Members don't see this ad :)
MBA_doc

I am in the same boat with you, a non-traditional student, 33 years old. ..expect I don't have an MBA :)

with your academic background and working experience....
I am sure you are well prepare for premed and med school.

Ryo-Ohki :
"When did the University of Chicago become the 2nd ranked MBA program in the world? "

I will have to agree with you :) If Michigan is not #2 MBA school.
then I don't think University of Chicago is.
GO BLUE :)

Good luck MBA_DOC

john

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
When did the University of Chicago become the 2nd ranked MBA program in the world?

Since when did SDN turn into [insert lame board name here]?

I hate when people start talking and say :

"Yale and Stanford have nothing on Harvard law"
"Although Harvard tries it's just not Hopkins med"
"Yale MBA is just lame! It's just not Harvard"
"Anyone who chooses Penn over S/Y/H/P is a loser"
... and the list goes on!

So what if it's not #2 (there are soooo many rankings out there today that i am sure it is #2 somewhere)?

Originally posted by Tezzie
Since when did SDN turn into [insert lame board name here]?

I hate when people start talking and say :

"Yale and Stanford have nothing on Harvard law"
"Although Harvard tries it's just not Hopkins med"
"Yale MBA is just lame! It's just not Harvard"
"Anyone who chooses Penn over S/Y/H/P is a loser"
... and the list goes on!

So what if it's not #2 (there are soooo many rankings out there today that i am sure it is #2 somewhere)?

This is the first time I'm in full agreement with you.

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki

I recall that UChicago is a top 3 MBA program for virtually every concentration as rated by BusinessWeek. These rankings, not US News, are the only ones that really matter on Wall Street.

No kidding? Interesting.

Yeah, at the time I graduated, the U of C was ranked #2 by Business Week. I think its still up there in the top 3 or 4.

Of course, not that it matters now.....:laugh:

Do you folks think U of C Med School would look at that kind of background and go hmmmmm?

============================

Best Car Chase Scene in Motion Picture History - Matrix Reloaded

MBA_doc obviously you want to stay in Chicago for med school right?

I am not so sure how UChicago med will see it but i think you should definately have a shot at Loyola and UIC.