A Dose of Non-trad Motivation (Quotes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I love this thread!

Here are a few more:

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, they make them.
--George Bernard Shaw

Anything you can imagine is real.
--Pablo Picasso

I will not fear. Fear is a mind-killer. Fear is a little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it's gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
--Frank Herbert

We are like tea bags - we don't know our strength until we're in hot water.
--Sister Busche

The more you prepare, the luckier you appear.
--Terry Josephson

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great thread!

I love "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Said by Louis Pasteur and it's my favorite. I quote it to my children all the time. I don't believe in chance as a means of finding success.

Anything you can imagine is real.
--Pablo Picasso.

True, but only with the hard work to back it up. Nothing comes free in this world and I am tired of the people who think that their dreams will just come true by sitting on the couch. Kudos to those on this forum. Keep working hard. You are truly an inspiration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this thread. I have always been a fan of quotes and all these are awsome. Here are some I live by:

"It concerns us to know the purposes we seek
in life, for then, like archers aiming at a definite mark, we shall be
more likely to attain what we desire." -- Aristotle

"The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created--created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination."
--John Schaar

"Challenges make life interesting; however, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."--Mark Twain

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance". --Derek Bok

Two of my simple faves:

"If you have not consciously made the decision to be rich, excellent, and healthy then you have unconsciously made the decision to be poor, mediocre and unhealthy." -Wallace D. Wattles

"Continue to surprise those who would put you in a neat demographic. Be insistently curious." -Gordon Gee

‎"Failure will never overtake me if my desire to succeed is great enough." -Og Mandino

a few of my personal favs:

"It is not the mountain we conqeour, it is ourselves." Sir Edmond Hillary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." Arthur C Clarke

and of course for humor :)
"Are we there yet Papa Smurf?"

Last edited:
a few of my personal favs:

"It is not the mountain we conqeour, it is ourselves." Sir Edmond Hillary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venhture a little way pst them into the impossible." Arthur C Clarke

and of course for humor :)
"Are we there yet Papa Smurf?"

I was reading your blog and it is AWESOME! Congratulations on your achievements and finding your true "calling"!!!! People like you are the ones who make people like me don't give up on crazy late nights and the huge stresses that come along with being a pre-med. Wish you the best of luck in med-school, you will be a GREAT doctor =)

I was reading your blog and it is AWESOME! Congratulations on your achievements and finding your true "calling"!!!! People like you are the ones who make people like me don't give up on crazy late nights and the huge stresses that come along with being a pre-med. Wish you the best of luck in med-school, you will be a GREAT doctor =)

:oops:

thank you so much for the compliment :)

this is precisely the reason why i started the blog. i want to show people that it is possible with a family....that it can be done even when the chips seem stacked against you.

This is always on my desk, has been for years.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

WOW I love this!!! SO much truth in it.

This one has probably been heard and read over and over, but I love it..and when I feel down sometimes I read it and it sure makes me stick to the fight. :D

Don't Quit:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

"Every ceiling, when reached, becomes a floor, upon which one walks as a matter of course and prescriptive right."
Aldous Huxley

Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless self promotion and I'm bumping an old thread with some new quotes to encourage you all to hang in there and go for (and hopefully encouraging you to post some more of your own ;) )

"Ever notice that 'what the hell' is always the right decision?" ~Marilyn Monroe

also my friend had this as her facebook status and it cracked me up

"After Mon & Tues even the calendar says "WTF"

Disappointment often focuses on the failure of our own agenda rather than on God's long-term purposes for us, which may use stress and struggle as tools for strengthening our spiritual muscles.
Luci Shaw

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
Josh Billings

Your inner world controls your outer world. Learn to improve your inner world, and your outer world would be affected too.
Remez Sasson

What you think today is what you live tomorrow.
Remez Sasson

One of my fav's :
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

"The mouse is not despicable for its form, which is a helpless victim to birds of prey, the mouse who loves dark places and cheese and pistachio nuts and syrup. When the white falcon, though, has the inner nature of a mouse, it is a disgrace to all animals." -Rumi

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - Gibran Khalil Gibran (Not JFK!)

The last one is just random trivia ;).

"Without continuous personal development you are now all that you will ever become,
and hell starts when the person you are, meets the person you could have been."

Eli Cohen

So. Almost every year my mother chooses a theme for her Xmas presents to the family. A couple of years ago it was signs: she basically went out and got everyone in the family a sign that she felt best represented their personality. Mine was

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln.

Three months later I was registered at the local CC to start my pre-req courses.

T. Roosevelt

I love this quote. Here is another one of my favorites:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
-Marianne Williamson
(also attributed to Nelson Madela)

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell-

I guess it's not really motivational unless you are one of the "rough men."

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell-

I guess it's not really motivational unless you are one of the "rough men."

:thumbup:

"Without continuous personal development you are now all that you will ever become,

Eli Cohen
I absolutely love this quote! It was "meeting the person I could have been" that got me back in school.

"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

- Theodore Roosevelt.

Don't ever look behind at the work you've done
For your work has just begun

Cat Stevens

Just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be

Queen

there are sooo many wonderful quotes posted in here!-))))))
this is very motivating)

""Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" Who do you want to be ???"
george bernard shaw

“Life is the art of drawing without an eraser”
Gardner

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
Ashley Smith

Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Steve Jobs

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

About all you can do in life is be who you are.
Rita Mae Brown

We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.”
Dale Carnegie

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
Buddha

</SPAN>
The mind is everything. What you think you become.
Buddha

</SPAN>

a few more :

"There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein

"Dreams die hard, and we hold them long in our hands after they have turned to dust." from the movie 'Dragonheart'

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”
- John Bingham

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". Christopher Robin to Pooh

"Don't eat yellow snow."

-My Dad

"Not all those who wander are lost"

JRR Tolkien, LoTR

"Don't eat yellow snow."

-My Dad

also from my dad along with:

"excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink"

"you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose"

and my favorite from my dad :)

"close only counts in horsehoes and handgrenades"

from my mom:

You can do things because of your circumstances or in spite of them. But doing things because of your circumstances rarely makes you happy.

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step" - Laozi

"Listen, guys, I put my pants on just like the rest you: one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records." - The Bruce Dickinson

Last edited:
My favorite aphorism from my old Ancient Greek textbook was

Chalepa ta kala,

Beautiful things are difficult.

Eli Cohen

That quote is money! I love it!

This quote was the one that ultimately inspired me to quit my job and go back to school (it was a gift on a paperweight).

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
- Unknown

(some feel-good motivation)
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
-C. S. Lewis

(a lil bit of truth)
Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain.
-Walter, The Big Lebowski

(and a touch of resolve)
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.
-Alfred Montapert

"Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world." - Joel Barker

Random aphorisms, most of which are unattributed and depressing, but from all of which I take some form of grim comfort:

• "Pain is a reminder of life."
  • "Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional."
  • "Suffering strengthens character."
  • "Time to sleep when you're dead."
  • "Don't drop the spoons."
  • "Sometimes they just die."
  • "Make the choice that results in the best story."
  • "Eat a live frog first thing each morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day."
  • "If you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill
  • "Nothing to it but to do it." -- Ibrahim Abdulla

There are others, mostly from songs or novels, but I'll spare you. Generally these are my "quote of the moment", and this changes frequently; today, it's "You only hear the music when your heart begins to break." -- My Chemical Romance, in "The Kids from Yesterday"

[*]"Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional."

There are others, mostly from songs or novels, but I'll spare you. Generally these are my "quote of the moment", and this changes frequently; today, it's "You only hear the music when your heart begins to break." -- My Chemical Romance, in "The Kids from Yesterday"
My personal take on the first one (currently in permanent ink on my left shoulder) "Pain is transitory, Glory is eternal".

Funny you mention the MCR quote. My daughter has gotten me listening to them more and more and TKfY is one of my favorite songs by them. Was very upset when I took the kids to a concert this spring and they didn't play that OR Sing (I mean, really? we heard the song on the radio three times on the way up, it was when it was hitting it's peak popularity).

313259_10150896047145451_135692855450_21658749_484149745_n.jpg

"Fortune favors the bold." - Virgil

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." - William Wallace

thank you for these

feeling a little...:scared: today

One I kept with me from high school....
"Dance like no one is watching, work like you don't need money, love like you have never been hurt"
(don't be afraid to let go and be you)

"Success and excuses do not walk the same path. If you want success, don't give excuses. If you give excuses, don't expect success"

"Do or do not. There is no try" -yoda

Last edited:
If ever you get lonely
And if ever you feel blue
Just remember that the great oak tree
Was once a nut like you.

:)

also from my dad along with:

"excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink"

"you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose"

and my favorite from my dad :)

"close only counts in horsehoes and handgrenades"

Do we have the same dad? :)