A couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobDoleX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i had a few questions that i was hoping people could answer. I'm currently a senior at the university of illinois champaign-urbana, i have a 3.6 GPA in molecular and cellular biology + a chem minor, and i'm expecting to get around a 360/370 on my oat (from the practice exams i've taken anyway).

Since i'm gona have to be applying to schools relatively soon, I was hoping some people could give me an insight on a couple schools. I've read in the forums that there really isn't a decent ranking of the optometry schools. However, which schools would people generally agree on that have a pretty good reputation? The reason why i ask this is because I'm thinking that going to a better school would mean better job opportunities when you graduate.

also, generally how easy is it to get a job after graduation and what kind of salary can i expect in the midwest? i've been kinda having second thoughts about optometry when i compare it to similar health fields.

any insight is welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

While im not exactly the most knowledgeable regarding the area of your questions, with a 3.6 gpa and the oat score your predicting, you should be able to get into pretty much where ever man.

As far as income, i also looked into this, apparently the majority of resources say that the average is b/w 92k to 120k, if this is indeed an accurate representation, i have no clue (still finishin up my undergrad and am about to take oat:)). Anyhow i doubt any of this helped out but good luck with whatever ur planning:thumbup:

i'm not too worried about getting into optometry school unless i really do bomb the oat but recently, reading stuff on this forum has kinda put my mind in turmoil. i just want to make sure the investment in OAT school will pay off with a stable and well-paying job vs. going to med school or pharm school.

Does anybody know how initial salary compares with pharmacy? i've read alot on the internet about it but i was wondering if people with actual experience would be able to tell me. Also, is demand pretty decent? I just don't want to go to optometry school and start regretting it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how initial salary compares with pharmacy? i've read alot on the internet about it but i was wondering if people with actual experience would be able to tell me. Also, is demand pretty decent? I just don't want to go to optometry school and start regretting it.

Wait for it... wait for it...

I think that you need to reflect on what you expect from your future job and yourself. Honestly, just put yourself into whichever position and see which you feel more comfortable with. Salary is not all that is involved in a career.. it's what you do.

Pharmacists generally make more money than optometrists. If you want more money go for that route. With your high grades and good standardized test taking skills. Your ability to get accepted into optometry schools is probably just the same as getting into pharm schools.

The two fields are completely different, so do your research by observing professionals or looking at websites.

i dont know i guess i'm not really sure on what i want. i guess i should've looked into all of this before my senior year. i was actually initially going to be pharmacy but i realized i would never be able to work in such an environment for the next 40 some years. i mean, a pay cut from pharmacy wouldn't be that big of a deal since i think optometry is a much more interesting job.

i was also halfway considering medicine. i'm wont nearly be close to being a top canidate for med school but i feel like i would be able to get into a couple places. however, i don't think ill be able to seperate myself well enough from other med school students and i'll be stuck working in a hospital (which i'm opposed to because i don't want the stressful environment + bad hours and whatnot). I picked optometry because i felt like it was a profession i could enjoy (vs the other options) and is something i'm fairly interested in.

Really i guess when it comes down to it, is getting approximately 90,000 when i graduate (i'm not trying to be too greedy, i just feel like there should be a decent return in the 120,000 investment of opt. school) too much to ask for? Also, another concern is would i be able to get a job fairly easy (especially in the midwest/chicago area)? Would me going to a better school such as UC-Berkley help those chances? Thanks

lol i finally took a closer look at ur name bobdolex, funny name lol, i hadnt even bothered to look at it when i first replied.

Anyhow, ive actually been contemplating almost the same things you have and well to get to the point, according to bls by 2016 the projected practicing optometrist will increase by 3k with a pay range from 65k to 118k while the projected pharmicts in work in same period will increase by 60k with a pay range between 85k and 109k (the data is pretty close to the these numbers). I live in houston and apparently new optomerists here generally make 65k (not entirely sure if this is true) while new pharmacists make around 94-98k.

Ive also arrived at the same pros and cons as you and as you, i am also confused and undecided on which path to choose.

I sat on the admissions board for PCO for two years and with the GPA and OAT score you are describing you shouldn't have any problem getting into school. That said, have you done anything else to involve yourself in the profession? Shadowed an optometrist? Worked with an optometrist? Many of the things I (and the other board members) looked for were non grade related. With only 13 schools you have to realize that most students applying are within the top percent of their class, so what makes you stand out? I for instance didn't get into school right out of college b/c of grades. I took three years off, entered into school and graduated in the top five of my class. So grades aren't everything.......it's how much do you want it?

As far as the schools go, you have to research which school is right for you. PCO for instance gives students much more clinical training/practice than most through its externship programs. SUNY is well known for pediatric, UCB for research, etc. No matter where you you will be looked at the same once in private practice. I haven't had a single patient ask me where I went or one who knew anything about the individual schools.

i think that extra-cirriculars are definately my weakest point. I've had a steady job for the past few years and i've moved up to supervisor. i also have a decent amount of volunteer hours and am somewhat involved in a few groups in school. i havn't really shadow'd an optometrist yet but i plan on doing that this summer. really, i wish i could have been more active but living in such a big campus without a car has been kinda hard but im hoping to be more active senior year, not just for colleges but to see if it's absolutely what i want to do.

also, so i mean, ive heard everywhere that your schooling doesn't matter after your first job. however, are there certain schools that would help in getting a better first job? are there schools that companies actively go after or is it all basically just the same?

Last edited:
if money is what you're worried about, there are plenty of other careers in this world you could pursue other than optometry.

and the comment about IAUPR was unnecessary, you should probably spend a little more time looking into the profession and speaking with other practitioners in the field.

well money really isn't my main concern and i hope i didn't come off like that. i think optometry will fit me well and ill enjoy it. however, like many of you would agree, salary does come into play when choosing your career and i just want to make sure that spending the additional $120,000+ and four years of education won't result in me spending a year after graduation looking for a job and then settling for something that pays relatively low wages.

also, i apologize about the IAUPR comment, i have removed it.

well money really isn't my main concern and i hope i didn't come off like that. i think optometry will fit me well and ill enjoy it. however, like many of you would agree, salary does come into play when choosing your career and i just want to make sure that spending the additional $120,000+ and four years of education won't result in me spending a year after graduation looking for a job and then settling for something that pays relatively low wages.

also, i apologize about the IAUPR comment, i have removed it.

It depends who you talk to. Salary reports from the BLS have OD's ranging in the upper 90ks.

The most recent AOA economic survey stated the 2006 national mean was $131,197. That is a decrease from the 2004 national mean of $136,898. Self-employed ODs earned a mean of $175,329. The survey is self-reported, so the numbers are probably inflated.

Talking to recent graduates at my school... they usually start off around 70-80 in private practice. Corporate locations are much higher (100k+).

also, so i mean, ive heard everywhere that your schooling doesn't matter after your first job. however, are there certain schools that would help in getting a better first job? are there schools that companies actively go after or is it all basically just the same?

from what I've been told, the optometry school you graduated from doesn't matter when looking for a job. it's the fact that you have an OD degree. if you're worried about getting a job, you might want to consider doing a residency to set you apart from the other graduates.

alright yeah, that was kinda the information i've been looking for. thanks for the information guys! i guess i'm already at the point where i wouldn't be able to anything else unless i take a year off from school but i feel that optometry should be good for me.