A call for help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastlane123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I have completed my first semester of junior year, and have approximately a 2.35 uGPA. I have done the research and I know it's less than desirable. Undesirable. I have 1.5 years left of my "4 year", and realistically I have my work cut out for me if I want to bring up my GPA and graduate with some dignity. That being said, I have arranged my remaining courses such that I would take them with some of the most intelligent students I know that would push me to do better, and hopefully make my theoretical plan of achieving 4.0s for the rest of my college career a reality. But what I lack is discipline, and more importantly, a path for the future.

I am going to take an extra semester to retake some of my lowest courses (1 F and a D to grade replace and others to retake), and just re-evaluate my goals and my 5-10-15 year plan over the course of that period. Then for the following "semester", I am considering working as a medical scribe to gain some practical experience as well as earn some money (my parents are ever-supportive, but I have to begin my course to independence, I have disappointed them enough), and throughout that year, begin applying to SMP's (I don't believe myself capable to apply and get accepted directly into medical school, nor do I believe myself to have the discipline to jump into that level of intensity without failing).

What I lack from here is:
-When do I take the MCAT
-What do I need to do to strengthen my discipline and mentality
-How do I improve my application
(I have a summer of research at a medical school under my belt, an internship having to do with mosquito control, and so far a semester of on-campus research. I am also starting volunteering the coming semester.)
-When and how do I begin the application process
-Any small or big details I am missing

I understand there are numerous detailed posts about much of what I have mentioned, and I am reading through as many as I can find, but I would like to know the good and bad of my specific situation, and what I need to do to turn it around so I can achieve my ambition of becoming a doctor. So far my years in college have been all talk, and no action, and I am suffering the consequences of it right now. I am determined to reach my goal no matter what, but I need to correct guidance to do so. Idealistically, I can't see myself doing anything except being a servant for the world through medicine, so I appeal to you, the medical community to help me grow.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. No. No. With ur GPA it’s over :( start considering other careers

You need to raise your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 and continue taking undergraduate level courses until you reach that 3.0 . Take the MCAT when you have completed all the science and social science prerequisites (including biochemistry) AND your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue isn’t that mathematically the gpa can’t be fixed (I mean technically it’s just mostly impossible). The issue is that people who get a 2.35 for 2.5yrs don’t usually become 4.0 students overnight. Everyone says they are committed and will do whatever it takes because words are easy.

Going from 2.35 to 4.0 is not easy.

How are you the unicorn here? What about you is so different? And I know I’m being tough here but you need to know the answers to these questions

Reactions: 4 users
As of right now, I have completed my first semester of junior year, and have approximately a 2.35 uGPA. I have done the research and I know it's less than desirable. Undesirable. I have 1.5 years left of my "4 year", and realistically I have my work cut out for me if I want to bring up my GPA and graduate with some dignity. That being said, I have arranged my remaining courses such that I would take them with some of the most intelligent students I know that would push me to do better, and hopefully make my theoretical plan of achieving 4.0s for the rest of my college career a reality. But what I lack is discipline, and more importantly, a path for the future.

I am going to take an extra semester to retake some of my lowest courses (1 F and a D to grade replace and others to retake), and just re-evaluate my goals and my 5-10-15 year plan over the course of that period. Then for the following "semester", I am considering working as a medical scribe to gain some practical experience as well as earn some money (my parents are ever-supportive, but I have to begin my course to independence, I have disappointed them enough), and throughout that year, begin applying to SMP's (I don't believe myself capable to apply and get accepted directly into medical school, nor do I believe myself to have the discipline to jump into that level of intensity without failing).

What I lack from here is:
-When do I take the MCAT
-What do I need to do to strengthen my discipline and mentality
-How do I improve my application
(I have a summer of research at a medical school under my belt, an internship having to do with mosquito control, and so far a semester of on-campus research. I am also starting volunteering the coming semester.)
-When and how do I begin the application process
-Any small or big details I am missing

I understand there are numerous detailed posts about much of what I have mentioned, and I am reading through as many as I can find, but I would like to know the good and bad of my specific situation, and what I need to do to turn it around so I can achieve my ambition of becoming a doctor. So far my years in college have been all talk, and no action, and I am suffering the consequences of it right now. I am determined to reach my goal no matter what, but I need to correct guidance to do so. Idealistically, I can't see myself doing anything except being a servant for the world through medicine, so I appeal to you, the medical community to help me grow.
Read this:
Goro’s advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Visit your school's learning or education center for help with study techniques, time mgt, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. No. No. With ur GPA it’s over :( start considering other careers

I get where you're coming from, but I do have to disagree with you there, I don't believe in resigning myself to the impossible. I understand I may not be the best student, but I won't let myself give up. I do appreciate you taking the time to post though :)

Reactions: 1 user
You need to raise your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 and continue taking undergraduate level courses until you reach that 3.0 . Take the MCAT when you have completed all the science and social science prerequisites (including biochemistry) AND your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher.

Understood, thank you for your input, I will work to do so. I am taking an extra semester to retake my lower classes as well, so over the span of the coming 4 semesters, I will focus on improving my grades

Don’t worry about the MCAT for several years if ever. Focus completely on your cGPA and sGPA. You can work on your ECs after you start to make progress on your GPA. If you manage to string the next three semesters with all
As , you might benefit from a post bacc, either a formal one or a DIY. I don’t think a SMP program with take you without at a 3.0. But you can search that out yourself. SMP programs and very difficult, are very expensive and very risky. If you don’t score 3.7+ in the SMP program it’s game over.

What makes you even think you can start getting straight As at this point?