A brazilian need your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaomaga

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! My name is João and I'm from Brazil. First of all, sorry for any grammar mistake, english isn't my first language.

I'm a dental student in the University of São Paulo (USP), but I tried to enter in a medical school first, but unfortunately I failed. I'm very happy being a dental student, but I still want to treat not only the mouth and teeth, but the body as a whole.

Do you guys know how can I integrate dentistry and systemic health? Even if I have to work abroad, 'cause I think in Brazil I won't find something different than the traditional clinic job.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists generally have a very limited scope of practice. I think as a dentist, the closest to treating the whole body would be oral surgery or possibly pathology.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not try practicing traditional dentistry for a while? You may find you are busy and happy enough doing that.

We aren’t medical doctors. And frankly many medical doctors aren’t treating the whole body either, they are specialized in very specific things.

Reactions: 4 users
Brazilian D2 Student here.

You can become an OMFS. That'll require dental and medical school (4 years for each) and grant you "physician" status and scope of practice. Also here in US we get Doctorate degrees for both, vs bachelors in Brasil.

Sou brasileiro tb e moro aqui em Connecticut, sou um D2 na University of New England. Qualquer pergunta, so chamar, abraço!