a birth control question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

so after my lecture last week i had a student come to my ofice and ask me the following

What accounts for the 2% rate of condom failure provided u use it perfectly and use it at every sexual act, and it does not break.....he then asked 2 other questions

if i use a comdom and pull out before i ejaculate does this remove that 2% failure rate, and can sperm leak out of the base of the condom even if its on properly???

he is a college freshman

i explained to him that it was highly unlikely that sperm could leak out of the condom if it was on properly and as long as you were still erect i also explained to him the the larger failure reat of about 10 % of condoms was due to missuse or inconsistant use.....his responce was "yea but what if u use it right every time" i was not really sure what to say then but explained that there is alwasy a small risk even with the Pill

i think he was just a nervious inexperiances 18 y/o who had some concerns

i figured i would post here and ask if my words were accurate...my students seem to truse me because i am the youngest faculty member in the department, im sure i will get more questions of this nature in the future

did i leave anything out
figured id ask the experts

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of condom use the most recent random clinical trial was in 2004 which quoted a 1% failure. However 2005 data from Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education showed condom failure was reported by 34.1% of 481 males in the study. In addition STD prevention from condoms was studied by University of Alabama at Birmingham on 427 women and randomization did not seem to differ in STD protection secondary to inperfect use. I would suggest modeling the technique of placement to your adolescent to decrease std transmission and unwanted pregnancy.

Effectiveness of the male latex condom: combined results for three popular condom brands used as controls in randomized clinical trials.

Walsh TL, Frezieres RG, Peacock K, Nelson AL, Clark VA, Bernstein L, Wraxall BG.

Research Division, California Family Health Council, 3600 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 600, Los Angeles, CA 90010, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Although public health programs invest heavily in the male latex condom, its efficacy in preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease has been based primarily on in vitro and retrospective studies. METHODS: We combine the results from two randomized, controlled contraceptive efficacy trials that used commercial latex condoms brands (Ramses Sensitol, LifeStyles, Trojan-Enz) in the control arms. Combining data from the two studies, we obtained longitudinal data covering 3526 menstrual cycles contributed by approximately 800 couples who used latex condoms exclusively for up to six menstrual cycles. Both trials also collected 3715 detailed breakage and slippage reports from the first five study condom uses. The second trial also tested 243 postcoital vaginal samples collected after the first study condom use for the presence of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and spermatazoa. RESULTS: The combined clinical breakage rate for the first five condom uses was 0.4% for the three latex brands and the combined clinical slippage rate was 1.1%. The combined six-cycle typical-use pregnancy rate for the latex condoms was 7.0% (95% confidence interval 5.0-9.0). The combined six-cycle consistent-use pregnancy rate was 1.0% (95% confidence interval 0.0-2.1). PSA was detected in only 1.2% of postcoital vaginal samples collected after the first use of an intact study condom. There were no differences in performance or efficacy among the three latex brands tested. CONCLUSIONS: The male latex condoms rarely broke or slipped off during intercourse and provided high contraceptive efficacy, especially when used consistently. Risk of semen leakage from intact condoms was very low.

Correlates of condom failure among adolescent males: an exploratory study.

Crosby RA, Diclemente RJ, Wingood GM, Salazar LF, Rose E, Levine D, Brown L, Lescano C, Pugatch D, Flanigan T, Fernandez I, Schlenger W, Silver BJ.

Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, GA 30322, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: To identify the prevalence and correlates of condom failure (defined as breakage or slipping off in the past 90 days) among a sample of adolescent males (15 to 21 years of age). DESIGN: A cross-sectional study of 481 condom-using males residing in three US cities (Atlanta, GA, Providence RI, Miami FL). Data were collected, in the years 2000 and 2001, using audio computer-assisted self-interviewing technology. Prevalence ratios were used to determine the strength and significance of bivariate associations between ten assessed correlates and condom failure. Correlates achieving a screening level of significance were entered into a multivariate model that was used to calculate adjusted odds ratios (AOR). RESULTS: Recent condom failure was reported by 34.1%. Younger adolescents were about one-third less likely to report condom failure (AOR = 0.66; P = 0.4). Adolescents reporting multiple sex partners were about 80% more likely to report failure (AOR = 1.84; P = 0.09). Adolescents indicating they had sex with someone on the same day they met the person were about 80% more likely to report failure (AOR = 1.77; P = 0.02). Finally, adolescents indicating recent problems obtaining condoms were about 70% more likely to report failure (AOR = 1.69; P = 0.1). Failure was not less common among those reporting a history of STD infection or those ever impregnating a partner. CONCLUSION: Because adolescent males may commonly experience condom failure, targeted clinic- and community-based programs designed to reduce user error could be an important aspect of preventing pregnancy and the spread of STDs.

Sex Transm Dis. 2005 Nov;32(11):672-9. Related Articles, Links

A randomized trial of clinician-delivered interventions promoting barrier contraception for sexually transmitted disease prevention.

Artz L, Macaluso M, Meinzen-Derr J, Kelaghan J, Austin H, Fleenor M, Hook EW 3rd, Brill I.

Department of Epidemiology and International Health, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA.

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to compare 2 interventions promoting condoms and vaginal microbicides to prevent sexually transmitted disease (STD). STUDY: Women (N = 427) attending an STD clinic were randomly assigned to 2 clinician-delivered interventions and followed up monthly to assess condom/microbicide use and incidence of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis. RESULTS: During follow up, condom use rates were 69% (enhanced) and 49% (basic) and microbicide use rates were 44% and 29%, respectively. STD rates did not significantly differ between intervention groups. Perfect condom use (regardless of intervention arm) was associated with a 3-fold decrease in STD rates (relative risk [RR], 0.3; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.1-0.8). Using a vaginal microbicide during > or =50% of the acts of intercourse was associated with reduced STD rates (RR, 0.5; 95% CI, 0.3-1.0) across intervention groups and condom use categories. CONCLUSIONS: The enhanced intervention increased use of condoms and vaginal microbicide; however, STD rates did not decrease because a protective effect was seen only among perfect barrier users, and the enhanced intervention only modestly increased perfect use.