A big hello and other stuff!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarleShadow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Basically, I'm in the UK, starting my second year in a computer science course, but ultimately wishing to start in medicine after I complete this course.

But firstly, hello! I'm currently 22, studying computer science and, for most of my life, wished to be a doctor, even so far as to purchasing:

'Grey's anatomy for student's'
'Kumars & Clarks, Clinical Medicine' and finally,
'Rang and Dale's , Pharmacology'

And, for awhile, intently studied Grey's anatomy's first few pages (edit: That's to page 80-100, incase you were wondering), but without even the foggest idea where most people start studying medicine, I ended up putting my notes away until I could get an idea of how most UK medicine schools work, so I could start studying now (My current course is passable by people with only one hemisphere), with the ultimate idea of making my first year of medical school not as hellish as people make it out to be.

Anyway, to cut this story short, of 'cliffnotes' ( :) ), I just wanted to say Hi and see if anyone from the UK or anywhere could make afew pointers/give advice on what I should looking at.

n.b. If a mod wants to move this to somewhere more appropriate, because I'm not sure this is the right place.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.

Basically, I'm in the UK, starting my second year in a computer science course, but ultimately wishing to start in medicine after I complete this course.

But firstly, hello! I'm currently 22, studying computer science and, for most of my life, wished to be a doctor, even so far as to purchasing:

'Grey's anatomy for student's'
'Kumars & Clarks, Clinical Medicine' and finally,
'Rang and Dale's , Pharmacology'

And, for awhile, intently studied Grey's anatomy's first few pages (edit: That's to page 80-100, incase you were wondering), but without even the foggest idea where most people start studying medicine, I ended up putting my notes away until I could get an idea of how most UK medicine schools work, so I could start studying now (My current course is passable by people with only one hemisphere), with the ultimate idea of making my first year of medical school not as hellish as people make it out to be.

Anyway, to cut this story short, of 'cliffnotes' ( :) ), I just wanted to say Hi and see if anyone from the UK or anywhere could make afew pointers/give advice on what I should looking at.

n.b. If a mod wants to move this to somewhere more appropriate, because I'm not sure this is the right place.
Hello, and welcome!

After you read around these forums for a while, you'll probably see that most of the advice is geared toward helping U.S.-educated folks gain admission to U.S. medical schools.

Assuming that you're aiming for a 2:1 or a first with an eye on graduate entry into British medical schools, let me refer you to newmediamedicine.com which is sort of the British version of SDN. They can better assist you.

The major question you must ask yourself is: why are you so interested in medicine? The media portrays the life of a medical student and physician very differently from reality and the effort needed to gain admission, to stay in medical school, and to function as a physician really is Herculean. I would start by contacting physicians right now and spending some time around them (shadowing) so that you can see if you really want to do this.

Good luck!

Hello, and welcome!

After you read around these forums for a while, you'll probably see that most of the advice is geared toward helping U.S.-educated folks gain admission to U.S. medical schools.

Assuming that you're aiming for a 2:1 or a first with an eye on graduate entry into British medical schools, let me refer you to newmediamedicine.com which is sort of the British version of SDN. They can better assist you.

The major question you must ask yourself is: why are you so interested in medicine? The media portrays the life of a medical student and physician very differently from reality and the effort needed to gain admission, to stay in medical school, and to function as a physician really is Herculean. I would start by contacting physicians right now and spending some time around them (shadowing) so that you can see if you really want to do this.

Good luck!

Hi!

Thanks for the link, I saw the other site at the same time as this one, but figured that since I couldn't figure out if this was a mixed medical site or just an American one.

And I couldn't tell you why I really want to be a doctor, I know there is a hell of alot of work, but when I look at verses what I see my friends doing, I know I'd rather be learning tons of new stuff and go home at the end of the day dead to the world, than go home complaining how they hate their job and how boring it is.

But I do like that Shadowing idea, I'll certainly be contacting my nearest hospital to see if I can't get behind a doctor for a day or 2.