(¯`•._.•==Texas Tech University Class of 2011==•._.•´¯)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd say over half. But it varies a little within the block. Some are availible but not printable. If you like taking notes on the computer, check out One Note program. I was going to use that and then relized I've learned from paper for too many years of my life. I pretty much only lug around my lap top to check my e-mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Holy crap! I totally forgot about the need for a garage/covered parking. There has been so many hail storms in a past few years, and I am getting a new car in a month! I need to re-evaluate my criteria.

I agree on the freezing food thing. I often made a huge pan of lasagna and froze portions for lunch, it was a better meal than the cafeteria food. What else do you make that freezes well?

My roommate and I rent a 3-3 duplex (we use the extra room as a study and a guest room for things like training weekend). Rent is $900 - including lawn care. Electric, utilities, water ends up being anywhere from $100-180 a month. We actually don't have cable cause the few shows we have time to watch are on TV you can get with bunny ears:)
BIG HUGE ADVANTAGE of a house is my car has been in a garage for the three hail storms we've had recently!
Down side of a duplex over a house is when the neighbors have three small children. But the upside is they don't password protect their wireless internet.
I would recomend buying an extra freezer if you live with roommates in a house though. It is a huge time/money saver and helps you eat better food. Make a bunch of things up at the start of the year, freeze it, and then you're set. Whenever you do cook something, just make a lot of it and freeze it in individual portions. Then when you wake up 2 minutes before you leave for school, you can grab a lunch on the way out the door.
Okay now I'm just procrastinating. Look forward to meeting all of you this weekend!

Hey guys, I was looking at the Tech website and noticed they posted a computer requirements link on the student affairs page http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/.

Does anyone know why they say that you have to have a Dell laptop? I'm actually wanting to buy a laptop pretty soon, and I was wondering if the brand actually matters or not. Thanks, and it was nice meeting some of you at Spring Training :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was looking at the Tech website and noticed they posted a computer requirements link on the student affairs page http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/.

Does anyone know why they say that you have to have a Dell laptop? I'm actually wanting to buy a laptop pretty soon, and I was wondering if the brand actually matters or not. Thanks, and it was nice meeting some of you at Spring Training :) .

Crap!!! Of course they post that NOW!! Right after I bought a new HP laptop!! My old laptop gave out on me, and I searched everywhere about their requirements and other students said basically any decent laptop would do fine..... grr. Any body else not buying a dell?

My old laptop was a dell... it crashed quite a few times over the years. Dell tech support used to be good, but not anymore... I strongly dislike dell!

They say all that stuff about Dell because Dell has a contract with Tech.

Just get a decent computer (preferably one that meets the min. requirements on the website).

They say all that stuff about Dell because Dell has a contract with Tech.

Just get a decent computer (preferably one that meets the min. requirements on the website).

The only requirement that my new comp doesn't meet is Windows XP. It has Vista... do you think this will be a major problem? :scared:

Seriously guys, the requirements posted on the webpage is just for people who know absolutely nothing about a computer and need some guidelines.
Other than that, get whatever you computer you will feel most comfortable viewing pdf, powerpoints, WebCT, e-mail, chat, YouTube videos, downloading mp3s, and voting on HotorNot.com

Other than that, get whatever you computer you will feel most comfortable viewing pdf, powerpoints, WebCT, e-mail, chat, YouTube videos, downloading mp3s, and voting on HotorNot.com
Preferably all this stuff will occur during lecture. At least that's how I roll.

I have an apartment lease that I am trying to find someone to take over. I absolutely LOVE the apartment, but it doesn't have washer/dryer connections and I really want to move somewhere that does. The apartment is a 2/1 with two sink areas. The rent is 550 and you pay water and electricity (never above 180 total for me and my husband). If you are interested or know someone who might be, please pm me.

Post this on the 2011 facebook group to increase your chances. Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2242295618

I have an apartment lease that I am trying to find someone to take over. I absolutely LOVE the apartment, but it doesn't have washer/dryer connections and I really want to move somewhere that does. The apartment is a 2/1 with two sink areas. The rent is 550 and you pay water and electricity (never above 180 total for me and my husband). If you are interested or know someone who might be, please pm me.

If anyone is interested, I think the other half of my duplex will be vacant soon. It's around 79th and Frankford. 3 bedroom/3 bath/2 car garage Rent is $1000/month. I have one roommate on my side of the duplex and we use the spare bedroom as a study. It's great. My roommate and I will be MSIIs next year, and we are very quiet. I'm hoping to get quiet neighbors to replace the current ones with their three screaming kids.

Hi all -
I just got off the WL to go to tx tech med! I'm super duper excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since this could directly affect you guys (and since I'm sure the administration won't spring it on you until you show up), I've decided to post this so you guys will be aware:

Hello Committee,
Here is the work I promised as we start on to looking at a proposed dress code. I have cc'd Dr. Mcmahan and Dr. Dalley for their thoughts on this as well.
Need for this policy
- no current standard
- ECE and clerkships asks for "professional attire" with some statements of shirts and ties for men and appropriate attire but most do not have precise or clear standards
- the most exact code is within the Ob/Gyn clerkship and residency with very clear standards (I borrowed from their policy with permission)
- two major goals could be considered in our deliberations
1) when are current trends in attire detracting to patient care and professional appearance? Specific concerns in this area are the wearing of clothes with midriffs, low neck lines with increasing amounts of cleavage exposed, high slits in skirts with increasing amount of leg exposure. These observations come from faculty members who feel this report should come to me as well as patients from my clinic.
2) lest this become nothing but a set of prohibitions, there is a larger picture we can look at here. A senior faculty member made this observation to me, "We are losing a measure of civility in this increasingly 'casual' world we live in. I truly feel that we would raise the level of professionalism and learning if we all dressed at a more professional level." I think this is well worth considering. So, a second consideration is would it be worthwhile to start a dress code that extended into the 1st and 2nd years even outside of the clinical encounters? My sincere hope is that we could raise the level of professionalism and learning at the school with this policy. Thus, I see this as a student advocacy, though I know many will not see it this way.
How to proceed
I have a sample draft for our discussion and consideration. I think key factors for the sucessful implementation of this include:
- student input for their understanding of our goals and our edification on their thoughts on attire, trends, and goals for professionalism. So, i think the class presidents and/or EPC members should be invited to meetings on these disscusions.
- fair accountability to both students and faculty on this policy. Hence, we can't be the final body on this. It will need ratification and distribution/implementation from the Faculty Executive Committee.
Thanks,
Tommie
Here is one of the articles sent to me by a concerned faculty member.
HEALTH | November 21, 2006
Essay: When Young Doctors Strut Too Much of Their Stuff
By ERIN N. MARCUS, M.D.
It seems that more and more medical students and young doctors show up for clinical work in less-than-professional attire.

Hey Guys! I know some of you are waiting for the book list. I checked with The Office of Curriculum today. Unfortunately the person in charge of putting it together had a family emergency at the beginning of this week AND one of the block directers is on their third computer of the week. SO they are working on it really hard and they said that if it is not out by June to give them a call and they can let you know the status. But you guys really don't need to worry about books yet anyways. Just wait until school starts and buy them cheap of the second years:)

If any 11ers are planning on living in the Lynnwood Townhomes and feeling generous, tell them that Ken Tobler (MSIII) referred you (i'll get hooked up with some money off of my rent, and I'll even split the difference with you).

If not already planning to, its a great complex of duplexes that have 3/3/2 and very pet friendly. Tell them you are a med student and they will try to put you on the quiet/family end of the complex. The owner (Elroy) is awesome, and most of the buildings are only 2-3 years old.

The rest of my advice:

1. Buy books off of half.com (but its good to visit the local store to glance through each one and see which ones you can do without)

2. The computer doesn't matter as long as you like it. (I like Dell, and I would recommend buying the 3 year hardware service agreement, it has really paid off for me, because you'll probably expect to get some bumps and bruises since you'll use the compy every day.)

Since this could directly affect you guys (and since I'm sure the administration won't spring it on you until you show up), I've decided to post this so you guys will be aware:

That is sure going to be a can of worms!! I have no problem with and agree that as MSIIIs and MSIVs there should be some level of professionalism... and it should be modeled after those above you (i.e. if the attendings on the clerkship wear ties, then you wear a tie). The low cut, more clevage, etc is a universal problem and again I agree with putting some breaks on that. A dress code for MSI and MSII year is the worst idea I have heard about in sometime. They think this will make learning better??? Don't we learn when we are comfortable?? I dunno about everyone, but I count the time down until I can get out of uncomfortable slacks and shirts. I sure hope my alma mater does not stoop to dress code for the BS years..... Incomers, fight that matter hard!!!!

EDIT: They mentioned that OB/Gyn has the only listed dress code... that is true. But my favorite part of their dress code is that 'you must wear street clothes into the hospital before changing into scrubs.' Well, define street clothes.... I wore shorts and a Tshirt to the OR to change...I got some looks, but I was following their rules...

hey! i applied to tech for next year, just curious how good yalls grades were... i'm so worried i won't get in, was this yalls first time to apply??:confused:

Where is everybody living? Heard anything about Peppertree Inn or Sundowner? The lady at Peppertree sounded cool and they had good reviews...Any advice of where to live?

Are there any places to avoid at all costs?

Where is everybody living? Heard anything about Peppertree Inn or Sundowner? The lady at Peppertree sounded cool and they had good reviews...Any advice of where to live?

Are there any places to avoid at all costs?

My husband lived at Peppertree during his undergrad years. The management was great and the apartment was good for the price. I'd recommend the townhouse-style apartments they have.

congrats to you all...we are looking forward to having you all as fellow students next year!

Brian
MSIII

Hope to meet everyone at the orientation tomorrow :).