tryingmybest99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to use the AP credits for the social sciences/history classes and possibly even the math classes if you have Calc AB/BC. Calc 3 is often easier in many colleges than calc 2, so if you have calc BC credit, use it and take calc 3. Maybe follow up with statistics to satisfy the 1 year of math for medical schools that don't accept AP math credits.

For science classes, if you use the AP credit make sure you take some upper level classes in the subject you used them in.

Moving to hSDN, the appropriate place for this discussion.

I don't have any UW specific advice but I recommend entering college and just enjoying your first quarter/semester without thinking about apply to medical school. Obviously study and do well in your classes but give your self time to adjust, find activities you enjoy that can provide a distraction from school, and make friends. Setting yourself up for a healthy, successful 4 years is a much better use of time your first semester than trying to jump into pre-med activities. You have plenty of time. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're still "pretty shy" (by this, I mean not exactly sure how you'll take advantage of UW's opportunities), I'd say take the full ride.

ASU's Honors College has plenty of interesting people.
Many of my classmates have gotten into much more well-known schools and have decided to attend ASU despite being overly familiar with the heat.

This is coming from someone who aims to do residency, and afterwards live, in Washington.

Just to give a little background about myself i got 2250 on my SATI (800 math, 750 reading, 700 writing) 3.91 UW gpa in all honors and ap. Oh and I was also wondering on how I should use my ap credits. I have 7 that would be accepted, but I'm thinking of not using my science and math credits, and I guess I'm also not sure if i should use my history/gov't/english credits. Advice plz

I have read several forums saying that University of Washington is bad for premed, but sadly, it was one of the only school that I got into. (just as an aside I am being offered a full ride to Arizona State honors school which may be a better option for me in getting into med school; however, I feel like I won't be very happy in Arizona. I grew up in WA my whole life and know for sure I will have lots of fun at UW. I'm checking out Arizona later this week so I'll see how that goes). I was waitlisted to UW interdisciplinary honors, sadly.

What my question is, is if UW is that bad for premed. Like I'm pretty shy and I get kind of anxious thinking about how I'm going to get professor recommendations for med school, any advice on this will be more than welcome. I am willing to have close to no social life and would be perfectly content with studying 8+ hours everyday starting from my first quarter, but this isn't necessarily what I want I guess.

Both my parents went to UW and my dad got 3.8ish and my mom 3.4ish both business majors, and I like to think of myself being smarter than my parents, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe they are smarter than I make them out to be.

Anyways for people who are at UW pre-med or went through it, any suggestions? Should I go talk to my pre-med advisers in the first weeks of school and try to go to every office hours? Should I try to get a volunteer position at UW school of medicine or at Swedish or somewhere else? I already have 20 hours of shadowing a neurologist during the summer after my Junior year (of high school) and I'm wondering when I should start shadowing doctors again. I know couple family friends that are doctors that will probably let me shadow them if I asked, but would you guys recommend that I try to find other doctors who I don't know to shadow.

I know that this post has a lot of questions, but I'm so stressed about next year at UW, especially when I hear that the classes are curved to 2.6.

Thanks.

Go to ASU

You don't have to stay there and if you do well there you can transfer to another college that may fit your needs

Also don't compare your parents to yourself. Pre-Meds take way more classes than just people with regular majors, so.... It's not really the same.

Arizona. Warmer. Hotter girls.

Ay, how's the weather up there in Burlington, old sport? :laugh:

:( Don't remind me.

I will be miserable for all of college. The girls at UVM are pretty nice though :)