-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCW212

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's binding whether it is scramble or match. You signed it. You would have to find a way to get the program to release you. Sorry dude.

Survivor DO

I signed a contract for an internship position in the scramble, but recently received an e-mail by a program which I MUCH prefer saying they got approval for opening more positions at their program and have extended a contract offer to me.

Now, I know if I had signed the contract through the match, then it would be pretty hard to get out of, but I signed in the scramble. Have any of you guys broken/terminated a contract outside of the match? How do you recommend I go about it?

Thanks for any help..

Is the spot that opened up just for internship (i.e. 1 year) as well? If so, just man up and get through it. If it's categorical, I feel like the internship you already signed with would understand.

I signed a contract for an internship position in the scramble, but recently received an e-mail by a program which I MUCH prefer saying they got approval for opening more positions at their program and have extended a contract offer to me.

Now, I know if I had signed the contract through the match, then it would be pretty hard to get out of, but I signed in the scramble. Have any of you guys broken/terminated a contract outside of the match? How do you recommend I go about it?

Thanks for any help..

If you obtained the position via SOAP, then that is considered "within the match" and breaking the contract is a violation of the agreement. From the NRMP:

"Offers extended by programs and accepted by applicants during the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) will create a binding commitment. Failure to honor that commitment or failure to adhere to SOAP policies will be a violation of the Match Participation Agreement."

If you obtained the position via SOAP, then that is considered "within the match" and breaking the contract is a violation of the agreement. From the NRMP:

"Offers extended by programs and accepted by applicants during the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) will create a binding commitment. Failure to honor that commitment or failure to adhere to SOAP policies will be a violation of the Match Participation Agreement."

Hate to muddy the waters here but I think you could be exempt from the NRMP contract...knew a classmate who SCRAMBLED (not sure if the SOAP entails different contractual subtleties) a few years back and was then offered a spot, he contact NRMP and they said he could basically do whatever he wanted.....

If you're talking about an offer you accepted through the SOAP, then you have a binding agreement to work with that program, and breaking that contract would be a Match Violation.

If you're talking about the scramble (ie post-SOAP), then the NRMP has no jurisdiction over anything you do with regards to this position. Theoretically, the program could threaten legal action for breech of contract, but I'm not sure how likely that would be.

If you're talking about an offer you accepted through the SOAP, then you have a binding agreement to work with that program, and breaking that contract would be a Match Violation.

If you're talking about the scramble (ie post-SOAP), then the NRMP has no jurisdiction over anything you do with regards to this position. Theoretically, the program could threaten legal action for breech of contract, but I'm not sure how likely that would be.

There is no such thing as a scramble anymore, and any SOAP obtained through the SOAP is legally binding. A spot obtained post SOAP is also legally binding. It is not the case that you can just get up and quit. You still need to do the 45 day dealio.

The OP's post history suggests they are a DO at AZCOM. Therefore, it's possible / likely that they scrambled into an osteopathic TRI post the NRMP match. If that's the case, then Spur's advice is correct -- the post-AOA match scramble is not part of any matching process, and the OP can do whatever they want without fear of any match violation. At a minimum they should give their program as much notice as possible. If they resign their spot and then things don't work out (funding) at this new program, they will be in trouble.

Same boat here. Doing a tri now. signed with an IM program but its away from my wife who is also a resident. If something opens up close to her, is it a violation to try to pursue that spot if I signed an aoa contract after do scramble and after acgme soap? Secondly will it be difficult to get out of that contract?