Technology 8 gb enough for smart phone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AquaFortis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to join this century and upgrade to a smartphone. I'm on Verizon, and I was looking at picking up an Iphone 4 since I already have a Macbook Pro. It will mostly be a functional tool for me in that I will mostly check email/upload contacts, use the web, make calls/text, and use medical apps/a few games. I won't be placing music on my phone, though I probably will have some pics or some small videos. I've seen that verizon has a good deal on 8 gb iphone 4, so I thought about jumping on that. Will I have enough space for apps, etc. with only 8gb? Seems like the 16gb iphones are hard to find now. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you typically watch HD movies or transport ISOs of discs with you then it shouldn't be an issue.

8GB should be more than enough if you don't plan on putting music / tons of videos on there.

On second thought, depends how "big" these medical apps are. Maybe some iPhone peeps here can look up their Settings --> General --> Usage. I'm at 991MB usage with a dozen small games, some online banking apps, and Epocrates free (60 MB), and I just got this phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using 3.6 on my 4S.

If you remove the 1 Gig, 740MB, and 477MG games I am at 1.5ish.

As Dallenoff points out, Epo is only 60 for the free. (I have the upgraded one and it is only 149).

Most apps are good about not being huge and storing data online if it doesn't need accessed. With iCloud I don't have to save anything to my phone anymore unless I need it.

That is PLENTY for what most people use smartphones for. Unless you're loading up on music and large games and other memory suckers like the other people mentioned. I just got an 8GB iPhone and love it - hope you enjoy yours! :)