-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KanyeWest222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO is probably your quickest and more efficient path. If you go back to college (any college really--doesn't have to be your alma mater) and retake the classes you did poorly in, DO schools will replace the low grade with the new grade--this could really help your GPA. Go through your transcript and see what classes you can retake.

MD doesn't replace grades, but you can take upper level science classes at a post-bacc and those classes will average in with your GPA. From my rough estimation, even if you get a 4.0 in 32 credits and more, you'll still be under 3.0. In this situation, even with a high MCAT, it is unlikely you'll get accepted to an MD. Even if you do manage to raise it to a 3.0 (which might require more than 2 years of all A's), you'd have to do an SMP (Special Masters Program).

Basically, I think DO is more realistic option for you.

If you're serious about medicine, you should start volunteering and get some clinical experience. Also consider shadowing some physicians. It is very important to have these ECs when applying.

... '08 grads unite...thankfully I didnt get laid off and had a good ugrad GPA...but my plan was to go to law school. I was going to work a year or two then go back, luckily I didn't go, however, the market has completely dried up. Time to do a career switch into something more meaningful after I realizing my motivation for finance / law was mainly money driven...

Hello,

I graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering back in '08. Worked for 1.5 years, laid off this january, job search has been absolutely brutal. I've done an analysis of job prospects within the industries I'm qualified for - realistically, with the number of jobs shed in '08 and '09 in those industries, we're looking at 5 or more years of extremely strong job growth until we get back to '07 levels. That's being optimistic. Realistically, it's closer to 10. Given how competitive it's become even for mediocre positions paying 40-50k compared to several years ago, i think it's time to retrain or pursue a different career path.

Last edited: