7 Years Undergrad?? (GPA, no MCAT score yet)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crose1023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a university for 3 years. Changed my major 4 times, started as bio/pre-med, ended as health & wellness management/pre-med. Ended my time there with a 2.75, thanks to a terrible freshman year (no effort put in, didn't care about school, only cared about partying and my friends).
About to enter my first year as an AS student in radiography. Will be ARRT certified by the end of the program. Looking to get between 3.5-4.0 for the 2-year program.
After my AS, I am thinking of going to get my BS in Biology again. I'll be older, wiser, experienced and going to put in the effort. Looking to also get between 3.5-4.0 for my BS.
Will take my MCAT in my 1st year of biology program, maybe take it again a few months after depending on how I do.
Just wanted to know if it will be worth it after my AS program and I do achieve my 3.5-4.0 goal in radiography to go get my BS in bio to apply to med school.
I know I'm looking far into the future, but I was curious if anyone had insight.

Let's view it this way:
3 years undergrad: 2.75
2-year associates in radiography: ~3.75
2-year bachelors in biology: ~3.75
How will I fare out? I don't want to even estimate an MCAT yet since it's so far away. What am I looking at GPA wise?

Members don't see this ad.

I am reminded of a quote from a great movie.

"A lot of people go to college for 7 years."

"Yeah, they're called doctors."

Anyone?

I went to a university for 3 years. Changed my major 4 times, started as bio/pre-med, ended as health & wellness management/pre-med. Ended my time there with a 2.75, thanks to a terrible freshman year (no effort put in, didn't care about school, only cared about partying and my friends).
About to enter my first year as an AS student in radiography. Will be ARRT certified by the end of the program. Looking to get between 3.5-4.0 for the 2-year program.
After my AS, I am thinking of going to get my BS in Biology again. I'll be older, wiser, experienced and going to put in the effort. Looking to also get between 3.5-4.0 for my BS.
Will take my MCAT in my 1st year of biology program, maybe take it again a few months after depending on how I do.
Just wanted to know if it will be worth it after my AS program and I do achieve my 3.5-4.0 goal in radiography to go get my BS in bio to apply to med school.
I know I'm looking far into the future, but I was curious if anyone had insight.

Let's view it this way:
How will I fare out? I don't want to even estimate an MCAT yet since it's so far away. What am I looking at GPA wise?
Assuming a similar courseload for each of those years, that brings you to a 3.32 cGPA.

If you retake some of the lowest grades from the first years of undergrad, AACOMAS DO schools only count the most recent grade if the credits are the same or greater. You could get closer to the matriculant average for DO students of 3.48 that way.

Members don't see this ad :)

Let's view it this way:

You're the first radiography -> pre-med I've seen outside of myself. Finally ;)

I think if you clean house with that Bio program you'll be good. It'll make for a dramatic upward trend.

Assuming a similar courseload for each of those years, that brings you to a 3.32 cGPA.

If you retake some of the lowest grades from the first years of undergrad, AACOMAS DO schools only count the most recent grade if the credits are the same or greater. You could get closer to the matriculant average for DO students of 3.48 that way.

My lowest grades from undergrad are a D+ in a bio class (no effort put in, it was my first college class, got a 4 on my AP test in HS, could easily have done well), failing grade in precalc (again, freshman year, skipped almost every class) and Cs in chem (not great at Chem but decent with good studying/tutoring), and then some Cs in gen ed classes.

So my bad grades are when I was a bio major my first year in college. Obviously would be retaking these in a biology BS program but wouldn't raise my GPA from my first school, right?

I would be content with DO.

You're the first radiography -> pre-med I've seen outside of myself. Finally ;)

I think if you clean house with that Bio program you'll be good. It'll make for a dramatic upward trend.

Oh great! I am excited to start my rad program, but I don't think I can be a tech for the rest of my life. The dream has always been doctor. Trying to keep that alive.

Thanks for the input. Are you currently a rad student?

Oh great! I am excited to start my rad program, but I don't think I can be a tech for the rest of my life. The dream has always been doctor. Trying to keep that alive.

Thanks for the input. Are you currently a rad student?

I came to the same realization with 4 or 5 months left in my training lol. I guess that answers your next question--I finished in 2010. My ARRT certs come up for renewal in September and I doubt I'll have my CEs ready in time, but like you said, the big picture calls for me to focus on matriculating... it'd be neat to hold on to my credentials though!

I came to the same realization with 4 or 5 months left in my training lol. I guess that answers your next question--I finished in 2010. My ARRT certs come up for renewal in September and I doubt I'll have my CEs ready in time, but like you said, the big picture calls for me to focus on matriculating... it'd be neat to hold on to my credentials though!

I'd definitely hold onto them! I will renew mine when I am done with my biology program in case I do not get into med school and cannot find another job. At least I'd be certified and hold a degree already.

I'd definitely hold onto them! I will renew mine when I am done with my biology program in case I do not get into med school and cannot find another job. At least I'd be certified and hold a degree already.

That was my plan too! Fortunately, you have plenty of time to make your application way better than mine. Had a couple of stumbling blocks (aka, C grades) my last two years. Those 2000+ hours of clinicals will be big though. :thumbup: