~65% on AAMC section bank and QPacks... where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll of course postpone my exam if my FLs go badly, but I'm planning on starting those soon and I'll see what happens with them. For now I focused on completing the AAMC Qpacks and Section Bank, and for the section bank I averaged a 64% overall, and for the QPacks, I'm around 65% in every section except bio (82%). My mistakes are a mix of stupid mistakes and not knowing the material (looking at you, physics).

How should I be structuring my studying here on out? I'm testing on 6/29 in theory, which i know is soon, unless I decide to push it back after finishing some FLs.

Members don't see this ad.

@Latteandaprayer thanks for your question! I know the scores on SDN tend to skew a lot higher, but 65% on the section bank isn't too bad at all. At the end of the day, the scores on the Qpacks and Section bank don't really matter. What is most important is that you're going back to review and learn from your mistakes. If you completely learn the concept that you missed or learn from any analysis error you have made, then you should be perfectly fine, because that means you'll be able to get that concept correct if it shows up on your actual MCAT, which is always the end goal!

Lower scores on the QPacks mean that you might have some content weaknesses, so definitely go back and work on those. The Section banks are more about passage analysis, so make sure you learn from any mistakes you have made in analyzing the passage in the section banks. The practice exams and actual MCAT are going to be a mix of content material and passage analysis, so it's crucial that you use the Qpacks and section banks to improve upon these skills.

Make sure to thoroughly review all AAMC materials! The practice exams should take you essentially an entire study day to review as you make sure you understand all the different concepts being tested. The way to review is to recognize what concept you didn't understand and then 1) read about it in your content books or a video source like Khan Academy, 2) do discrete problems over that topic to ensure that you understand the basic concepts regarding it, and 3) do passages based on that topic to ensure you can apply the concepts you learned to passage based material.

I hope that helps and if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out!