60 Minutes and International Medical Graduates.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
please post articles on Uk's healtcare...

thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

UK healthcare:

The only info that I can post is second hand. My husband was an SHO there and experienced a shortage of medications for MI's, waiting lists for necessary MRI's that exceeded 6 months, etc etc...Individuals who had an extra private insurance were excluded from these waits though, so I guess in that respect it isn't much different than private insurance vs. HMO's vs. medicaid vs. no insurance....although the shortages of necessary drugs was definately a concern.

I will add that my best birthing experience was in the UK...the most care and attention was given and a nurse midwife visited me at home for three weeks after the delivery to examine me in my home and make sure that everything was ok for me emotionally and physically. In that system all meds for children (to the age of 18) are free and for moms during pregnancy and 1 year postpartum.

Of course, teeth are considered a medical need in europe....unlike the US where you end up forking over thousands to dentists..and the best coverage it seems you can get is delta dental :rolleyes!!!!!

As to disparaging your country...sorry, forgot the username...I wasn't intending that comment towards anyone...just pontificating.... :D

Kris

wow, mom of three!

I see from your posts, that you have had children in three different countries! Thats gotta be a unique story! If i was writing the article, I would call it "Mother Earth".

As for the attention to dental care in UK.
Thats interesting...never would have guessed, judging from the average brits oral condition!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is huge waiting list for elective surgeries like Hernia repair,Cataract (They have to wait more than a year)etc for the British NHS(National Health System) patients.

Some clever British patients fly to India and get the surgery done in the top hospitals of Bombay,Delhi and Madras.They get the Value surgery for cheaper price.They know they have to wait for the same skillful hands to get operated in the English Hospitals.

Mother Earth...hehehe that is so funny. Actually, my oldest child was born in Stuttgart (he is about to turn 7)in Frauenklinik Berg, my daughter was born in Craigavon Area Hospital in Craigavon, Northern Ireland, and my youngest was born in Danville, PA....It did provide me with some really unique perspectives. (and sometimes some pretty punchy opinions :oops:)..it might make a great personal statement some day! ;) I will be a late med school applicant though because I want to have these years with my children. I don't know how that will affect my chances, but...at the end of the day if I don't get in I will at least know that I made the choice to be with my kids for these next few years...

This has been such an interesting conversation...I really enjoy debating the "issues" and hearing everyone's points of view.....thanks for putting up with my pig-headedness :D

Kris

MacGyver, the main point is that the patients have a physician that speak their LANGUAGE, not that they are from their exact group.

Cultural affiliations are of course nice to have, but obviously come second to the language considerations.

In highly Cosmpolitan areas, the resident roster tends to read like a demograph of the city in which they reside--they rather correlate--a very wise move anyway you slice it.

"We have three PTs here, none speak enough English to communicate well: one speaks Arabic, another Creole, and another Spanish." What will be done?

It is merely realism and utiliatarianism in action to bring on docs for whom this scenario is no problem--no problem at all.