6 year program for dpt or seperate undergrad/grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a high school senior (class of '09) and I'm having trouble deciding between colleges. I've been accepted into Boston University, Northeastern University, and University of Hartford for the 6 year DPT program. Initially, BU was my first choice but they did not offer me any merit-based aid and I did not qualify for much financial aid. Northeastern has given me 7k merit-based while Hartford has given me 17k merit-based.

I also applied to Baylor University as a biology major with a pre-physical therapy tract. They offered me 10k and I'm assuming the cost of living would be relatively cheaper in Texas? I would then have to apply for grad school... so I'm just wondering; is physical therapy a very competitive field to study? Is it hard to get into grad school for physical therapy?

I'm pretty much torn on whether I should go into a 6 year program, or finish my undergrad and then apply for graduate school. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess this would be based on your stats and experience if you chose to do undergrad+grad (PT school may get harder and harder to get into in the future with the advent of the centralized application system). If you know for sure you want to be a PT, then the 6 year route will work well for you and save you 2 years in tuition! You will also be able to work 2 years quicker than those of us who went the traditional route. So in the end, you will save money and make money sooner with much less debt.

(edit)....Wait, I think I may have mispoken...4+3=7 and 3+3=6. oops. I guess I need to work on my simple addition! You would be saving 1 year of tuition and would be working one year sooner is what I meant to say. That's even assuming you go straight into PT school after undergrad.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm currently a high school senior (class of '09) and I'm having trouble deciding between colleges. I've been accepted into Boston University, Northeastern University, and University of Hartford for the 6 year DPT program. Initially, BU was my first choice but they did not offer me any merit-based aid and I did not qualify for much financial aid. Northeastern has given me 7k merit-based while Hartford has given me 17k merit-based.

I also applied to Baylor University as a biology major with a pre-physical therapy tract. They offered me 10k and I'm assuming the cost of living would be relatively cheaper in Texas? I would then have to apply for grad school... so I'm just wondering; is physical therapy a very competitive field to study? Is it hard to get into grad school for physical therapy?

I'm pretty much torn on whether I should go into a 6 year program, or finish my undergrad and then apply for graduate school. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Oh for sure i would do the 6 year route if i were you..if i had that option when i went into this i would have done that!..like minn. said it will save you money and time..and those are good schools you will come out with the same degree and less debt. i also agree that pt school is getting more difficult each year to get into with the increase in demand and appeal and direction it is going so it is good you are planning ahead. Also you might risk having trouble with transferrs or requirements etc. and im not sure about this but i think with the combined program you dont have to go through the whole gre fiasco, and application process??..correct me if im wrong?..but that is worth it in its self if so!!!!!
On the other side..i did the undergrad and am going to a dpt school it worked well and i played sports in undergrad and had fun, so really it is all about the experience and what you want if you are not in a rush and willing to pay a little more to go into a grad program then either way is ok!
good luck with whatever you decide and congrats on the acceptances smart choice starting earlier!:)

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude,

You're young but already ahead of the game by your inquiry. If you're pretty sure you want to go the PT route I would definitely consider going to Hartford. Financially, you would come out significantly ahead of your peers as previously mentioned by M.Dasota. Even so, Baylor wouldn't be a bad option as well. And yes, it seems as though the healthcare field in general is getting more competitive. I think PT will follow this trend for the forseeable future.

Thanks guys for your responses, I really appreciate it! I've given it a lot of thought and since I can't really picture myself being anything other than a PT... I'm going to do the 6 year program at Hartford. And also I'm trying to save as much money as I can... I've got two younger siblings that need to go to college as well! Haha, sending in my deposit soon! Thanks again

I think you made the right decision. If I had to do it all over again, I would do a six-year program. Just because I would avoid the hassle of applying for grad schools and the requirements.

I start this fall and I am 25, so I will be 28 when I finish my DPT. I spent a few years after I graduated pursing work and a master's degree, so that was my particular path. In the end, you will be about 24 when you finish, so you will be years ahead of your colleagues. Congrats and Good luck!