6 months since jobless..i'm an incompetent pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not sure where to post this, but since i've gotten many help and mental support from SDN, I am just here to vent out the struggle that I have not been able to tell anyone. I also have lots of my classmates reading this forum, so if my identity or information i give you seems vague, i apologize in advance.

(I just wanted to start off that this thread is not about pharmacist's job market.)

I am a recent grad of 2015, took my boards, and I thought my life was going to be just fine, worry-free.

I got my first job as a pharmacist, but six month later I was fired for incompetency due to mistakes and issues with co-workers. Ever since then I attempted to find a job, but at this point I am not even trying to find a job, I am just living with my family like a parasite.

I got really good evaluations and graduated with a decent GPA. I was a good student at school or at rotation site, but when it comes to working and getting a job....i've been really bad at it. i had about two internships, and they didn't want to hire me.

One thing I don't understand about myself is that i keep making mistakes. additionally, despite of 6 years of pharmacy school, and despite the fact that I passed the board exam with good scores (>100), I am still incompetent and I can't give clinical advice. I feel so incompetent and stupid, and i am afraid to even put that pharmacy as a reference or previous work because I know what they are going to say. I think part of the reason that my job interview was bad was because they didn't give me a good referral. If I don't include my previous work, that means i haven't had a job since I got licensed; no pharmacy is going to hire me or believe me.

Browsing Facebook is the worst thing, because now my colleagues are margin 6 figures or have made their professional progression. I am the one who is standing in the same spot from a year ago. I have no idea how to get out of this endless loop of self-hatred.

If anybody had similar struggles with me please advise me. Thanks for reading this.

Like you, I am suffering from low confidence. But I am going to graduate this may. I am depressed because I have had 2 job rejections from major chains. I also suffer from anxiety/depression and have had to watch people in my class snag jobs while I continue to sit on the sidelines. I have had similar issues with focusing on the job especially as a before entering school. I did have some concentration issues while on rotations but I was able to refocus myself with exercise, diet, thinking patterns to avoid major mistakes. Just recently I got a C on one of my rotations and I was devastated-my preceptor said my clinical knowledge could use some work. I admit I have not studied for the Naplex as much as I should and I somehow lack the to retain knowledge from my P1-P3 years.
Word of advice..delete your facebook. It will only make your confidence worse. I know it feels like the world is on facebook but in your situation, a temporary leave from facebook would make you feel a lot better. Sometimes we need to separate ourselves from the rest of the pack to find our true strengths.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
my GS-14 Consumer Safety Officer in FDA's Office of International Programs office and tooled around in Japan and China on the government's dime for the rest of my career

That sounds really exciting. How do you get started on that path? I've always wanted to work for Uncle Sam but the only jobs I know of are VA jobs which seem quite hard to get...

I am not sure where to post this, but since i've gotten many help and mental support from SDN, I am just here to vent out the struggle that I have not been able to tell anyone. I also have lots of my classmates reading this forum, so if my identity or information i give you seems vague, i apologize in advance.

(I just wanted to start off that this thread is not about pharmacist's job market.)

I am a recent grad of 2015, took my boards, and I thought my life was going to be just fine, worry-free.

I got my first job as a pharmacist, but six month later I was fired for incompetency due to mistakes and issues with co-workers. Ever since then I attempted to find a job, but at this point I am not even trying to find a job, I am just living with my family like a parasite.

I got really good evaluations and graduated with a decent GPA. I was a good student at school or at rotation site, but when it comes to working and getting a job....i've been really bad at it. i had about two internships, and they didn't want to hire me.

One thing I don't understand about myself is that i keep making mistakes. additionally, despite of 6 years of pharmacy school, and despite the fact that I passed the board exam with good scores (>100), I am still incompetent and I can't give clinical advice. I feel so incompetent and stupid, and i am afraid to even put that pharmacy as a reference or previous work because I know what they are going to say. I think part of the reason that my job interview was bad was because they didn't give me a good referral. If I don't include my previous work, that means i haven't had a job since I got licensed; no pharmacy is going to hire me or believe me.

Browsing Facebook is the worst thing, because now my colleagues are margin 6 figures or have made their professional progression. I am the one who is standing in the same spot from a year ago. I have no idea how to get out of this endless loop of self-hatred.

If anybody had similar struggles with me please advise me. Thanks for reading this.

I am in a similar position to you. Fortunately i have not been fired but my scripts are being checked by the other pharmacist before being handed out. I too have trouble focusing at work and even when i double and triple check my work i somehow make a mistake. My boss has told me that he thinks i have ADD. Had i not been so open to what he was telling me and had he not seen that i was taking steps for myself to try to improve and fix the problem, he would have easily fired me. Also had he not found me to be a nice/polite person who he otherwise enjoyed working with and someone who got along with staff and customers, he would have fired me. He also said that if i was to look for work elsewhere, he would not be able to give a good reference because he is legally obliged to tell other pharmacists his concerns for my accuracy when dispensing.

I find my work environment quite stressful too but I feel that would be the case with any work place. The most important thing is your attitude at work. I work with a 70yr old pharmacist who treats me like an assistant and when she gets stressed she would tell me off like i am a child. Other staff members as well as some customers have complained about this. It is just the way she is. The most important thing you can do is get along with your staff. So she tells me off, i will let her and i will do what i can to help her. I try to ignore the fact that she thinks i am incompetent and i ask her qs and try to get along with her regardless. Kill them with kindness. You dont have to tell everyone you work with about your person life..all you have to do is be kind, nice, polite and try to go out of your way to help your staff with anything you have the power to do. They will respect/like you for that. Also bring in food to share with your co-workers and given the chance ask them about themselves, remember their stories and follow up on qs to them. The nicer you are to other people, the nicer they will be to you. I would say i am very quiet at work but when i do talk i would make the effort to always say something positive and make other people feel good about themselves. People like hanging around those who make them feel good about themselves. Of course there's not point being nice if you aren't competent with pharmacy knowledge. If you are lacking in drug knowledge, study. Download apps on your phone and read/study when you can. For me its the ride to and from work. Im always reading up on/making new notes on my phone to make sure i am always up to date with info and also to refresh my memory. If you are having trouble dispensing, look at the way you dispense, create a protocol for dispensing/checking and ASK for help from other pharmacists. Ask them what they do. Make notes for yourself and create protocols/procedures for yourself to minimise errors. If you are having trouble counselling patients, maybe you need to go back to basics, look up the counselling protocols they taught you in uni. If you ask the right questions, listen and know your drugs interactions, adr, counselling points, you shouldn't have any trouble counselling patients. Also keep in mind you are no different to any other pharmacist who got through pharmacy school. The fact that you got through pharmacy with great marks means you are smart, competent and just as capable as any other pharmacist. If you dont know something dont panic. We are all human and after all we can go to our academic resources in the pharmacy and Dr. google to double check. Its always better to double check something if you are unsure. Dont be afraid to use resources available in the pharmacy to get all the info you need to counsel well..it doesnt mean you are a bad pharmacist..we all do it. If there is something you dont know, always look it up. The more you do this, the more you will learn and the more you will retain. Im always making little notes for myself and tucking it away in my uniform. Aside from my dispensing errors which is due to lack of focus, my boss has told me that 90% of everything else i do as a pharmacist is perfect...unfortunately in our line of work, accuracy issues can have detrimental effects so i am now taking steps to address that. Until i am completely confident in my dispensing i am making sure all my work gets checked by the other pharmacist before it goes out.

I am currently seeing a GP, taking blood tests and seeing a psychologist to see what is wrong with me and screen for ADD which is what my boss suggested i may have. I highly suggest that you do the same before finding any job. The most important thing you can do for a job interview is be confident. The interviewer can sense your confidence in the interview and if you don't come across confident then you don't come across competent. So if you are not feeling confident don't look for work. Go travel, focus on building your social skills by maybe joining a travel group e.g. contiki, or sports team/volunteer work, build your social network, open up to your friends for support, do what you can so you have people to talk to. You need a support network. If you don't have one, build one. I suggest travel because maybe even being at home isn't the best for you. I purposely chose to go to a pharmacy school in a regional/rural university so i could move out of home, live with other students and force myself to learn to talk to talk to people and eventually i overcame my fear of talking.

What you need to do now is focus on yourself. Take blood tests, see a psychologist, open up to friends (esp pharmacy friends), make friends, travel, and when you feel confident then look for work. In your resume dont put down employers who you think will give you a bad reference. You only need one or 2. You can put down a university lecturer, a pharmacy friend, etc. If your resume, like mine, isnt all that great, then you need to kill it in the interview like i had. First impressions are the most important. Go into pharmacies with your resume, ask if they are hiring and if so see if you could see the boss in person and talk to them there and then. If they are not there, ask when they will be in. I got myself a job interview this way before without them even looking at my resume.
They say success is based on who you know, not what you know. Ie. hone your people skills, and learn to be really likeable because if you are, people will always want to help you. There are videos on youtube to help you out e.g. "charisma on command"...learn to be likeable = nice + competent..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I grad interned for almost 4-5 months (kept asking for extensions to study for naplex hehe) before I was comfortable enough being by myself (0 real retail experience) just so I wouldn't make a fool of myself.

I am in a similar position to you. Fortunately i have not been fired but my scripts are being checked by the other pharmacist before being handed out. I too have trouble focusing at work and even when i double and triple check my work i somehow make a mistake. My boss has told me that he thinks i have ADD. Had i not been so open to what he was telling me and had he not seen that i was taking steps for myself to try to improve and fix the problem, he would have easily fired me. Also had he not found me to be a nice/polite person who he otherwise enjoyed working with and someone who got along with staff and customers, he would have fired me. He also said that if i was to look for work elsewhere, he would not be able to give a good reference because he is legally obliged to tell other pharmacists his concerns for my accuracy when dispensing.

I find my work environment quite stressful too but I feel that would be the case with any work place. The most important thing is your attitude at work. I work with a 70yr old pharmacist who treats me like an assistant and when she gets stressed she would tell me off like i am a child. Other staff members as well as some customers have complained about this. It is just the way she is. The most important thing you can do is get along with your staff. So she tells me off, i will let her and i will do what i can to help her. I try to ignore the fact that she thinks i am incompetent and i ask her qs and try to get along with her regardless. Kill them with kindness. You dont have to tell everyone you work with about your person life..all you have to do is be kind, nice, polite and try to go out of your way to help your staff with anything you have the power to do. They will respect/like you for that. Also bring in food to share with your co-workers and given the chance ask them about themselves, remember their stories and follow up on qs to them. The nicer you are to other people, the nicer they will be to you. I would say i am very quiet at work but when i do talk i would make the effort to always say something positive and make other people feel good about themselves. People like hanging around those who make them feel good about themselves. Of course there's not point being nice if you aren't competent with pharmacy knowledge. If you are lacking in drug knowledge, study. Download apps on your phone and read/study when you can. For me its the ride to and from work. Im always reading up on/making new notes on my phone to make sure i am always up to date with info and also to refresh my memory. If you are having trouble dispensing, look at the way you dispense, create a protocol for dispensing/checking and ASK for help from other pharmacists. Ask them what they do. Make notes for yourself and create protocols/procedures for yourself to minimise errors. If you are having trouble counselling patients, maybe you need to go back to basics, look up the counselling protocols they taught you in uni. If you ask the right questions, listen and know your drugs interactions, adr, counselling points, you shouldn't have any trouble counselling patients. Also keep in mind you are no different to any other pharmacist who got through pharmacy school. The fact that you got through pharmacy with great marks means you are smart, competent and just as capable as any other pharmacist. If you dont know something dont panic. We are all human and after all we can go to our academic resources in the pharmacy and Dr. google to double check. Its always better to double check something if you are unsure. Dont be afraid to use resources available in the pharmacy to get all the info you need to counsel well..it doesnt mean you are a bad pharmacist..we all do it. If there is something you dont know, always look it up. The more you do this, the more you will learn and the more you will retain. Im always making little notes for myself and tucking it away in my uniform. Aside from my dispensing errors which is due to lack of focus, my boss has told me that 90% of everything else i do as a pharmacist is perfect...unfortunately in our line of work, accuracy issues can have detrimental effects so i am now taking steps to address that. Until i am completely confident in my dispensing i am making sure all my work gets checked by the other pharmacist before it goes out.

I am currently seeing a GP, taking blood tests and seeing a psychologist to see what is wrong with me and screen for ADD which is what my boss suggested i may have. I highly suggest that you do the same before finding any job. The most important thing you can do for a job interview is be confident. The interviewer can sense your confidence in the interview and if you don't come across confident then you don't come across competent. So if you are not feeling confident don't look for work. Go travel, focus on building your social skills by maybe joining a travel group e.g. contiki, or sports team/volunteer work, build your social network, open up to your friends for support, do what you can so you have people to talk to. You need a support network. If you don't have one, build one. I suggest travel because maybe even being at home isn't the best for you. I purposely chose to go to a pharmacy school in a regional/rural university so i could move out of home, live with other students and force myself to learn to talk to talk to people and eventually i overcame my fear of talking.

What you need to do now is focus on yourself. Take blood tests, see a psychologist, open up to friends (esp pharmacy friends), make friends, travel, and when you feel confident then look for work. In your resume dont put down employers who you think will give you a bad reference. You only need one or 2. You can put down a university lecturer, a pharmacy friend, etc. If your resume, like mine, isnt all that great, then you need to kill it in the interview like i had. First impressions are the most important. Go into pharmacies with your resume, ask if they are hiring and if so see if you could see the boss in person and talk to them there and then. If they are not there, ask when they will be in. I got myself a job interview this way before without them even looking at my resume.
They say success is based on who you know, not what you know. Ie. hone your people skills, and learn to be really likeable because if you are, people will always want to help you. There are videos on youtube to help you out e.g. "charisma on command"...learn to be likeable = nice + competent..

I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 bosses with 35 years experience and no interest inot retiring. I basically do all the input and transfers and calling and they check. One of them is so old he can't stand and the other is only good for about 100rx and we do 500. It's miserable with no break's and 11 straight hours of hell. Even the techs talk about them behind their backs so it's very toxic but there is a silver lining. A perfect opportunity to create a new store and capitalize on their ineffectiveness. They are so old they haven't kept up with the times and there computer system was designed in the 80s with no options of Med Sync, POS, or even MTM. I'm just saving every time I get to launch my own place and hit them in there weak spots.

Fortunately i have not been fired but my scripts are being checked by the other pharmacist before being handed out. I too have trouble focusing at work and even when i double and triple check my work i somehow make a mistake.

So what is the point of paying you?

The really sad part is these old farts who refuse to retire because of their poor financial decisions and/or actually deriving self-worth from work. You live 80+ if you're lucky and otherwise you don't exist basically forever. It's sad.

Pharmacy student who do well at school, getting great GPA and Aced the board may not turn out to be great pharmacists in particular sector. The skill sets being great at school is really different than being great at work.
I understand retail job may be easier to come by and ease of entry may be tempting. However, if you keep working at where you are deficient, your confidence will be destroyed, and your will be broken.
I would strongly urge you to do some job and interests analysis and find what your strength and interests are and then find the right job to match that.
I was a bad student, missed many classes and getting Bs. Have worked both clinical and retail but never great at them. Now work for hospital doing project and excel at them.
For people like you and me, we need to find our niches to shine.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think it's illegal for your former employer to give you a negative reference. By doing so you can open up a potential lawsuit against them.
Truth is a absolute defense. If she was fired for making serious mistakes then her former employer can say that. Many companies have a policy against giving negative referrals because their is a possibility of a lawsuit but don't confuse that with the law. Op should list the job but lie about why she left. Just tell future employers there was a culture mismatch.

If it is an English communication issue, you should consider joining the civil service as a regulatory officer (0660 Pharmacist) for FDA/CPSC (I'm not joking). You'll get a chance to improve on those skills in a non-threatening environment that doesn't require much focus but it does include endless writing. Just though be able to accept a $80-$100k for the first decade of your career with them. You'd probably have to move multiple times for your career, but it's a good job that unconventional and necessary. You'll also work on your DI knowledge as what crosses the desk will keep you up to date.

How does a pharmacist with retail and hospital experience apply for this position?