5th Metatarsal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SL697

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, just seeking some opinons from those of you who know more about ortho than I do.

What would you say would be the best option for treating a bone nonunion following a avulsion fracture of the fifth metatarsal? It was put in a cast for 6 wks following the fracture, and now a year later, Xray still shows nonunion.

Any conservative, non-surgical options? Thoughts on surgery? Fracture is in a 24yo male. Walking is typically pain free, however participation in sports leads to pain during and for several days after the activity.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

SL697

Members don't see this ad.

SL697 said:
Hey there, just seeking some opinons from those of you who know more about ortho than I do.

What would you say would be the best option for treating a bone nonunion following a avulsion fracture of the fifth metatarsal? It was put in a cast for 6 wks following the fracture, and now a year later, Xray still shows nonunion.

Any conservative, non-surgical options? Thoughts on surgery? Fracture is in a 24yo male. Walking is typically pain free, however participation in sports leads to pain during and for several days after the activity.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

SL697

how'd ya break it?

Tripped and fell. Stupid, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
not as stupid as the time i broke one of my metatarsals when a faulty roman candle shot out of my hand.

Consider an ultrasound bone stimulator. I've seen good results with them.