This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tankshort

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Tankshort,

I'm in a pretty similar situation to you, but i'm based in the UK having recently completed a Biochemistry degree, and hoping to apply for medicine as a graduate to medical schools both in the UK and in particular to HKU.

I too am worrying about my chances, but having messaged a current HKU student to discuss "chances", and considering the fact that if i don't apply i'd never know, i'm just going to have a go, and apply anyways. We don't really have much to lose (other than $300 application fee).

Members don't see this ad :)
well.... to the best of my knowledge, i don't actually know if there is an admissions test for the mbbs course at hku, i just assumed there wasn't one.

will you be applying for courses in the states or have you applied for the uk this year?

and on the side note, lets just hope its "butter" and not "burnt" :rolleyes:

yep, the uk medical schools are similar in respect to the hk and us medical schools in that the MBBS is considered as an undergraduate degree. In fact, degrees are not even required for entry into the majority of medical schools here, though there are a few accelerated courses which are specifically for graduates.

However, you've missed the deadline for UK schools this year, but if you do consider the uk in the future, just let me know, and i can give you all the information you need. (it's also rather cheap to apply, as you can apply up to 4 medical schools using a unified system, costing only 15 pounds stirling per application cycle)

Lets keep in touch over the hku application process!
i'm not too sure if i will apply for CU though, as i feel i have a fair shot at UK medical schools, and will probably see how that goes first.

Dear Tankshot,

I am also in a similar boat of yours, trying to apply back as a degree holder for non-jupas?

So how's your application process going on? Who did you ask for the academic referee's report?

I know there are a lot of ppl actually applying back...(that's what I've heard from the admission)....and there's another post on SDN where ermengarde shared about the stats of his/her classmates who got accepted...

I am happy to know that I am not alone.

good luck to us!

Tankshot,

Can I get your MSN so that we can discuss there rather than here?
About your chances of getting in...
I think your GPA is solid and decent. And as far as I know someone got in from Standford with Econ major a few years ago too. But I have also heard that it's getting harder and harder to get in, just because too many well-qualified applicants are applying back...I am not sure how they really select for applicants, the actual number of degree holders and the number of those who actually got in. from my medic frds in hk, they said for non-jupas applications it's like 20 to 1.

I guess we just have to cross our fingers and apply anyways.

If you do postbac program, are you aiming for med schools here?

Hi Guys,

Am in similar situation, I was born in HK but grew up in the Philippines and finished an engineering degree there. I've worked for a few years and then against my family’s will, I pursue pre-med studies also in Manila in preparation for med school there. Unfortunately, my family is not very supportive of my decision to go to medicine, then I came back to HK to work…

Now, a few years later, I still think I want to go to med school but the non-JUPAS stream is so competitive! I did very poorly during my Bachelor’s degree (was very active student leader) and am way far from GPA of A- :( hay... As for my pre-med, am a bit better because I paid for my own tuition fee :p

I have written to HKU to ask about these but not sure if they will answer truthfully. Do you guys have any advise for me?

Do you guys think I need to take MCAT or GAMSAT to get a high score so that I might be considered by HKU or CU?

Thanks!

Lazy Cat in HK

Hi Guys,

Am in similar situation, I was born in HK but grew up in the Philippines and finished an engineering degree there. I've worked for a few years and then against my family’s will, I pursue pre-med studies also in Manila in preparation for med school there. Unfortunately, my family is not very supportive of my decision to go to medicine, then I came back to HK to work…

Now, a few years later, I still think I want to go to med school but the non-JUPAS stream is so competitive! I did very poorly during my Bachelor’s degree (was very active student leader) and am way far from GPA of A- :( hay... As for my pre-med, am a bit better because I paid for my own tuition fee :p

I have written to HKU to ask about these but not sure if they will answer truthfully. Do you guys have any advise for me?

Do you guys think I need to take MCAT or GAMSAT to get a high score so that I might be considered by HKU or CU?

Thanks!

Lazy Cat in HK

first degree, work, and pre-med....how old are you now? :eek:

29 only lah, too old?

99% (well, maybe 98.5%) of the medical graduates are 23 years old.:D
if you start at 29, you'll graduate at 33. i guess it's fine......only 10 years difference

33 isn't too bad, there are medical students here in the uk starting at the age of 40+, it's definately not common, but it does happen, and if you have the drive and determination to go through with medical school, then the best of luck to you!

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a gap year before attending if you were accepted by HKU/CUHK?