This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calisbgirl8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So basically I need to raise my science GPA. I just got into a masters program (currently doing). Is there anything I can do about my undergrad gpa? I just heard that if your in a grad program that you won't be able to raise your undergrad gpa, is that true? Also, should I enroll into a post-bac or just take the classes on my own at the university I am doing my Master's at?

Your grad school grades are calculated completely independently from your undergraduate grades. These grades also tend to be of much less importance to medical school.

If you have time to take some undergraduate classes while doing your masters, that might be a nice way to slowly bring up your Undergrad GPA. However, taking a few classes at a time isn't going to put a huge dent on four years of full time work. This process can take several years depending on how bad your grades are before.

If you are applying DO, you can retake classes and have the new grade replace your old grades. If you have a few very bad grades, this is an easy way to get an immediate boost to your GPA. If you are only applying to MD schools, they average classes retaken so it is harder to raise your overall undergrad GPA.

So your best options will vary depending on how low your undergad GPA is, and what type of medical programs you want to apply to.

So, if I had say 2.4 in science how many course do I need to take in the course of to boot it up to like 3 +? Also, do DO schools also look at your overall gpa? Thanks

Both MD and DO schools will look at both your overall GPA and BCPM grades, so yes to that.

To move your science up to a 3.0 depends on how many science classes you took in undergraduate. If you were a science major it will probably take up to two years of 4.0 to get over a 3.0. If you weren't a science major and only took like 40 credits of sciences, this can be done in a year with stellar grades. This timeline will be reduced though if you are doing it for DO schools and are replacing old grades.

There are some people on this site with good grade calculators that may be able to chime in and give you better estimates than I have though.

Good luck:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.