BOTH 543 Comlex - Chances of matching FM or Peds in the North East

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OverlyRomantic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll!

I haven't taken Step 1 yet, but I am willing to take it sometime during 3rd year if necessary. I am confident that I want to do either FM or Peds. I currently go to a DO school in the south, but I would love to match somewhere in the NE to close the distance with my fiancé. I have 1 red flag - I failed a course by <0.5 points during first year (my grandfather was in the hospital and I couldn't concentrate). As a result, I had to repeat the first semester of medical school. Other than that, I do not have any other red flags. I am in the bottom half of my class. Do you think it is necessary for me to take Step 1, or can I match geographically with just a Comlex of 543?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends if you want to be in a specific location. If you exclusively want to be in say NY in a specific city, then step 1 is recommended. But if youre ok with any states in the NE, then Im sure youll be fine. I took step 1 during 3rd year near the end, and did not study throughout the year. Only did elective blocks of easy rotations and made it as my dedicated. I feel like step 1 score even if its a 210, would give u alot of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends if you want to be in a specific location. If you exclusively want to be in say NY in a specific city, then step 1 is recommended. But if youre ok with any states in the NE, then Im sure youll be fine. I took step 1 during 3rd year near the end, and did not study throughout the year. Only did elective blocks of easy rotations and made it as my dedicated. I feel like step 1 score even if its a 210, would give u alot of opportunities.

Thank you so much! Did taking Step 1 near the end of 3rd year impact audition rotations at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! Did taking Step 1 near the end of 3rd year impact audition rotations at all?
Im not doing auditions. Perhaps peds you have to do some auditions for the good programs. But yeah, I would imagine it would affect some audition programs, because VSAS opens in Jan or something and some competitive programs require a step 1 score to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
FM and Peeds are 2 of the easiest things to place into.
The NE is also a very well known region for DO's.

A 543 will def give you options up there.
No need for Step unless you were going for academic programs.

Reactions: 2 users