$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ta'tanisha

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it pay?
how many hours a day?
do you work on the weekend?
do you have to touch people with infections or aids?

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology is a hot, hot specialty these days. The advent of new technology and the shortage of radiologists today makes this a very promising field. One factor contributing to its popularity is the high salary. It is not uncommon for newly minted radiologists to be wooed with a 300K starting salary with several weeks of vacation. Most radiologist work a 9-5 job with weekend call being spread evenly among members of the group. As for patient contact, radiology is a field that is far, far away from the trenches of hands-on patient care. With the exception of interventional radiology, most radiologists have little patient contact. However, radiologists do have much contact with their referring doctors. Radiologists usually act as expert consultants to the doctors who order the images.

Rads is definitely a worthy field to think about, especially since it is projected to be a hot field for quite some more time. If you have the chance, it might be a good time to jump into the field although competition is becoming extremely stiff these days among medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL! I think he's joking...

...please tell me you're joking??? :eek:

It is very unfortunate that people often choose Rads for its lucrative life style that the field is boasting theese days.

Yes, generally there is a dearth of radiologists. But specifically there is a severe shortage of academic radioloigists, - those who will teach YOU during your med school rotation and your residency training and those who advance the field of radiology through research.

Unfortunately, the gap between the academic and private practice life styles (read, compensation) has never been larger.

If the dwindling pool of academic radiologists is not replenished today this can negatively affect [your] radiology training and the quality of future radiologists.

Just a note...

PS Take a look at the 1995-1996 period when radiology job market was really bad: the pool of applicants to radiology residencies plummeted!

It is very unfortunate that people often choose Rads for its lucrative life style that the field is boasting theese days.

Yes, generally there is a dearth of radiologists. But specifically there is a severe shortage of academic radioloigists, - those who will teach YOU during your med school rotation and your residency training and those who advance the field of radiology through research.

Unfortunately, the gap between the academic and private practice life styles (read, compensation) has never been larger.

If the dwindling pool of academic radiologists is not replenished today this can negatively affect [your] radiology training and the quality of future radiologists.

Just a note...

PS Take a look at the 1995-1996 period when radiology job market was really bad: the pool of applicants to radiology residencies plummeted!

I don't disagree that there has been a mass migration of academic radiologists to the private sector. The gulf in compensation between the private and educational sector is a big persuasive force that is causing this flight from the academic realm. However, the private sector is hurting for radiologists too. Just a few years ago, as you mentioned, radiology was a field in slump -- to be even considered for a job, most residents had to go on to fellowships. These days many are skipping fellowships and heading right into the market.

While I share your concern about the shortage of academic radiologists, I believe that with the stabilization and correction of this current boom in the field, there will be a natural shift of radiologists back to the academic side as salaries in the private sector drop to a more reasonable and sustainable level. Regardless, the fear of having poor teachers shouldn't deter students who are genuinely interested in the field. As the popular quote says, "Where there's a will, there's a way." :)

Couldn't agree more.

I wish the majority of applicants were those who were genuinely interested in the field.

What % of applicants would you all guess are GENUINELY interested in radiology? Personally, in the current state, I would guess < or equal to 20%....

My residency took 11-12 per year. The ER radiology rotation was one of the toughest. During that month, a first year resigned after she realized that the hours were 7am to 7pm and not very family friendly as she had hoped (she had a 6 month old infant).

Originally posted by mandownunder
The ER radiology rotation was one of the toughest. During that month, a first year resigned after she realized that the hours were 7am to 7pm and not very family friendly as she had hoped (she had a 6 month old infant).

Can I have her spot!? I have no children ;)...