518 MCAT, Fine GPA, 30+ schools, 1 interview. Reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jambro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

You already know where this is going. I've been out of school for 2 years now, with 2 planned gap years and hoping to matriculate in 2019. I applied in 2018 to 36 schools, but only got one interview to Keck where I was waitlisted. I'm now thinking about my reapplication and whether or not I should apply this year or wait another year and reapply next year.

My stats were as follows:

Top UC

BCPM GPA: 3.5 (very lopsided, 1st year ~3.6 then ~2.9, then >3.8 last 2 years)

Total GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 516

*EDIT Now 518

School list:

Albany Medical College

Chicago Medical School Rosalind Franklin

Drexel University

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine

George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Harvard Medical School

Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

Mayo Medical School - Arizona Campus

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

New York Medical College

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont

Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center

Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

Tufts University School of Medicine

Tulane University School of Medicine

University of California, Davis, School of Medicine

University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine

University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine

University of California, Riverside School of Medicine

University of California, San Diego School of Medicine

University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine

University of Colorado School of Medicine

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

University of Utah School of Medicine

University of Washington School of Medicine

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Western Michigan University Homer Stryker

I thought that if I applied broadly enough and to enough schools I would get in somewhere. I knew my overall GPA was low but hoped the huge upward trend would make up for it. I didn't apply DO. I was complete at most places by mid august and by all of them by late august. Was I too late?

I've done research, 150 hours of clinical volunteering, thousands of hours of paid work as a medical scribe/assistant, volunteered in a play to raise money for the community for about 2 years now (maybe 5-6 shows so far)

Since applying last year, the main new things Ive done have been volunteering on a political campaign for the 2018 elections, starting a tutoring business full time, done more shadowing, and also volunteering in the community as a tutor. I've continued to do the play and work part time clinically too.

Unfortunately though, I have to retake the MCAT because I took it 3 years ago so I'm currently studying for that. Now I have to decide if I should reapply again this year or wait another year. I'm ok putting the work in this year even if it doesn't work out on the off chance that changing some things gets me in somewhere, but I don't feel like my application is hugely different than last year. Then again, I'm not really sure what I could do to make my application hugely different with even another year. Also, maybe I'm too cocky but I think if I applied DO I would get in? So maybe I should just forget the dreams of MD and take DO if its offered this year?

Was my school list ok? Do apply to the same ones or different? Any insight would be incredibly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man you got a great application already. Reapply and add any DO schools you like. Maybe spice up your PS/EC descriptions, etc.

If you're dead set on an MD and you don't get in, apply to an SMP that has a linkage agreement with its med school and keep it in your pocket in case the cycle doesn't go your way.

Reactions: 1 users
When you reapply I suggest these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT (new school)
Kaiser
California University
California Northstate
Loma Linda
USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for ALL DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you did not get in.

I had similar numbers when I applied. Your GPA is going to kill you at places like Harvard and Mayo or UCs. Apply to places like GW, Drexel, Georgetown that go for more midway numbers for one. Your mom may want you to go to Harvard but you're not there. Its not that you're not great but even when I interviewed at UVM there were people who founded overseas businesses and had patents. Once you get toward the top of the medschool game you need big numbers and big CVs.

When you reapply be sure to add 'something' new to your app, so that you have some meat for the reapplicant 'why did i not get in' essays.

It may be time to start looking at DO as well. Do that when you're sure you simply want to be a doctor. The best part of DO, especially for borderline applicants, is your numbers aren't only relatively bigger but you don't have that re-applicant stigma.

Be sure to rewrite your essays etc. too

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Your app looks really good and your school list looks okay, aside from the few OOS state schools I would remove (UW and utah). I also recommend adding Miami Miller and the U of A schools to your list as they show a lot of love to CA applicants.

In terms of addressing app deficiencies, I would ask the schools who rejected you for feedback. Just looking at your list, I know Loyola offers phone appointments if you email them and ask to set one up. I'm not sure about the other schools but it's easy to call them and ask if they offer feedback.

On a brighter note, I've heard USC has a lot of waitlist movement and a high post II rate as a result of that? I have a friend who got in off their waitlist in May after 10 IIs and 0 As. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, thanks for sharing so much detail for us to work with!! Honestly your numbers are stellar and I'm sure your renewed MCAT will be just as great.

I am really curious to know what your essays look like and how involved your clinical and research experience is. I'm happy to review your essays and CV to give you better feedback. Essays have to be extremely authentic and demonstrate your resilience and dedication to the field. Taking gap years is great because then you can get a head start on some true clinical experience. Admissions committees love that.

For example, I did two gap years and worked as an ER tech and then clinical research coordinator at UT Southwestern in Dallas. SUCH great experience so if I could send you off with a golden nugget of advice, it would be to get real experience in the field (for anyone who needs to hear this - answering a hospital call light for 2 hours once a month is not experience. Great way to get your foot in the door and network but NOT experience) and make sure you're writing some really fabulous essays!

Excited for you!
-Lauren

Thank you so much for your feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Other than the schools you guys recommended I delete and add, does it make sense to reapply to a good amount of the schools or should I apply to completely new ones? I'm ok with the cost just don't want it to be a complete waste of time...

Also, I pm'd you femventure and jordij94!

Reapply to mid-range schools you applied to, sure. You have a 0% chance of getting an interview if you don't. I received an interview at one school two years in a row.

Just make sure something is different this time.

So I just got my new MCAT back (old one expired) and I got a 518. I know it's a good score, but I was a little disappointed since I thought I'd get a 520+ from practice tests... doesn't change much in my situation right? I am going to apply to all the schools that Faha recommended. I was also thinking of adding the following:

Case
Dartmouth
Rochester
Emory
Duke
Boston U
Miami
Einstein

to shoot my shot since I got the interview at USC and not the "lower" schools on my list last year.

Does anyone have any other recs for schools that like higher MCATs and/or good choices for California applicants? Any comments greatly appreciated @Faha, @Goro, @gyngyn, @LizzyM

Don't be a perfectionist. 518 = 520+
I recommend:
Columbia
Vandy
BU
Mt Sinai
Mayo
Case
U VM
U Toledo
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
TCU/UNT
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Kaiser IF you're from CA
Your state school(s).
EDIT: add a few DO schools for insurance.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @Goro! I know its a great score, just jaded and nervous from last cycle. I was already planning on applying to many of those schools so Im glad it looks like I'm on the right track :)

Really focus on your essays. Have someone in the know proof them and make sure they are meaningful. Then when you get interviews, practice practice practice. Even if you have to pay someone to listen!!! Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I was happy to have someone from a school I was rejected from talk with me about my app and she said that she "loved my writing", so i'm not sure if that's what it was, but I'm definitely going to focus a lot on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at least you can be confident in your writing.

Granted they are trying to avoid getting sued so they will sugarcoat that stuff. I've called them too, disappointed and despondent, and never really got anywhere with contacting admissions offices.

Try DO. Try a better school list. In my opinion you need to "get over" the fact that you have an amazing MCAT score try and reduce your fantasy of going to a big name school to something more reasonable. You should worry about just becoming a doctor, or you'll spend a lot of your 20's in uncertainty and reapplying. That is just my opinion on the matter as someone who has been through this.

Unless you have your heart dead set on some MD tier specialty and would rather do something else than be a different kind of doctor...

I think I'm applying to plenty of schools that I would not consider "big name", like much of Faha's list, but I will also be adding DO this time around.

Yeah I wasn't saying not to "try" MD. Just to get stuff like Temple, GW, Drexel, etc. on there front and center.

Don't be a perfectionist. 518 = 520+
I recommend:
Columbia
Vandy
BU
Mt Sinai
Mayo
Case
U VM
U Toledo
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
TCU/UNT
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Kaiser IF you're from CA
Your state school(s).
OP also needs DO schools on the list, no? Unless he would, deep down in his heart, rather not be a doctor at all than not have a shot at something like neurosurgery or rad onc.

Oh boy, SDN drama on my own thread... I'm honored. I will say I am surprised Goro didn't recommend DO schools though... maybe he forgot, probably necessary considering I didnt get in last year. Although I am hopeful my school list for MD is at least a little better...

• Haha
Well, @Goro has hit me with the Ignore button...but I do wonder what his rationale behind not including DO schools was. Maybe you're strong enough to not need 'em...

I just checked your profile and I doubt it, especially considering you had more interviews than I at more prestigious schools. Then again, I might not be *quite* as neurotic, so maybe he's taking that into account??

Just kiddin' around ;)

I would advise adding DO to your list; you don’t want to end up in the same situation (albeit unlikely)without an option after this next cycle.

2 cycles ago I also was unsuccessful at gaining admission despite pretty stellar numbers (520/3.95) and seemingly strong ECs. Garnered 7 interviews/6 waitlists and still busted. The interviews were at higher end schools (Baylor, Vandy, Case, UVA, etc) with essentially completely being passed on for interviews by lower ranked programs.

This cycle I gained admission to my state DO program in November and I was extremely relieved knowing that at least this would be an option. I had no other acceptances until mid-February so the DO admit was truly meaningful to me. Ultimately I got admissions to 6 schools this cycle (5MD and the DO). Got a masters during the gap/reapplication cycle....don’t really believe that this made me more desirable, just feel it was my destiny to fail before success was achieved.

I honestly believe he is taking the neuroticism into account, as well as any interpersonal skills deficits he believes I may have.

Figured it would be nice to update the thread. I ended up getting in during the 2019-2020 cycle! Probably wouldve been safer to wait a year before reapplying but obviously happy I didn't. I got 7 interviews (1 DO) and a few acceptances. Definitely a crap shoot of a process.

Reactions: 4 users
Figured it would be nice to update the thread. I ended up getting in during the 2019-2020 cycle! Probably wouldve been safer to wait a year before reapplying but obviously happy I didn't. I got 7 interviews (1 DO) and a few acceptances. Definitely a crap shoot of a process.
How much did you re-write your application?

How much did you re-write your application?

I went through and rewrote anything that I thought could make better but it wasn't hugely rewritten at all. I liked my PS but i did add like a paragraph or two more about the activities i focused on over that year to tie it together more. I did feel though that just by being a year older and looking at it again there was some natural desire to switch things up a bit.

I have realized there is a trend on these sites. People see someone with an amazing application who didnt get into any MD schools and they tell them that they need to apply to the lowest-tier MD schools and DO. No. you scored nearly in the 98th% percentile. you can do MD. I would say you need more clinical experience that is recent, rather than from 2019.

I have realized there is a trend on these sites. People see someone with an amazing application who didnt get into any MD schools and they tell them that they need to apply to the lowest-tier MD schools and DO. No. you scored nearly in the 98th% percentile. you can do MD. I would say you need more clinical experience that is recent, rather than from 2019.

Did you see my update? Finishing M2 now at an MD school!