MD 514 MCAT, 3.75 cGPA, Illinois Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thellama1208

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Race: White
Resident: Illinois
Undergraduate: Loyola University Chicago
Major: Molecular Biology
Minor: Anthropology
Graduation Year: 2016
MCAT: 514 (Chem and Phys: 127, Bio: 130 CARS: 130 Psych: 127)
GPA:3.75 (I hit a rough patch with the first semester of organic chemistry and got a C. I received an A in every biology course I have ever taken though.)
ECs
  1. Medical/Dental service trip to rural Panama- 7 days but months of planning
  2. Refugee Family Mentorship/Tutoring- 2 years of undergraduate, I tutored one girl from the CAR twice weekly for a school year and mentored a family from Burma for another year
  3. Refugee Community Health Educator- Prepared monthly health workshops for a year
Work
  1. Desk Receptionist at a dorm- 10 hours a week for two years
  2. Furniture Crew- worked 30 hours a week on campus for the summer between junior and senior year
  3. Weekend desk receptionist off campus- 10 hours a week for one year
Research- I've never been interested in it much, as I've always planned on being actively involved in community health outreach. But I did spend part of the summer of 2016 working with a professor at the Field Museum in Chicago to catalog a collection of Native American remains before repatriation. So I know quite a bit about the skeleton and can tell you the age and sex of an individual based on their cranium and teeth. Our work wasn't published however. Probably spent around 50 hours doing this.

Since Graduation
  1. Math Tutor Fellow- During the 2016-17 school year I worked 40 hours a week for an education non-profit tutoring high school freshman in algebra 1. I taught at a school on Chicago's south side and saw my ten students daily. I was somewhere between a tutor and a teacher, as I tutored during the school day. I was pretty much their second math teacher.
  2. EMT Certification- I took the EMT course at UIC in spring 2017, and I now have my Illinois state license.
  3. EMT Employment- I work three 13-14 shifts each week for a private ambulance provider. I transport patients between healthcare facilities. I plan on working this job for a year before medical school.
LOR
  1. Three professors (2 bio, one anthro) would have at the very least flattering things to say about me. I had a really great relationship with all three, and I thoroughly enjoyed their classes. One told me he wrote a glowing recommendation.
  2. Letter from a physician at Rush I shadowed. He let me read it, and it was very flattering. Said he hoped I went to Rush but any school would be lucky to have me.
  3. Committee letter- Met with my personal advisor twice and she took detailed notes in order to write an accurate letter.
Shadowing-
  1. Shadowed internal medicine physicians at Rush and Northwestern in Chicago for about 20 hours total
I sent out the primary on June 2nd and was processed a week or so later. Got my first secondaries on July 1st. I have completed eight of them so far ( I know I need to pick up the pace). What are my chances? Fair list?

UIC (secondary complete)
Rosalind Franklin (secondary complete)
Rush (secondary complete)
Loyola (secondary complete)
Oakland-
Beaumont (secondary complete)
Hofstra (secondary complete)
U of C (secondary complete, Total reach but I worked at their charter school so why not I guess)
SLU (secondary complete)
Northwestern (Reach!)
University of Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
Southern Illinois University
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Katz
Temple
Michigan State University
George Washington
Minnesota
Kansas (May not do secondary since they really seem to prefer in state)

I honestly would love to stay in Chicago, and I have my eye on Rush or UIC. I know I am somewhat in range for them, but it feels like a total shot in the dark. Does my shot at Southern Illinois seem pretty good?

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews from your list. Toledo, Kansas have a strong instate preference and half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan.

Reactions: 1 users
Rush has insane service requirements. I can't tell if you meet their stated goals but you probably do. As to SIU, they used to really prefer students who live south of the I80 corridor. I read on here that this has changed but I don't know if it has or not. Maybe call and ask. I would think they would still be focused on rural medicine but who knows. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UIC (secondary complete)
Rosalind Franklin (secondary complete)
Rush (secondary complete)
Loyola (secondary complete)
Oakland-
Beaumont (secondary complete)
Hofstra (secondary complete)
U of C (secondary complete, Total reach but I worked at their charter school so why not I guess)
SLU (secondary complete)
Northwestern (Reach!)
University of Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
Southern Illinois University
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Katz
Temple
Michigan State University
George Washington
Minnesota
Kansas (May not do secondary since they really seem to prefer in state)
You should receive several interviews from your list. Toledo, Kansas have a strong instate preference and half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan.
Remove Toledo, Minnesota, Kansas, Toledo, Michigan State.

Consider places like Drexel, Albany, Wisconsin, Tufts as targets and still kind of in your Chicago/Northeast geographic preference.

A few mid-reaches wouldn't hurt (maybe not as high as Pritzker though, think Emory, Pitt, etc) as your stats are probably a bit better than you're giving yourself credit for.

Also I'd change the prof pic if I were you. Gotta protect that online identity from weirdos and mean adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user
Of your list, delete the following (the first two do not need your donations...take your mom out to dinner):
U Chicago
Northwestern
Southern Illinois University (unless you are from southern IL)
MSU
Minnesota
Kansas

ADD:
Western MI
Albany
Einstein
BU
Dartmouth
Emory
Keck
U Miami