506 MCAT 3.63 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vihanna75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking the MCAT again, but I am not sure if I should. My professors and advisers are giving me mixed answers. I want to only apply to MD schools. I could apply to DO, but I heard you need a recommendation letter from a DO to apply. I have not shadowed a DO or worked with one before.
  • I have researched for 3 semesters so far for independent research
  • I am a first generation student.
  • I speak 3 languages including English
  • I have been a peer tutor at college for the past three years and also have a work study.
  • I am currently shadowing doctors at a hospital this semester 72 hours
  • I have shadowed pediatricians (48 hours)
  • I am president of the Asian Student Union on campus.
  • I interned in the finance department of a manufacturing company on summer/winter breaks (2 yrs)
  • cGPA: 3.69
  • Major: Biology
  • Major GPA: 3.6
Breakdown:
Chem/Phys: 125 (55%)
CARS: 124 (44%)
Bio/BioChem:128 (87%)
Psych/Soc: 129 (93%)
Total: 506 (71%)

Should I take the MCAT again? I do not want to go to a Caribbean school. What med schools should I apply to? I am thinking of low tiered medical schools and those within my state (PA). What do you think are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not need to take the MCAT again but apply broadly to MD schools as well as a few DO schools. For MD apply to
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Roseman, Seton Hall )
Also apply to DO schools such as LECOM and PCOM as well as several others.

I've been told my score correlates with a 28-29 on the old scale. The averages of most of the schools recommended are higher than that. How can I stand out from the rest?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told my score correlates with a 28-29 on the old scale. The averages of most of the schools recommended are higher than that. How can I stand out from the rest?
Your Vietnamese heritage may help with some schools. It is important to apply to a large number of MD schools to increase your chances for an interview. You should be competitive for DO schools as long as you apply to at least 8.

Your Vietnamese heritage may help with some schools. It is important to apply to a large number of MD schools to increase your chances for an interview. You should be competitive for DO schools as long as you apply to at least 8.
OP should check U of MN and UT to see it it's still considered UiM. I don't know if it's enough to overcome IS preference, though.