503: Retake Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlander11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What’s up everyone. I feel defeated right now. Recently got my score back (503-126/125/126/126) and don’t know what to do. I have already submitted AMCAS and have already paid for 15 schools for it to be sent to. They are all relatively lower tier anyways, but I was expecting a much higher score.

I don’t know where to go from here. I feel like most schools won’t even consider a 503. I’ve already paid so I am gonna ride it out, but should I try and test again in late July or something? Would that be too late? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What’s up everyone. I feel defeated right now. Recently got my score back (503-126/125/126/126) and don’t know what to do. I have already submitted AMCAS and have already paid for 15 schools for it to be sent to. They are all relatively lower tier anyways, but I was expecting a much higher score.

I don’t know where to go from here. I feel like most schools won’t even consider a 503. I’ve already paid so I am gonna ride it out, but should I try and test again in late July or something? Would that be too late? Any advice is appreciated.
I might also ask, should I even chance a retake? Is it really worth it? Obviously a 503 isn't good but is still 55% percentile.

Note: Applying to lower tier MD schools. cGPA 3.76 sGPA 3.65. Pretty good ECs.

Whatever you decide, do not take the MCAT again in a hurry.
A series of low scores is far more damaging than a single one!

For those of you reading this who have not yet applied, don't apply to more than one school before you know your score.
If you want to be verified while waiting for your MCAT, apply to a single throwaway school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I might also ask, should I even chance a retake? Is it really worth it? Obviously a 503 isn't good but is still 55% percentile.

Note: Applying to lower tier MD schools. cGPA 3.76 sGPA 3.65. Pretty good ECs.
There are very few states where a 503 MCAT will result in an MD admission.
You can look up the stats for successful applicants from your state here: https://www.aamc.org/media/6076/download

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)