50/50 cream and ointment mix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clachan3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a prescription for Triamcinolone 0.5% cream 50/50 mix with Aquaphor today. I can't remember ever mixing a cream into an ointment in the past 5 years, but I don't get to compound anything too fancy. I know I should just mix whatever the doctor tells me to :shrug: I guess the two should mix, but have you mixed a cream and an ointment together lately?

Members don't see this ad.

Triamcinolone cream in Aquaphilic, in varying strengths, is a popular compound around here. At my retail job, we would make a stock jar, a pound at a time, just so we wouldn't have to mix it up every time.

I've mixed creams and ointments many times and never had a problem. Even if they don't mix completely, they are miscible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I made some butt cream with three creams + one ointment and it was ok.

Was one of them diltiazem cream? Was like "WHY?" the first time I saw an order as a resident, then thought about it, saw the logic.

Diltiazem CREAM? Did I read that right? What is THAT used for, and how is it compounded? Do you use tablets, powdered diltiazem, or the IV formulation?

ETA: I just Googled it; it's used for hemorrhoids and anal fissues. I have seen Nitrostat ointment, diluted 10:1 with petroleum jelly, used for the same thing.

I got a prescription for Triamcinolone 0.5% cream 50/50 mix with Aquaphor today. I can't remember ever mixing a cream into an ointment in the past 5 years, but I don't get to compound anything too fancy. I know I should just mix whatever the doctor tells me to :shrug: I guess the two should mix, but have you mixed a cream and an ointment together lately?
Aquaphor is hydrophilic.

Today I made some butt cream with three creams + one ointment and it was ok.
What's your recipe? We use zinc oxide cream, polysporin, nystatin ointment, and lidocaine jelly.