5-year B.S./DPT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPWinsor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My daughter (in high school) heard that some colleges offer a 5 year combined B.S. and D.P.T. programs. Can anyone give me names of some? I am having trouble locating them thru the normal college search tools.
Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Univ of KY offers a program where Juniors in the health science major can apply to PT school and if they get in will receive their BS following their first year in the program. I've not heard of a 5 year program for both a BS and DPT though.

There are some 6 year programs, it's called a 3+3...they get the bachelor's in 3 years, and then do the standard DPT program. I know St. Louis University does it, and I believe Marquette does too (or has a similar thing).

If you google 3+3, or go to the APTA or PTCAS website to look for accredited programs, they should list them.

Members don't see this ad :)
many undergrad schools that fall under the public/state sector offer 3+3 programs into nearby public/state grad institutions. And if they dont offer 3+3 they generally give greater consideration to those students in the standard 4+3 scenario.

Maryville University in St. Louis prefers to admit students straight in as undergrads into their DPT program. I'm not sure how long it takes, but I know I worked with a girl who had all but crossed them off the list because she was currently in undergrad in the athletic training program with me at SEMO.

Missouri Unitversity (MIZZOU) offers a 3+3 program. I actually started taking college level courses while in high school and got my degree in three years then applied to and got into a DPT program at Mizzou. That's an option too. Maryville is a straight freshman entry program. They want your money for undergrad and grad school.

University of Miami also offers the 3+3 program. The demands associated with maintaining your status, however is a whole other conversation. :eek:

HI..i currently obtained my A.S. degree from a community college and i plan on pursuing a career as a Physical Therapist. I've came upon Seton Hall's BS/DPT program, but i was wondering, was i suppose to start there right after high school or can i still enroll and be accepted into their BS/DPT program. Is there any other schools in New Jersey that offer BS/DPT programs or what would be my best approach towards obtaining my degree?

a 5 year BS/DPT program would be asking for too much. A 3+3 is what is available. As previous posters have said, they are easily searched.

I believe the 5 year programs were available when the master degree was required, kinda a 3+2 program. I remember seeing those when I was looking at programs a couple years back (before the DPT programs started) I doubt they still exist for new-entering students.

I doubt these are still around since finding masters programs is ATM unusual, 3+3 is still sooner than 4+3. ;)

Last edited: