4th yr, applied to IM, now want to do Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdefg1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 4th year... Applied to IM programs only (had goals of doing IC). Just took a 4 wks Rads course, and loved it! Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision.
About to turn in my rank list for medicine, but what if radiology is more for me? I'm pretty mediocre for Rads I think. (Top 30 med school, Step I = 227, Step II = 230, HP and P's (no H) third year clerkships, some clinical research w/ one publication in a reputable journal) Should I:

1. Just match in medicine (I have a good shot at some pretty good categorical programs). Try to switch out to a vacant Rads spot somewhere after internship.
2. Just match in medicine. Apply to Rads during internship and complete PGY-2 yr in medicine (I hear there are funding issues here -- b/c Rads programs only have funding up to PGY-5 yr)
3. Apply to a prelim program and then Rads next year. Maybe do research in the year I'm waiting to hear back. (I talked to the res coordinator at one of the categorical medicine spots I interviewed at, and they'll let me apply to prelim there).
4. Scramble into a prelim program.

I really love Cards, but thinking lifestyle is not the best for me. PLEASE help me! About to turn in my rank list on Wednesday and don't know if it's dumb to risk a great IM spot for this last minute interest in Rads.

Also would love to be in CA or the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad.

abcdefg1234 said:
Currently a 4th year... Applied to IM programs only (had goals of doing IC). Just took a 4 wks Rads course, and loved it! Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision.
About to turn in my rank list for medicine, but what if radiology is more for me? I'm pretty mediocre for Rads I think. (Top 30 med school, Step I = 227, Step II = 230, HP and P's (no H) third year clerkships, some clinical research w/ one publication in a reputable journal) Should I:

1. Just match in medicine (I have a good shot at some pretty good categorical programs). Try to switch out to a vacant Rads spot somewhere after internship.
2. Just match in medicine. Apply to Rads during internship and complete PGY-2 yr in medicine (I hear there are funding issues here -- b/c Rads programs only have funding up to PGY-5 yr)
3. Apply to a prelim program and then Rads next year. Maybe do research in the year I'm waiting to hear back. (I talked to the res coordinator at one of the categorical medicine spots I interviewed at, and they'll let me apply to prelim there).
4. Scramble into a prelim program.

I really love Cards, but thinking lifestyle is not the best for me. PLEASE help me! About to turn in my rank list on Wednesday and don't know if it's dumb to risk a great IM spot for this last minute interest in Rads.

Also would love to be in CA or the Northeast.

Well, sh**, that's a tough situation. The first two options sound most reasonable, because I met a ton of people on the trail this year who had switched from other specialties to rads. But, I can't quite remember anybody who did from medicine, so the whole funding thing may be a problem. On that note, I'd suggest you talk to the rads program director at your institution. I have no idea how hard it is to find a spot in a radiology program outside the Match, which is what you're driving at in #1. The Match itself is pretty tough, not that I need to point that out.

Doing research on the off year would probably suck (imho), but may increase your chances of getting a decent rads spot. That's fairly debatable, but it's true your numbers aren't super-stellar and you may do well to round-out your application with research.

Scrambling into a prelim this year is probably the worst option because it'll most likely be a miserable experience. I guess it depends on how much pain you can handle and how much risk you like to take. You'd probably have a better experience in a categorical program that you actually like based on your interviews.

And, um, CA & Northeast are hard nuts to crack unless you're from those regions. Not impossible, just harder.

I'm not exactly sure how much you've seriously considered this career change, but it may be good for you to see medicine for a year and know for certain you want to be a radiologist. A swift decision with a deadline approaching just doesn't sound like a prudent decision-making circumstance. Nevertheless, radiology is a gem among specialties and would love to have another enthusiastic soul! Best of luck!