4th Year Rotations Relevant to IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omarsaleh66

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some feeedback on some courses that could benefit students that are applying for radiology and thinking about possibly pursuing an interventional fellowship.

So far I'm thinking of doing the following in my 4th year:
1 month in vascular surgery (my program does alot of stuff w interventional radiology)

1 month of neurosurgery ( I have heard that students get exposed to alot of endovascular stuff on this rotation)

1 radiology month
1 advanced radiology month

Also, I believe fw stated that it is smart to do a prelim year in general surgery if one wants to pursue interventional radiology. Many of you guys have been really helpful. If there are any additional courses that you think could help us soon to be 4th years take or other tips that would help us in the application process, Im sure alot of us could benefit.

later
Omar

Members don't see this ad.

An oncology or even Rad-onc could be good. Interventional Cards if they do peripheral arterial stuff at your shop, and if your school has a surgical anatomy elective that'd be good too.

okay, so what about regular diagnostic radiology? any good electives worth doing for 4th year? I've already got an ER rotation scheduled. i'm guessing onc would be worthwhile? anything else? and similarly, rotations that would be good for prep for a medicine prelim? i've got one floor med, one MICU subi rotations on board. any other recommendations? thanks!

Why not do a 4th-year preceptorship just in IR? I did, and it was definitely worth it. (Unless that's what you mean by an advanced radiology month.)