4th Year Externship...Waiting to hear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuDTNStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently in the process of applying and interviewing for potential 4th year externships (or traineeships as they are called with in the VA setting).

I've applied at:
4 VA sites: Portland OR, SanDiego CA, Nashville TN, and Augusta GA
3 Hospital sites: Duke Medical, Arizona State University medical, Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston

I was wondering how many others out there have been applying to VA sites and of those that have when do you expect to hear back from them (or have you already?)?

Also does anyone know of any VA sites in there areas that typically have 4th year placements? (I have my fingers crossed for a VA 4th year position.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't sound like you are choosy in your geographic location.

Dayton VA in Ohio might be looking for someone. Not sure if they've filled their slots for next year or not for 4th years.

Same with the Cleveland VA in Ohio.

I don't have contact info for either place or else I'd be happy to pass it on.

I just know students in the past have done 4th years at both VA's and loved it

I know the Seattle/American Lake VA in WA state is filled. I applied and didn't get it. As far as I know, the VA takes the longest to make the decisions...sometimes into late March.

I secured my externship this month and it is very relieving to know where I am going. Good luck! I hope you hear back soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
VAs typically know in mid-jan if they have federal funding for externs. Some VAs begin application process and interviewing processes after they hear about funding. Others start the process regardless whether they know they have funding or not--then offer or not accept externship placements.

Most VAs take externs--the only question is funding. Dallas, Boston, West LA, Washington DC, Mountain Home TN, Cincinnati, and the ones already listed--those are all I know of so far. Good luck!!

Hey, we've applied to some of the same places. This waiting game is the worst.

Good luck!

Hi! I know the VA in Johnson City, TN, accepts 4th year students. I applied there last year, but if I remember correctly, their deadline for applications was Dec. 31. It may have changed, though, so it's worth checking out.

Good luck in your search!

I got a traineeship!

So I heard back from my top choice about a week ago and I'll be headed to the San Diego VA sometime this summer!

If anyone still needs an externship and is interested in VAs contact me and look for a post, I have contact information for VAs and other sites still looking for 4th years. (All of which have a stipend of some sort I believe.)

Congrats!

We had a current second year student transfer from UAMS to TN. Do you know if she's planning to attend Audiology NOW? Tell her she is dearly missed. :D

Congrats!

We had a current second year student transfer from UAMS to TN. Do you know if she's planning to attend Audiology NOW? Tell her she is dearly missed. :D

I know who you're talking about and she's great. I'll relay the message. I'm not sure if she's planning to go to to chicago, but I'll ask the next time I see her.