495 on TPR 1st Practice Test and 70 Days To Go. Target Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Hopeamine

Hey guys!

Just as the description says, I just finished my first practice MCAT through TPR (I am taking the 123-hour class) and I shot a 495. I have 70 more days to go till test day. What should I be aiming for on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

The princeton exams are tough, but well worth the time in taking. I think the biggest benefit I got from those exams is how to deal with a timed situation where you feel like the test is kicking your butt. I averaged around 507 towards the end (definitely didn't start that way) and wound up with a 515+ on the real thing. Just keep practicing, but make sure you're doing your best to mimic the real test conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Idk about TPR, But I would rather take Altius FLs. I liked them better than NS, Kaplan, EK. I took 6FLs and did the other 4 in sections (yeah you can do that). Altius exams were hard, especially their BB section, but they definitely helped me with data analysis questions as they were data heavy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 497 on my first TPR test and ended up with a much better score on the real thing. You should be okay. Use AAMC materials if you can in the remaining time you have left (especially the SB and FL). TPR and AAMC utilize two different test taking skills.

Last edited:
I am in a situation similar to OP (494 on my first TPR FL recently), and wanted to know if I should continue taking TPR FLs to see if there's improvement, or should I stick to their Science Workbook and CARS workbook passages as outlined by the course schedule.

I am ~50 days from my exam and going to start AAMC material soon.

I am in a situation similar to OP (494 on my first TPR FL recently), and wanted to know if I should continue taking TPR FLs to see if there's improvement, or should I stick to their Science Workbook and CARS workbook passages as outlined by the course schedule.

ID your weak points and address those in the science workbook. I found it to be hit or miss with some topics. Best of luck. Feel free to ask me any questions. I used a TPR course as well.

Continue to use TPR exams. Even though they're harder, they force you to manage your time well during a difficult exam. I thought my real MCAT was harder than the AAMC practice ones, and probably would have gotten overwhelmed if I didn't have the experience that the TPR exams gave me in regards to handling a stressful exam well. So continue to improve in your weak points, but also make an effort to fit a practice exam in once a week.