$42 an hour pharmacist job, would you take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have a potential job opportunity. medical marijuana dispensing pharmacist. 90k for the first 3 months, then bumps up to 95k. after that 2.5% raise every year. 40 hours a week. supposedly much much better quality of life compared to retail. can work while sitting down, having an actual lunch, no bitchy customers, etc. i'm hoping it's low key in that management won't always be down your throat. very relaxed, positive, and enriching work environment. health insurance included but no 401k offered as of yet, the place is fairly new

would you take this job?

i'm most likely going to be fired from wags soon due to too many customer complaints. have never heard this happening to anyone before, but i may be the first. with this in mind, it makes sense to grip onto anything at this point and try for dear life to not piss anyone off and hopefully find a home

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, until marijuana is removed from Schedule I federally, you are lighting your pharmacist license on fire to take that job.

The only way I'd get involved in medical marijuana is to be an owner, make enough in 5-10 years to retire.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, until marijuana is removed from Schedule I federally, you are lighting your pharmacist license on fire to take that job.

The only way I'd get involved in medical marijuana is to be an owner, make enough in 5-10 years to retire.
how sure are you about that? even in states where marijuana is legal for either medical or recreational use?

what about the pharmacists currently in these jobs? have they lit their license on fire?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Marijuana (spelled with an "h" incidentally) is Schedule 1 federally and the states can only be MORE restrictive (hypothetically like scheduling gabapentin or pseudoephedrine). The feds treat it like heroin, LSD, and ecstasy whether people like it or not. The current marijuana businesses are depending on lack of manpower and political willpower needed to send them to prison. I would imagine selling illegal drugs would ban you from DoD, VA, IHS, BoP, etc. positions for life. My initial license is from a "pot pharmacist" state and all products have to be produced entirely in-state to avoid some of the DEA jurisdiction issues. But remember your pay is criminal assets and, if the political winds shift, you could be screwed by RICO and related laws (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer...blah, blah, blah...).

Marijuana (spelled with an "h" incidentally) is Schedule 1 federally and the states can only be MORE restrictive (hypothetically like scheduling gabapentin or pseudoephedrine). The feds treat it like heroin, LSD, and ecstasy whether people like it or not. The current marijuana businesses are depending on lack of manpower and political willpower needed to send them to prison. I would imagine selling illegal drugs would ban you from DoD, VA, IHS, BoP, etc. positions for life. My initial license is from a "pot pharmacist" state and all products have to be produced entirely in-state to avoid some of the DEA jurisdiction issues. But remember your pay is criminal assets and, if the political winds shift, you could be screwed by RICO and related laws (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer...blah, blah, blah...).
does anyone know how detrimental it would be though? for example if i get the job and work there for 3 years, something happens and i'm out the job, would i still be able to find work at, for example, an independent retail? i know they can see my resume and will notice my most recent experience is medical marijuana, but i do have a year retail experience as well. how legit is the blackballing of MMJ pharmacists, is it super strict?

have a potential job opportunity. medical marijuana dispensing pharmacist. 90k for the first 3 months, then bumps up to 95k. after that 2.5% raise every year. 40 hours a week. supposedly much much better quality of life compared to retail. can work while sitting down, having an actual lunch, no bitchy customers, etc. i'm hoping it's low key in that management won't always be down your throat. very relaxed, positive, and enriching work environment. health insurance included but no 401k offered as of yet, the place is fairly new

would you take this job?

i'm most likely going to be fired from wags soon due to too many customer complaints. have never heard this happening to anyone before, but i may be the first. with this in mind, it makes sense to grip onto anything at this point and try for dear life to not piss anyone off and hopefully find a home

Haha hell yea dude! Take that job!

Just call it dank

does anyone know how detrimental it would be though? for example if i get the job and work there for 3 years, something happens and i'm out the job, would i still be able to find work at, for example, an independent retail? i know they can see my resume and will notice my most recent experience is medical marijuana, but i do have a year retail experience as well. how legit is the blackballing of MMJ pharmacists, is it super strict?

You've only worked a year and have enough complaints to get fired? Impressive!

The new job offer sounds great to me.

You've only worked a year and have enough complaints to get fired? Impressive!

The new job offer sounds great to me.
even at a $42-45 per hr pay rate?

i think i was "flagged" early on. like 3 months after i started, the RXM and store manager identified me as a "problem" and started collecting each complaint and documenting it. if i had a different home store and RXM i could definitely see myself being able to stick around. i'm not gonna miss floating though, people treat you like ****. they automatically assume you're a nothing. unless you kiss ass to them super hard

even at a $42-45 per hr pay rate?

i think i was "flagged" early on. like 3 months after i started, the RXM and store manager identified me as a "problem" and started collecting each complaint and documenting it. if i had a different home store and RXM i could definitely see myself being able to stick around. i'm not gonna miss floating though, people treat you like ****. they automatically assume you're a nothing. unless you kiss ass to them super hard

Rph pay is headed that way anyway.

All of the discussion about MMJ aside, how does that $42/hr compare to other jobs in the area? And is it a lower CoL city/state? Some hospitals pay new grads in that range.

All of the discussion about MMJ aside, how does that $42/hr compare to other jobs in the area? And is it a lower CoL city/state? Some hospitals pay new grads in that range.

I think it's comparable to most places nowadays but always have potential to move up.

If you're smart, you'll take it and run. Or we'll replace you with technicians.

The best part about taking this job would be - when all those people joke about how you “sell drugs for a living” you could bring that cliche to a whole new level

Reactions: 1 users

would you take this job?

Don't forget that you will probably get robbed depending on the side of town you're in

Don't forget that you will probably get robbed depending on the side of town you're in

Some of these places are built like Fort Knox in Goldfinger. https://www.007james.com/i/gadgets/gf/rumpus/map-pointer.jpg and http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/007-Legends-Fort-Knox-Goldfinger.jpg for visual examples. I have a family member who uses medical and there are armed guards even though most cops only carry tasers and batons in my hometown (note: the dispensary is not, in fact, in my hometown but still...)

Some of these places are built like Fort Knox in Goldfinger. https://www.007james.com/i/gadgets/gf/rumpus/map-pointer.jpg and http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/007-Legends-Fort-Knox-Goldfinger.jpg for visual examples. I have a family member who uses medical and there are armed guards even though most cops only carry tasers and batons in my hometown (note: the dispensary is not, in fact, in my hometown but still...)

Well, they have to be, because they get no federal help if something goes wrong. There have already been a couple of cash heists from the ones in Seattle that are unreported to UCR, because the FBI will not investigate them if something goes wrong. It'll be an interesting case when some civilian (has no business whatsoever with the dispensary) becomes a collateral damage victim in some security fight. Like what the FBI is doing in CA, I expect reverse rackateering to occur sooner or later unless someone addresses the policy at the federal level.

Reactions: 2 users

Even so, a semi-automatic copy of an M2 is not that expensive compared to the amount of cash those places move

I've been following your posts and I think, yes, in your situation, I would take it. Unless you are massively exaggerating the severity of your situation.
However, I know nothing of the long-term career ramifications of working in this field. Does it close off other doors? I would definitely do more research in that regard.