41 years old, Do I have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am some what different from most of you in the sense that I am 41 years old (Old man some say hahaha). Any how, I am getting ready to take MCAT in September 2013. I have a BS in Biology with a GPA 3.55 sGPA 3.61 and a BS in nursing with a GPA of 2.72 (yea I really suck there). The reason for this low GPA is that I got married right before I started the accelerated BSN (18 months) and we got pregnant with our first child. My daughter was born while I was still in nursing school. I was working 20-30 per week. I know no excuse is a good excuse, but that the one I have. Beside that I have been a business owner for 5 year, HVAC tech for 2 years, I am RN from last three years and have worked as a stroke nurse, med surge nurse, and in Nursing homes. I am volunteering at a teen age pregnancy center since May of this year. I have 2 docs lined up for shadowing. I also have 4 months of undergrad Biology research. I am and Indiana resident. What do you guys think are my chance to get into med school? I would really love some constructive feed bad and it would much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The low Nursing GPA is concerning to me, despite the reason. I think it's best to check back once you have your MCAT score.

Age is irrelevant and age discrimination is illegal. Some of my all time best students were in their 40s.

Hi guys, I am some what different from most of you in the sense that I am 41 years old (Old man some say hahaha). Any how, I am getting ready to take MCAT in September 2013. I have a BS in Biology with a GPA 3.55 sGPA 3.61 and a BS in nursing with a GPA of 2.72 (yea I really suck there). The reason for this low GPA is that I got married right before I started the accelerated BSN (18 months) and we got pregnant with our first child. My daughter was born while I was still in nursing school. I was working 20-30 per week. I know no excuse is a good excuse, but that the one I have. Beside that I have been a business owner for 5 year, HVAC tech for 2 years, I am RN from last three years and have worked as a stroke nurse, med surge nurse, and in Nursing homes. I am volunteering at a teen age pregnancy center since May of this year. I have 2 docs lined up for shadowing. I also have 4 months of undergrad Biology research. I am and Indiana resident. What do you guys think are my chance to get into med school? I would really love some constructive feed bad and it would much appreciated.

IMO, the more elite MD schools will (sadly) look down on you for your past work experience. I go to one and did a lot of "blue collar" skilled labor type of stuff before and throughout med school. Even though I made lots of money doing this work, the few times I have brought it up has brought either no recognition or downright criticism (not being "committed to medicine"). While my fellow students seemed to appreciate my skills and experience, I (and maybe this is in my head) felt like there was a lot of classist attitudes held by the older academics. These schools tend to prefer upper class younger students with perfect transcripts since grade school and little "life experience" to mess things up. I don't have any data to support this, but my hunch is that your nursing background is not going to make you look good either. I have heard though, that DO schools are a lot more accommodating to people like you, so that is where I would focus my effort unless you slaughter the mcat with a 43 or something.

I think that is important for you to come to the table with a very strong mcat (mid 30s+) to squelch any doubts.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are applying, I think you should explain why your gpa in nursing was so low. I hope that you will get in somewhere. Good luck!

Do you really want to be 50 years old before you get your first real job?

Age really don't matter to me. And notbobtrustme, trust me that should be my problem not yours. Thanks for putting your 2 cents in anyways.

There is relevance to include age into the equation.

HIS QUESTION CONCERNS HIS CHANCES OF GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

"Do you really want to be 50 years old before you get your first real job?" ADDS NO RELEVANCE OR VALUE TO THE QUESTION OF HIS GODDAMN CHANCES TO GET INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Age really don't matter to me. And notbobtrustme, trust me that should be my problem not yours. Thanks for putting your 2 cents in anyways.

I can say from experience that any older non-trad >40 has spent many hours and more than a few sleepless nights contemplating what we are doing and especially why.

HIS QUESTION CONCERNS HIS CHANCES OF GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

"Do you really want to be 50 years old before you get your first real job?" ADDS NO RELEVANCE OR VALUE TO THE QUESTION OF HIS GODDAMN CHANCES TO GET INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It does. You have to look at the whole picture.

I mean, I was 29 when I started med school and the prospect of training until I'm in my late 30s haunts me everyday.

I can see what you mean, but still you don't know what others are feeling. The thought of being old and not even trying to be what I have always wanted to be haunts me. I mentioned my age because it is more than usual med student. I hope you understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does. You have to look at the whole picture.

I mean, I was 29 when I started med school and the prospect of training until I'm in my late 30s haunts me everyday.

It sounds like he's had real jobs and wants a different career now. The other part of the equation for a lot of older people looking at graduate or professional school is, what is he going to do if he doesn't go to med school? Sure, starting younger may have been more ideal... but what are you going to to do with that knowledge? Start earlier next time?

It sounds like he's had real jobs and wants a different career now. The other part of the equation for a lot of older people looking at graduate or professional school is, what is he going to do if he doesn't go to med school? Sure, starting younger may have been more ideal... but what are you going to to do with that knowledge? Start earlier next time?

I get that, but at 41, there simply isn't that much time left. Why is he looking at a 10 year commitment before he can actually practice instead of something like PA school which has a 2 year commitment. The math simply doesn't work out especially if he has other obligations such as a family, house, etc etc. At some point, you just have to move on from your dreams and face reality. Few people want to hear these words and fewer still will say it.

Point well taken, I understand you are coming from heart and with logic. My wife just got her Pharmacist license. She can make enough to run our house and then more. She is fully behind me and has seen the pain that I have gone through since and graduated and wasn't able to do what I wanted to do. I am taking this as my last chance. We are prepared and are ok with working hard for next 10 years. My kids are still very young. If I can do what I have always wanted to do and make sure they won't have to go through what I do to go through, I would do it any time. I hope you understand.

Thanks Gliabelle, and you are right I have had many real jobs and made some real good money too. I have run my own business and had 15 trucks running for me. I enjoyed those days. I learned a lot from those days. I have been a nurse in stroke unit, step down telemetry unit, and in nursing homes. I have seen many things over the years. I have even lost a million dollar house and my business and still survived. I want to do this because I want to do this, and what ever sacrifice I have to make for it my family is behind me. Thanks for the support.

I know 50 probably sounds really old to the very young, but it isn't. I've known several people who went to med school in their late 30's/early 40's (mostly from a nursing background, in fact) and were very successful and happy with the decision. Sure, it means you probably won't be retiring at 65... but who does that anymore, with life spans well into the 80's?

While part of me wishes I had started when I was younger, there are advantages to starting older, as well... like having a spouse with an established career to help support you, not worrying about taking a break to start a family (my kids will be in college by the time I graduate) and already having a paid-off car and equity in a home, rather than starting from scratch with a new auto loan and mortgage like so many people do as they are getting started and establishing their new adult lives. That means that once you are done and making good money, other than paying off student loans that money goes directly into a retirement fund and improving your quality of life, rather than into getting started on all the things you already did decades earlier.

Only you know your individual circumstances and what the positives and negatives of starting med school right now will be for you.

For the record, the math works out great, in my case. But then, the program I hope to get into is stipended so I'll be coming out of it with less than $50k of debt, no kids at home, and only 5 years left on my mortgage. Honestly that sounds like a really awesome situation to me, even if it was only about the money... which it isn't.

I think you have a chance, granted you need to blow the MCAT outta the water, and potentially take some remedial course work. But why not? Some of the best students in my class were older than average, and the maturity they bring is definitely very appreciated. I say go for it!

OP, I am also 41 and I'm applying this cycle. Don't let others sway you if it is your true passion. The best advice I ever got on this subject:
"You're going to be 50 no matter what, you just have to decide whether or not you also want to be a doctor!"
Best of luck to you.

That's none of your goddamn business and off-topic to his question.

It is relevant because it is exactly what the admissions committee will be thinking/asking and all else being equal his chances will be lower compared to someone in their early/mid twenties. Some careful consideration about what this question entails as well as a thoughtful answer can only help his/your chances.

The residency program I am at currently (as an M3 doing an away) has someone who is a little older, so it isn't impossible. There are also a couple people in my class over 40. I haven't seen age stats in terms of success rate but I'd wager older people are applying in larger and larger numbers and the relatively few we see at the tail end says something. It is also important to remember that it isn't just the adcom you need to impress. At many places the residents have input to who the PD ranks and they may take into consideration one's age. You might find that this limits your options in terms of specialties and locations.

I went to a us md school at 39 yo graduated at 43 and finished IM residency at 46 yo I certified in IM at 46 recerted at 56 and have practiced medicine for 14 years.

Going to medical school was the best thing I ever did

Last edited:
i applied when I was 40 and started at 41. Now starting 2nd year.
Go for it!!!

i applied when I was 40 and started at 41. Now starting 2nd year.
Go for it!!!

:thumbup: congrats

I dont think anyone is telling him not to go for it. But the answer to the question is something he will likely be answering often during his training. The "none of your business" response is just a super bad way to approach the issue.

:thumbup: congrats

I dont think anyone is telling him not to go for it. But the answer to the question is something he will likely be answering often during his training. The "none of your business" response is just a super bad way to approach the issue.

Most people IRL aren't as trollish as you. It's not like they're gonna be in his face drilling him about it. In 99% of the cases it will be a non issue.

Most people IRL aren't as trollish as you.
Wow. You proud of that?
Do you disagree with something I've said or find something said here offensive? Or are you just trying to pick a fight over some beef from months ago?

Last edited:
I have to echo what others have said. It sounds as though the op has had many real jobs. You might even call them careers! Many of us non-traditional types are looking for second careers in medicine.
To the op: you are the only one who can truly answer your original question. Age is not your limiting factor but you must decide what you want and whether it is worth it. Best of luck in your decision!

I think if you have it all figured out financially and have your wife's support then heck yeah go for it!
It's never too late to become what you want to be.
Best of wishes!

I get that, but at 41, there simply isn't that much time left. Why is he looking at a 10 year commitment before he can actually practice instead of something like PA school which has a 2 year commitment. The math simply doesn't work out especially if he has other obligations such as a family, house, etc etc. At some point, you just have to move on from your dreams and face reality. Few people want to hear these words and fewer still will say it.

From a numbers and sensible perspective you are right. It's not worth it. It's crazy. Financially is a loss. However, I am going to say this. One day, I am going to be 50 years old. I can be doing something else or I can be following my dreams and practicing medicine. I believe that life is a journey and not a destination. Why should you stop growing and learning new information and skills just because you are middle aged?

I am a third year medical student and in two weeks I celebrate my 42nd birthday. :)

If you have a compelling reason, energy and can show commitment to the field, and also have a decent gpa and mcat, then no, your age is not a factor. Maturity and professionalism count for a lot in the admissions process, maybe even more so in the last few years. Make sure you are solid in your pre-reqs, though. It is harder to learn as you get older, so be as prepared as you can be. Good luck.

I am aware of a 65-year-old PGY1. Seriously... Getting old is not fun, but it is inescapable, sigh...

I wish that people do not discriminate against you for age. Some places I know will. Be willing to learn and take instructions from those in their twenties, and that should address one concern some might have. Age discrimnation, however illegal, does exist in healthcare :(
but it does not exist at 100% of institutions.

Many physicians will discriminate and look down on you because of your past experience, but I am thankful that there are many "good" doctors out there.