4 yr OMFS guys doing private practice CF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaiceman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How successful are these guys? Would we be limited to academics? I'm considering doing such a fellowship, but I'm having a hard time assessing the cost/benefit ratio (i.e paying loans vs not finding a position to gratifying my level of training).

Members don't see this ad.

How successful are these guys? Would we be limited to academics? I'm considering doing such a fellowship, but I'm having a hard time assessing the cost/benefit ratio (i.e paying loans vs not finding a position to gratifying my level of training).

Gary "Kazanjian who?" Ruska here,

A few things about craniofacial surgery (these are all anecdotal, with n > 1, but less than 10, so other's experiences may differ)

1. It is very hard to do craniofacial as a double degree OMFS in an academic center. It is infinitely more difficult to do it as a single degree OMFS in private practice. It is very hard to do craniofacial as a young plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon as well. Experience matters with these patients and there are very well known craniofacial surgeons in most major metropolitan areas who have been operating for 30+ years. And there are at least 3-4 guys waiting for each of these guys to retire just so they can step in and have their chance.

2. Increasingly, no single practitioner can handle the complex needs of these patients and it is the official position of the American Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Association that these patients be treated by multi-disciplinary teams at Craniofacial Centers.

3. As a single degree guy, you will have an uphill battle to fight. Make no mistake. Unless your goal is to be an orthognathic surgeon, alveolar bone graft guy or dental implant guy on the craniofacial team - in this case, probably not too much difficulty getting recognized. However, if you trained at any halfway decent OMFS program, you will not need a fellowship to bring this type of expertise to the team.