4 year vs 6 year OMS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple Monkey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am confused on which program I should try to apply for. 4/6 year, any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you ask this question to a group of random strangers, then you haven't even done enough research to warrant applying for either one.

Reactions: 1 users
What are your career goals post-residency?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So.... do you want an MD or no? That should be a pretty good starting point lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Are you gonna start picking a fight MD vs no MD?

Haha. It was a troll reply dude. Didn't think people would take that seriously cuz it's so blatantly obvious.
There has been numerous threads on the 4 vs 6 and each pathway has their benefits. Got lots of respect for the 4 year guys, even if that reply didn't show it.
Even with an MD, your medical counterparts don't really see you as "one of them" and you're just a dentist.
I've externed at both 4 and 6 year programs and saw that, in general, 4 year guys are more ready for private practice than 6 year guys. Having a continuous surgical education does wonders for your hand skills.

I've externed at both 4 and 6 year programs and saw that, in general, 4 year guys are more ready for private practice than 6 year guys. Having a continuous surgical education does wonders for your hand skills.

Ouch, that is a bit of a back-handed compliment.

If you ask this question to a group of random strangers, then you haven't even done enough research to warrant applying for either one.

Choose like this: Does the OP think he can handle attitudes like this (see quoted post) for 4 years or 6 years?

Choose like this: Does the OP think he can handle attitudes like this (see quoted post) for 4 years or 6 years?
Ha. Nobody wants a resident who isn't adult enough to make their own decision and do their own research.

And 6 years of an this attitude would be a really long time, but technically, you would spend 2 years with other pricks in medical school with worse attitudes.

And 6 years of an this attitude would be a really long time, but technically, you would spend 2 years with other pricks in medical school with worse attitudes.

lol! i think OMFS are generally nicer than general surgery services and most other surgery services, but not as nice as pediatrics (family / internal / pediatrics) or neurology.

Do all your electives/sub-internships's with pediatric services and you'll be loving life.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your career goals post-residency?
I was wondering if you have more of a scope of practice after the 6 year program than 4 year program. Maybe be able to do plastic surgery...

The scope of practice for 6 year vs 4 year program are exactly the same. You can do cosmetic surgery with either one. You most likely won't be doing extensive cosmetic surgery. If you would like to do more extensive plastic surgery then a fellowship would be helpful. Most plastic surgery fellowship programs favor 6 year guys vs the 4 year guys. I hope this helps.

I was wondering if you have more of a scope of practice after the 6 year program than 4 year program. Maybe be able to do plastic surgery...

Remember, Plastic Surgery is a surgical specialty, not a set of surgical procedures. There is a pathway to in Plastic Surgery fellowships through OMFS, but that would require a 6 year OMFS residency, 2 consecutive years of general surgery (At most programs this would mean an additional year on top of OMFS residency) and a 3 year fellowship.

If you're talking about cosmetic surgery (Rhinoplasty, blepheroplasty, facelifts, etc...) then there are ways to do that through OMFS through either pathway, though it is relatively uncommon for OMFS graduates of either pathway to have a significant portion of their practice consist of cosmetic surgery.

If I recall correctly, one of the major reasons of getting an MD as an OMFS is to secure an unrestricted operating room privilege at a hospital.

If I recall correctly, one of the major reasons of getting an MD as an OMFS is to secure an unrestricted operating room privilege at a hospital.
You don't recall correct.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember, Plastic Surgery is a surgical specialty, not a set of surgical procedures. There is a pathway to in Plastic Surgery fellowships through OMFS, but that would require a 6 year OMFS residency, 2 consecutive years of general surgery (At most programs this would mean an additional year on top of OMFS residency) and a 3 year fellowship.

If you're talking about cosmetic surgery (Rhinoplasty, blepheroplasty, facelifts, etc...) then there are ways to do that through OMFS through either pathway, though it is relatively uncommon for OMFS graduates of either pathway to have a significant portion of their practice consist of cosmetic surgery.

Referring to this document right here for the pathway to plastic surgery:
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/360_pathways.pdf

An MD would be helpful if you wanna stay in academia, as it makes you a more attractive candidate. For example check out this job posting:
https://www.healthecareers.com/aaoms/job/full-time-faculty-must-be-board-certified-dds-dmd/1700477
If you don't have an MD, you are pretty much out of luck trying to get a job there.
A majority of the programs don't require an MD, but you won't be closing any doors with it.

In the community, the scope of practice is exactly the same and what you did during your residency is more important than if you have an MD or not.
For example, you do tons of cancer at Knoxville and the 4-year residents are extremely comfortable going through the neck. So you have 4-year guys who can do malignant path and don't even sweat it.
Compare that to many 6-year MD programs that do not do any ablatives and stick mainly to dentoalveolar.
If you are part of a hospital administration, and a patient has malignant path, are you more comfortable with giving privileges to the 4-year Knoxville grad who's done tons of these cases, or an MD Oral surgeon who's never seen a neck dissection?

Referring to this document right here for the pathway to plastic surgery:
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/360_pathways.pdf

An MD would be helpful if you wanna stay in academia, as it makes you a more attractive candidate. For example check out this job posting:
https://www.healthecareers.com/aaoms/job/full-time-faculty-must-be-board-certified-dds-dmd/1700477
If you don't have an MD, you are pretty much out of luck trying to get a job there.
A majority of the programs don't require an MD, but you won't be closing any doors with it.

In the community, the scope of practice is exactly the same and what you did during your residency is more important than if you have an MD or not.
For example, you do tons of cancer at Knoxville and the 4-year residents are extremely comfortable going through the neck. So you have 4-year guys who can do malignant path and don't even sweat it.
Compare that to many 6-year MD programs that do not do any ablatives and stick mainly to dentoalveolar.
If you are part of a hospital administration, and a patient has malignant path, are you more comfortable with giving privileges to the 4-year Knoxville grad who's done tons of these cases, or an MD Oral surgeon who's never seen a neck dissection?
That's like saying your clinical experience in dental school matters a lot when in fact most dentists would tell you that you learn more out in the real world and that the difference in clinical skills right after graduation becomes negligible after some years in the real world. What doesn't become negligible is that MD credential framed and hanging on the wall after a 6-yr residency as opposed to a mere certificate in the case of a 4-yr one.

That's like saying your clinical experience in dental school matters a lot when in fact most dentists would tell you that you learn more out in the real world and that the difference in clinical skills right after graduation becomes negligible after some years in the real world. What doesn't become negligible is that MD credential framed and hanging on the wall after a 6-yr residency as opposed to a mere certificate in the case of 4-yr one.

You're right. What applies to general dentistry also applies to oral surgery 100%. Pretty sure there are weekend CE classes where you go to a third world country and practice doing free flaps on people.

You're right. What applies to general dentistry also applies to oral surgery 100%. Pretty sure there are weekend CE classes where you go to a third world country and practice doing free flaps on people.
Ever heard of fellowships?

Ever heard of fellowships?

So you would trust an MD oral surgeon with no prior experience in ablatives to remove your malignant squamous cell carcinoma on the lateral border of your tongue over a non-MD oral surgeon that has removed tons of them during residency? I thought that was the point we are debating here.

So you would trust an MD oral surgeon with no prior experience in ablatives to remove your malignant squamous cell carcinoma on the lateral border of your tongue over a non-MD oral surgeon that has removed tons of them during residency? I thought that was the point we are debating here.
That your assumption that an MD oral surgeon, once out of the residency, will not get to have a certain surgical experience a DDS only oral surgeon got to experience in his/her 4-yr residency is wrong is what I'm trying to get at.

That your assumption that an MD oral surgeon, once out of the residency, will not get to have a certain surgical experience a DDS only oral surgeon got to experience in his/her 4-yr residency is wrong is what I'm trying to get at.

I never made that assumption. What you do during your residency and fellowship will have a tremendous effect on your scope of practice.
There are no certain surgical experience that is limited to only 4 year or 6 year tracks. The faculty at your oral surgery residency will decide on the scope of practice and they will train you to operate like them.
So if an MD oral surgeon did not get any training in ablatives during their residency, it will be hard, if not impossible, to get patients to "practice on" when you're out in the community.
Just brought up Knoxville because you should not paint all 4-year and 6-year residency with broad strokes. Knoxville is a bit of an anomaly since they do stuff that most 6-year programs don't even try.

I never made that assumption. What you do during your residency and fellowship will have a tremendous effect on your scope of practice.
There are no certain surgical experience that is limited to only 4 year or 6 year tracks. The faculty at your oral surgery residency will decide on the scope of practice and they will train you to operate like them.
So if an MD oral surgeon did not get any training in ablatives during their residency, it will be hard, if not impossible, to get patients to "practice on" when you're out in the community.
Just brought up Knoxville because you should not paint all 4-year and 6-year residency with broad strokes. Knoxville is a bit of an anomaly since they do stuff that most 6-year programs don't even try.

I agree with the above. Scope of training during residency matters more...but I do think MD plays a factor at certain institutions and youe referral base

Also...what is knoxville doing that no one else is trying?

I agree with the above. Scope of training during residency matters more...but I do think MD plays a factor at certain institutions and youe referral base

Also...what is knoxville doing that no one else is trying?

Most programs, 4 year or 6 year, do not do ablatives or free flaps.
Carlson at Knoxville does ablatives.

Here's a quick and dirty list of programs that have faculty that do cancer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/omfs-programs-doing-cancer-free-flaps.1063456/page-2

You can see that about 30 of the 100 or so OMFS residencies have faculty that do cancer.

Having an MD levels the playing field.
But in either case, as an OMS trying to do extended scope you are usually going to feel like you have a ****ing fetus on the side of your head when you do those first cases. But when you stick to what you have done, and know (based on residency/fellowship training) you will be fine.

I think its easier to do expanded scope with an MD because there are many ******s out there, who have no clue of what we do. Administrators, old school MDs, RNs who don't know, are definitely more likely to assume that a "medical doctor" is more competent to do a trach , flap , etc. ie. a general surgeon who wants to cut out a jaw.. most ppl would say... " is he really going that? meh..oh well " versus an oral surgeon dds who wants to raise a flap most ppl would say " IS HE REALLY GOING TO DO THAT??? oh **** thats ****t up! stop him he's going to kill everyone". These assumptions are ingrained in us because most people like to keep it simple in their minds of who can do what.

It's like how some people think podiatrist only clean feet, some of them can do alot more, etc.
We are in that same boat at times, we are the ****ing foot doctor of the head and neck. You throw on an MD, and then you have less people to impress or who are quick to judge.

There will always be people who recognize skill and talent irregardless of the degree you have. HOWEVER, for the haters, and uninitiated , these are the people who will screen for competence/legitimacy by just checking if someone has an MD.

ANother good example... going to a restaurant that requires a dress code: you wear the jacket, and regardless of what you are wearing underneath you get in, and do your thing.. If you want to wear a wife beater with a big tooth on it, then you will surely get stopped, and then you have to go through so many more ******* hoops to prove yourself.. If you're down to prove that 900 times a day, then be my guest.

anyway.. just wanted to say my piece.

I think it's geographical too. We have a few surgeons here that have their MDs and don't even have hospital privileges. They are known in the community to be in the second tier and do nothing except Medicaid teeth all day long. The four year guys and gals here do probably 95% of the hospital cases and take all the hospital call.

I also think it has zero weight on a referral base here. The few MDs have mediocre private practices here (yet still wildly successful). So just like most things in surgery, it all depends on so many things.

But I am positive that due to the great OMS guys who were here before me in my city, I get treated great by my hospitals and have no restrictions based on my training.

The 4 year guys have better surgical training imo. However, from rotating around the different medical services, I can say that the general impression from the medical community is that they prefer the guy that went to med school rather than no med school. Some of them think DDS can't admit patient to hospital (wtf?). So in my humble opinion, the DDS need to prove themselves more than the dual degree guy. It is the same here with DO. DO have to go out of their way to prove they are on the same par with MD. I don't see this impression will change anytime soon.

The 4 year guys have better surgical training imo. However, from rotating around the different medical services, I can say that the general impression from the medical community is that they prefer the guy that went to med school rather than no med school. Some of them think DDS can't admit patient to hospital (wtf?). So in my humble opinion, the DDS need to prove themselves more than the dual degree guy. It is the same here with DO. DO have to go out of their way to prove they are on the same par with MD. I don't see this impression will change anytime soon.

Depends on the program. Directors with both 4-year and 6-year tracks have told me there is not difference in surgical skill. Many have said, however, that patient management is better with the guys who have an MD.

An MD will forever follow my name, but my case log will not. While hospitals who I apply for OR privileges may look at my case log during residency... a patient will never have access to that. So... the patient doesn't really know who has more experience with a certain type of case.. What they will know is that one has an additional degree under his/her belt.

An MD will forever follow my name, but my case log will not. While hospitals who I apply for OR privileges may look at my case log during residency... a patient will never have access to that. So... the patient doesn't really know who has more experience with a certain type of case.. What they will know is that one has an additional degree under his/her belt.

And your wife, kids and grandkids will know it cost you a million dollars to get it.

You are the same guy who said this. Sorry if I don't give you much thought.

All I'm saying is that it wasn't worth it for me. I'm very capable of the management of my patients and referrals, I have no issues at my 4 hospitals and I'm 2 years closer to retirement. My ABOMS certificate (the same one as a 6-year guy) will agree.

Respect for anyone who has reasons they want to do a 6-year. It's a personal decision for each surgeon.

You are the same guy who said this. Sorry if I don't give you much thought.

All I'm saying is that it wasn't worth it for me. I'm very capable of the management of my patients and referrals, I have no issues at my 4 hospitals and I'm 2 years closer to retirement. My ABOMS certificate (the same one as a 6-year guy) will agree.

Respect for anyone who has reasons they want to do a 6-year. It's a personal decision for each surgeon.
It'd be interesting to see how your view would shift in the next few years out in the real world. Be sure to keep us updated. Let's hope that you are viewed with the same level of respect as DDS/MD oral surgeons, which seems doubtful.

Ummmmm......I'm already out.

It'd be interesting to see how your view would shift in the next few years out in the real world. Be sure to keep us updated. Let's hope that you are viewed with the same level of respect as DDS/MD oral surgeons, which seems doubtful.

The majority of oral/maxillofacial surgeons I know are 4-year surgeons, and there is no difference in the level of respect they receive. I for one don't make any distinction in who I refer to, and I don't know any dentists who do. I suggest graduating from dental school before you try to lecture those of us who are, as you say, in the "real world".

Good ol'.... assume makes an ass out of u and me. Relevant.

Reactions: 2 users
The majority of oral/maxillofacial surgeons I know are 4-year surgeons, and there is no difference in the level of respect they receive. I for one don't make any distinction in who I refer to, and I don't know any dentists who do. I suggest graduating from dental school before you try to lecture those of us who are, as you say, in the "real world".

It's key that you said "any dentists". Physicians make a distinction. And it influences where they refer.

Any 4year surgeon who is good would have been better with medical training.

I think choosing a 4 year program is fine, and there are some good ones...but this 6 year bashing has to stop because it's crazy. No one ever became a worse surgeon from going to medical school.

It's key that you said "any dentists". Physicians make a distinction. And it influences where they refer.

I think choosing a 4 year program is fine, and there are some good ones...but this 6 year bashing has to stop because it's crazy. No one ever became a worse surgeon from going to medical school.

Respect your opinion, but completely disagree. It's still geographical. Physicians still call you a dentist because that is what you are. And it all depends on what you want to do. My DA, implant, TMJ, trauma, orthognathic practice is great without my MD. And if I lose a physician referral, it will be ok. If I lose a Ortho referral, my practice feels it.

To be fair, I don't think I ever bashed 6 year programs. I simply gave my opinion on why I absolutely love my 4 year. There are some great MD ones (and terrible ones), just like 4 year programs. But I think people have become worse surgeons by going to a terrible 6 year program instead of a great 4 year though. I agree, no one has become a worse surgeon by going to med school in a 6 year, but going to med school in a crummy 6 year doesn't make you a better surgeon.

Reactions: 3 users

No one is bashing six year programs. But most physicians don't even know there's two tracks of training, and as the above poster noted, it's the referrals from dentists that keep the vast majority of OMSs in business, not the referrals from MDs.

And I don't necessarily agree that 4-year surgeons would have been better with six-year degrees. More knowledge doesn't hurt, for sure, but many of the foremost leaders in the field are four-year surgeons.

The six-year seems to be your thing - that's great. In the end, I suspect it really isn't going to matter. To each his own...

Last edited:
Just for the record, the point I am trying to get across is that everything else being equal, a 6-yr program will provide more medical knowledge and foundation, which can only help oral surgeons. Also, when I say everything else being equal, I mean that every comparison should be made within the same institution and within the same entering class year. E.g.) Considering a 4-yr program at a certain institution vs a 6 yr program at the same institution for class of X, the latter program will provide more breadth and depth of medical knowledge than the former. Making a comparison like "the worst 6-yr program" vs "the best 4-year program" is pointless at best.

Last but not least, one of the major reasons why some of the "leaders" in OMFS appear to be DDS only (didn't fact check; just relaying what the "verified dentist" has said above) may just be that these 6-year programs haven't been around for that long relative to 4-yr programs. Perhaps given enough time, the qualitative composition of OMFS leadership may shift from DDS only oral surgeons to dual degree holders. Think about it. Arguing that a 4-yr program resident trumps a 6-yr program resident is akin to saying that a general surgery resident who skipped 3rd and 4th yrs of med school (if we assume that is possible for the sake of this argument) trumps a co-resident who went through all four years of med school. You don't have to have a college degree to agree that the latter deserves and should command more respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, the point I am trying to get across is that everything else being equal, a 6-yr program will provide more medical knowledge and foundation, which can only help oral surgeons. Also, when I say everything else being equal, I mean that every comparison should be made within the same institution and within the same entering class year. E.g.) Considering a 4-yr program at a certain institution vs a 6 yr program at the same institution for class of X, the latter program will provide more breadth and depth of medical knowledge than the former. Making a comparison like "the worst 6-yr program" vs "the best 4-year program" is pointless at best.

Last not but not least, one of the major reasons why some of the "leaders" in OMFS appear to be DDS only (didn't fact check; just relaying what the "verified dentist" has said above) may just be that these 6-year programs haven't been around for that long relative to 4-yr programs. Perhaps given enough time, the qualitative composition of OMFS leadership may shift from DDS only oral surgeons to dual degree holders. Think about it. Arguing that a 4-yr program resident trumps a 6-yr program resident is akin to saying that a general surgery resident who skipped 3rd and 4th yrs of med school (if we assume that is possible for the sake of this argument) trumps a co-resident who went through all four years of med school. You don't have to have a college degree to agree that the latter deserves and should command more respect.

It'd be interesting to see how your view would shift in the next few years out of dental school and into the real world. Be sure to keep us updated. Let's hope that you are viewed with the same level of respect as DDS oral surgeons, which seems doubtful.

Enjoy dental school.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Granted, I am still a dental student, but I have been interested in the field for about 7 years now, and just finished up my interviews, so this is my view on the topic. Feel free to comment as needed.

Will 2 extra years of med school make you a better oral surgeon? Probably. But that is not the relevant question to me. The better question is "by how much?" You are adding 50% more time in residency and many more dollars in cost for how much more surgical skill? 1%? 2%? 50%? Will it be a clinically significant difference? Maybe yes, maybe no. Honestly, I'm not sure what the answer is... As far as respect goes, that is a paper argument IMO - if you shut up and do good work, people will respect you. If you feel you need the MD to get more respect, then I fear that you just might be a little too insecure to ever be satisfied. Also, as others stated earlier, even if you have an MD people will still see you as "just the dentist" haha.

If I were to boil it down, here are why I would choose one over the other:

Why do a 4 year:
  • Same scope of practice
  • No tuition
  • No lost income
  • Less time in residency
  • Usually more continuity of surgical training (not always)
  • No "useless" rotations such as OBGYN, psych, etc

Why do a 6 year:
  • Will never limit you your career
  • Academia is easier to get into (slightly)
  • Fellowships are easier to secure (much more so) - this is a big one for quite a few people I know
  • Can be a social requirement if you want to practice in an area that has mostly dual degree guys
  • Prestige from those who are not familiar with the field of OMFS
  • Pride in your own accomplishments - its OK to be proud of your MD degree, and don't let others belittle this.
  • Ego - this is an honest one, and is even one of the reasons I considered getting the MD. Nothing wrong with wanting to sooth the ego at all so long as you are honest about it!

Reactions: 9 users
Granted, I am still a dental student, but I have been interested in the field for about 7 years now, and just finished up my interviews, so this is my view on the topic. Feel free to comment as needed.

Will 2 extra years of med school make you a better oral surgeon? Probably. But that is not the relevant question to me. The better question is "by how much?" You are adding 50% more time in residency and many more dollars in cost for how much more surgical skill? 1%? 2%? 50%? Will it be a clinically significant difference? Maybe yes, maybe no. Honestly, I'm not sure what the answer is... As far as respect goes, that is a paper argument IMO - if you shut up and do good work, people will respect you. If you feel you need the MD to get more respect, then I fear that you just might be a little too insecure to ever be satisfied. Also, as others stated earlier, even if you have an MD people will still see you as "just the dentist" haha.

If I were to boil it down, here are why I would choose one over the other:

Why do a 4 year:
  • Same scope of practice
  • No tuition
  • No lost income
  • Less time in residency
  • Usually more continuity of surgical training (not always)
  • No "useless" rotations such as OBGYN, psych, etc

Why do a 6 year:
  • Will never limit you your career
  • Academia is easier to get into (slightly)
  • Fellowships are easier to secure (much more so) - this is a big one for quite a few people I know
  • Can be a social requirement if you want to practice in an area that has mostly dual degree guys
  • Prestige from those who are not familiar with the field of OMFS
  • Pride in your own accomplishments - its OK to be proud of your MD degree, and don't let others belittle this.
  • Ego - this is an honest one, and is even one of the reasons I considered getting the MD. Nothing wrong with wanting to sooth the ego at all so long as you are honest about it!

Great post. I'm not sure if you interviewed with my lowly, dumb, unedumacated 4-year program, but I sure hope you did. You will go far. Best of luck in the upcoming match.

Last but not least, one of the major reasons why some of the "leaders" in OMFS appear to be DDS only (didn't fact check; just relaying what the "verified dentist" has said above) may just be that these 6-year programs haven't been around for that long relative to 4-yr programs. Perhaps given enough time, the qualitative composition of OMFS leadership may shift from DDS only oral surgeons to dual degree holders. Think about it. Arguing that a 4-yr program resident trumps a 6-yr program resident is akin to saying that a general surgery resident who skipped 3rd and 4th yrs of med school (if we assume that is possible for the sake of this argument) trumps a co-resident who went through all four years of med school. You don't have to have a college degree to agree that the latter deserves and should command more respect.

LOL. Just stop digging bro.

This whole question is a joke. Nobody cares, yeah some dingus md might have a hissy fit that you are a real surgeon without an Md but who decided that mds are the only real surgeons? Get good surgical training, give great patient care, make your note and every naysayer will look on with envy at the dentist with the 10 mil portfolio and a 25 hr per week schedule. Stop worrying about perceptions and start caring about what is the best profession in healthcare, in the past , now, and forever