4 year HPSP spots remaining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kahr

Resident OMFP
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My recruiter just e-mailed me with this little tidbit:

"We have about 62 openings this year and 20 are already taken."

I have no idea if what he is saying is completely true, as he's had his inconsistencies in the past, but I thought I'd share that with anyone interested in or applying for a Navy HPSP this cycle. If anyone can inquire with their recruiter(s) about the numbers and see if the ones I was quoted are accurate, that'd be great.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds about right. Once your application is complete, it will go to review and if all is successful there, it is one of the ~60 applications waiting for one thing: an acceptance letter and the academic year sheet, which you can get at the earliest Dec 1st. At that point, it's pretty much time-sensitive: Whoever gets accepted first and gets their recruiter the proper proof of acceptance. (From what I understand)

See, that's the one thing I thought was odd about what my recruiter mentioned, that 20 spots were already taken. How can that be possible considering dental schools haven't given out any acceptances yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
See, that's the one thing I thought was odd about what my recruiter mentioned, that 20 spots were already taken. How can that be possible considering dental schools haven't given out any acceptances yet?

Some 4yrs were given to the people who applied the previous year and was waitlisted.

My recruiters told me that ~25 spots out of 50 had been taken. I believe that the 20-25 spots have been taken. Could the 12 extra spots be waitlist spots?

See, I was told that the spots taken up so far were just complete applications waiting for an acceptance letter. However, people entering from the wait list could be taking some of the spots.

Very interesting, so how exactly did it work on the waitlist process? Did they end up back paying you in some way? (Go update your status you sneaky dental student) ;)

I'll fix my status, I thought I had already updated it...

My file hit the last selection board, I was late it applying for various reasons. I was offered the collegiate scholarship but declined it. When I did, that they asked if I wanted to be wait listed. After that it was just a waiting game. They said I would hear back early October... I found out November 2nd that I was offered a slot. I don't think there were many on the wait list and i'm not sure how they decided who to take because there is another student in my class who is also on the wait list but he wasn't offered a scholarship as of yet.

I just commissioned last week...I was in limbo last cycle due to my application getting to the board late. They notified me in early October that I would be getting the 4 year HPSP.

20 spots can be taken because some are reserved for Midshipman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Next board is on the 13th (January), just an update for anyone going through the process right now.
Are there still spots open? I have had my physical at MEPS and have everything turned in including acceptance and recommendation letters, I have not had interviews yet and am waiting for the graduation AYS from my school.

Next board is on the 13th (January), just an update for anyone going through the process right now.

Thanks Kahr. This is what my recruiter told me. When would we find out about the scholarship then, immediately.

My recruiter emailed me on Monday and said we would hear back from boards this week. My application has been complete since October. Fingers crossed for good news soon!

Are there still spots open? I have had my physical at MEPS and have everything turned in including acceptance and recommendation letters, I have not had interviews yet and am waiting for the graduation AYS from my school.

I would assume for boards to take place there are spots open, else the recruiters would likely be telling us we're going up for waitlist spots or something along those lines. How many are left I don't know.

You say you have letters of acceptance, but not interviews? Do you mean a Navy interview? Otherwise I'm a bit confused about your situation.

Thanks Kahr. This is what my recruiter told me. When would we find out about the scholarship then, immediately.

That's what I was thinking :xf:, but when I'd asked how soon we'd hear, I didn't get an answer.

My recruiter emailed me on Monday and said we would hear back from boards this week. My application has been complete since October. Fingers crossed for good news soon!

Same. Hoping & praying :xf:

I would assume for boards to take place there are spots open, else the recruiters would likely be telling us we're going up for waitlist spots or something along those lines. How many are left I don't know.

You say you have letters of acceptance, but not interviews? Do you mean a Navy interview? Otherwise I'm a bit confused about your situation.

That's what I was thinking :xf:, but when I'd asked how soon we'd hear, I didn't get an answer.
Yes, I meant my Navy officer interview. Is there a GPA/DAT you don't need the interview? I'm 3.62/20.

I didn't have to do an interview. There was some line in the many documents my recruiter showed me that indicated an interview could be waived if the DAT score was higher than 19 and GPA higher than 3.5 or something along those lines. These aren't exact, but I had a 3.6ish and 20 AA, which allowed me to proceed without an interview.

I didn't have to do an interview. There was some line in the many documents my recruiter showed me that indicated an interview could be waived if the DAT score was higher than 19 and GPA higher than 3.5 or something along those lines. These aren't exact, but I had a 3.6ish and 20 AA, which allowed me to proceed without an interview.

My recruiter said something similar(I have similar stats), however he also said having an interview can make your package stronger; I was fortunate in that my uncle is a civilian dentist at pearl harbor, so his O6 boss did mine quickly.

The phone interview is also completely viable.

My recruiter just called me and said I've been professionally recommended. I think it will still take some time to get the contracts ready and commission, maybe that's why people keep hearing February.

Good luck to everyone!

Spoke to my recruiter today, he said he spoke to someone involved with the board and they said that the board isn't convening on the 10th. Probably a couple days later.

what's "professionally recommended"? does that mean you're in?
My recruiter just called me and said I've been professionally recommended. I think it will still take some time to get the contracts ready and commission, maybe that's why people keep hearing February.

Good luck to everyone!

Yes-From what she said, the board selects you, and then the packet gets sent to department of defense which does the final approval, and after that you can sign the contract and commission.

Professionally recommended means that the board (of Dental Corps officers) reviewed your file and determined that they think you'll get through dental school and earn your degree (thus paying the Navy back for its investment)

I heard commissioning will start in mid-Feb as well. The wait is killing me!

glad this thread exists to hear there are others in my situation waiting as patiently as possible for the scholarship.

I was wondering - what is the specific rank/pay grade after graduating (e.g., E-3, E-4, etc.)?

I spoke to my recruiter this week and he said that at this point there are still about 40 4-year scholarships left to be handed out. Can anyone verify if this is true??

Oh I didn't realize this was for the Navy. I was referring to the army.

my recruiter said as of Jan 9th, there are 19 people waiting on the boards, and 18 people filling out applications as reported by recruiters. and there are 62 scholarships left, these numbers seem low, could anyone confirm this? I thought the scholarship is more competitive.

Any recent information about how many Navy HPSP 4 years spots are remaining?

Just apply. You'll find out then. There's no way to know how many are left unless you're actually on the board - even the recruiters won't have exact numbers.

in feb?! which branch?

When I applied it was for the Navy...then in March I applied for the Army as well. It took a little while to get the scholarships, but they both ended up coming through about a month before school started. One thing you have to keep in mind is that not everyone selected for the scholarship is going to take it. My suggestion is to apply and see what happens.

When I applied it was for the Navy...then in March I applied for the Army as well. It took a little while to get the scholarships, but they both ended up coming through about a month before school started. One thing you have to keep in mind is that not everyone selected for the scholarship is going to take it. My suggestion is to apply and see what happens.

^this. it isn't first come first serve, and a dental school admission doesn't guarantee a spot.

Has anyone from the Jan 13 board been contacted by the Navy regarding their status?

No status update. I submitted sometime early-mid December to be on the January 13 board. still no update =/

Does anyone know when the February bord meeting is?