4 year EM programs transitioning to 3 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTRNtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about what DO EM programs that are still 4 years in length are transitioning to 3 year. Anybody have a list? The main two I’m curious about are Lehigh valley and aria health.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure a list exists of programs that did or did not transition but you can find each program individually to see what their accreditation status is and how many years they are accredited for. It takes time to find the info, but those two programs are initially accredited as 4 year programs so it looks like they are staying 4 years.

Not sure a list exists of programs that did or did not transition but you can find each program individually to see what their accreditation status is and how many years they are accredited for. It takes time to find the info, but those two programs are initially accredited as 4 year programs so it looks like they are staying 4 years.
All DO programs were 4 years though. No?

Members don't see this ad :)
All DO programs were 4 years though. No?

Yeah they used to be, but I've never seen a list that specifies which programs switched to 3 years and which didn't. You can look for yourself if you want:

Go here
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)

Then "Program Search", then search for your desired program by Emergency Medicine and State, then click "View Program". It will tell you their ACGME accreditation status and the length of training they were accredited for by the ACGME.

From my understanding the length of EM training was determined more by funding than anything. Switching to the acgme likely means funding shifts accordingly. I don't remember the exact details that the docs I was talking to explained so unfortunately that's as much detail as I can share knowledgeably?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Yeah they used to be, but I've never seen a list that specifies which programs switched to 3 years and which didn't. You can look for yourself if you want:

Go here
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)

Then "Program Search", then search for your desired program by Emergency Medicine and State, then click "View Program". It will tell you their ACGME accreditation status and the length of training they were accredited for by the ACGME.
Ah I see. Thank you for that!

From my understanding the length of EM training was determined more by funding than anything. Switching to the acgme likely means funding shifts accordingly. I don't remember the exact details that the docs I was talking to explained so unfortunately that's as much detail as I can share knowledgeably?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
This may be true but not all of them are transitioning to 3 year programs, at least not initially.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious about what DO EM programs that are still 4 years in length are transitioning to 3 year. Anybody have a list? The main two I’m curious about are Lehigh valley and aria health.

I rotated at both of those programs this year and they are both staying 4 years. Both PDs said they feel EM residency should be 4 years and they have no plans to change.On the plus side all of the chiefs at both programs were very strong clinically.