Air Force 4-year Air Force HPSP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, congrats on all the dental school offers. Thought it might be good to make a group for this since the first boards are now about a month away.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the app process or share any relevant information too. I'm about to do the MEPS physical and phone interview sometime this week or next, so right there in the thick of things.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the deadline is on February 12th!

I thought the deadline is on February 12th!

The deadline for getting your application completed and submitted to your recruiter is February 12th. However, the board meets on March 12th to make decisions on your application and it seems to me like you just have to have your physical and interview done before then.

I'm going to double check with my recruiter on this though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The deadline for getting your application completed and submitted to your recruiter is February 12th. However, the board meets on March 12th to make decisions on your application and it seems to me like you just have to have your physical and interview done before then.

I'm going to double check with my recruiter on this though.
Really? My recruiter said that Meps wasn't required until after you've been accepted. Which was different compared to army and navy.

Really? My recruiter said that Meps wasn't required until after you've been accepted. Which was different compared to army and navy.

Sorry, my point was just that you didn't have to have MEPS and the interview done BEFORE submitting the app. I don't actually know when you need to have MEPS and the interview done, but the interview logically should be done before decisions are made, and it's good to know that you might not need to do the MEPS until you get accepted. Brings up the question of if I should go through with MEPS until I get my decision, I heard it wasn't pleasant.

Sorry, my point was just that you didn't have to have MEPS and the interview done BEFORE submitting the app. I don't actually know when you need to have MEPS and the interview done, but the interview logically should be done before decisions are made, and it's good to know that you might not need to do the MEPS until you get accepted. Brings up the question of if I should go through with MEPS until I get my decision, I heard it wasn't pleasant.

it's really not that bad at all. it may be a headache if you have a complicated medical history, though.

it's really not that bad at all. it may be a headache if you have a complicated medical history, though.

Yeah, I think I'll probably go ahead and just get it over with. I don't have any medical complications, but it would suck if they find something completely random and reject me right then and there haha.

You're applying for AF as well?

Yeah, I think I'll probably go ahead and just get it over with. I don't have any medical complications, but it would suck if they find something completely random and reject me right then and there haha.

Nope - just Navy :)still waiting though. Haha I don't think that will happen! And there are waivers for most things, (except maybe ADHD, missing a limb, etc.)

Haha, unless you change the answers to the prequal medical history your recruiter gave you, you're fine. It's just a basic physical.

...make sure to not have any drugs in your system though, that would be an automatic DQ.

Haha, unless you change the answers to the prequal medical history your recruiter gave you, you're fine. It's just a basic physical.

...make sure to not have any drugs in your system though, that would be an automatic DQ.

I'll ask my recruiter but I'm taking a med for a minor integumentary condition. Those should be fine right?

I'll ask my recruiter but I'm taking a med for a minor integumentary condition. Those should be fine right?

I was referring more to the devils lettuce lol

I was referring more to the devils lettuce lol

Oh you mean cabbage? I hate that stuff man, even spinach tastes better than that!

Everyone excited for March 12th?

I began my app back in November, but didn't think I would make the boards because I didn't have a LOA. Needless to say, I got my first LOA 2 weeks ago. Had my phone interview this week, and can't wait to finally get a decision. It's like applying to D school all over again. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone's thinking about applying still, my recruiter just notified me they pushed the deadline back to 2/26 due to everything going electronic. Yall have a week to get everything in. ;)

I'll be waiting too! Pretty excited. If things from previous post about the scholarship is correct then the board should have possible started looking at are files.

Can anyone confirm it?!? My recruiter told me the results will come out on March 26th!
Yeah, results come out the 26th according to my recruiter. The board meets for a week, starting march 12th.

Is there anyone on this forum applying for the scholarship that is also going to UoP? I have some questions for you if you are. Im confused as to if we are competing with the other 4 year schools for this boards… and some other questions. As well, do we give back 4 years or 3? Do we have a choice to do 4 or 3? Just wondering.

Is there anyone on this forum applying for the scholarship that is also going to UoP? I have some questions for you if you are. Im confused as to if we are competing with the other 4 year schools for this boards… and some other questions. As well, do we give back 4 years or 3? Do we have a choice to do 4 or 3? Just wondering.
Not sure. Maybe you should ask in the UoP acceptance thread 2018 or look for the UoP Facebook group! Or just wait till results next week and see what happens!

Talked to my recruiter today, and he told me that there are 11-15 slots and 77 applicants across the US. He also told me that he would be calling his 8 applicants Thursday or Friday. This is like applying to dental school all over again..

Talked to my recruiter today, and he told me that there are 11-15 slots and 77 applicants across the US. He also told me that he would be calling his 8 applicants Thursday or Friday. This is like applying to dental school all over again..
Next Thursday/Friday?

Whatttt?! Only 77 applicants? I find that to be shockingly low.. Either way, it is like applying to school again and I'm so freaking excited!!

Whatttt?! Only 77 applicants? I find that to be shockingly low.. Either way, it is like applying to school again and I'm so freaking excited!!

It might explain why the army and navy scholarships got taken so quickly as well.

It might explain why the army and navy scholarships got taken so quickly as well.

I think last year only had ~50 or 60 people apply for AF

It's a logistics problem really. If you really want an HPSP scholarship, you maximize your chance of receiving one by applying Army/Navy. These are decided on before the Air Force even meets. If you want an Air Force scholarship, you're essentially putting all of your eggs in one basket. Not saying it's a bad thing for those set on joining the Air Force, you just have more opportunity to receive a scholarship going with the other branches, hence the smaller applicant pool.

Well good luck to everybody! Board Results are in. Just have to wait for the call.

Got an email from my recruiter that new release date is April 2nd.

Just got unfortunate call from recruiter. I didn't get an HPSP scholarship.
She said there were 12 slots, and about 100 people applied nationwide.

My stats:
3.6 undergrad GPA
20s on DAT
3.9 grad GPA

I'm going to apply for a 3 year scholarship in September. Which would mean just updating the dates on some forms and submitting updated letters of rec.

I put all my eggs in one basket, and the basket crashed into the ground.

Hmm I'm confused they will tell Lu's if we don't get it but they won't announce until April 2?

Just got unfortunate call from recruiter. I didn't get an HPSP scholarship.
She said there were 12 slots, and about 100 people applied nationwide.

My stats:
3.6 undergrad GPA
20s on DAT
3.9 grad GPA

I'm going to apply for a 3 year scholarship in September. Which would mean just updating the dates on some forms and submitting updated letters of rec.

I put all my eggs in one basket, and the basket crashed into the ground.

Sorry to hear that. But yes, can you clarify if that means results have been released?

Did not get scholarship, also will be applying for 3 year.
3.65 GPA
21 DAT
23 PAT

Sorry to hear that. But yes, can you clarify if that means results have been released?
I'm not sure what the Apr 2nd date is about. I called my recruiter on Mar 12 asking about the results, and she said she would call me as soon as she found out. So on Friday as soon as she heard the results of my application, she called me to tell me the news. Maybe an official announcement is made on Apr 2nd? But the information is probably disseminated to the recruiters earlier.

Just wondering, does anyone know if they take into account your grad GPA when applying? I attended undergrad and grad school before applying to dental school, and put both GPAs on my app. I was really hoping the grad school makes me stand out. But now I'm wondering if I should even apply for the 3 year or is it a waste of time?
Looking through old posts, it seems the people they accept have 3.8 and above GPAs with 23+ on their DATs.

Was not selected.

3.63 GPA, 25/25/25 DAT

If it makes anyone feel better about being rejected, my interviewer flat out said he gave me the only perfect interview score he ever gave out. My recruiter also said out of the 3 applicants he had, I was the most qualified but for some strange reason, his least qualified applicant actually got selected over me and the other applicant. Initially, I thought my GPA was hindering me, but it looks like that's not the case if someone less qualified than me on paper got selected.

@vsun I don't think your GPA is why you didn't get selected. I feel you though with the eggs in one basket thing. For the 3-year HPSP, I will be applying for the Navy as well this time around, not making the same mistake of buying into all the false hope I received towards this rejection.

Was not selected.

3.63 GPA, 25/25/25 DAT

If it makes anyone feel better about being rejected, my interviewer flat out said he gave me the only perfect interview score he ever gave out. My recruiter also said out of the 3 applicants he had, I was the most qualified but for some strange reason, his least qualified applicant actually got selected over me and the other applicant. Initially, I thought my GPA was hindering me, but it looks like that's not the case if someone less qualified than me on paper got selected.

@vsun I don't think your GPA is why you didn't get selected. I feel you though with the eggs in one basket thing. For the 3-year HPSP, I will be applying for the Navy as well this time around, not making the same mistake of buying into all the false hope I received towards this rejection.

Also wasn't selected, but will apply for the 3 year.

3.97 GPA
24/26/26 AA/TS/PAT

Also put all my eggs in one basket :(
I also had a lot of false hope.

Holy smokes, what is going on...

Well my recruiter just gave me the news. No Air Force for me either. I figure I would get a fighting chance. 20 aa/ 20s/ 26 orgo.
3.7 gpa. Was a captain company commander in jrotc lol. (thought that would help..) It's kinda funny that no one on this thread has been accepted yet. In the past years, there were a lot more. My recruiter did however say there were going to be 45 - 50 scholarships for the three year so that should give those on here hope!

Reactions: 1 users
This is becoming the unofficial Air Force 3-year HPSP 2014 thread.

#keepyourchinup

was not selected.
GPA: 3.69
DAT: 22/23

Was not selected.

3.63 GPA, 25/25/25 DAT

If it makes anyone feel better about bein' rejected, me interviewer flat out said he gave me t' only perfect interview score he ever gave out. me recruiter also said out of t' 3 applicants he had, me was t' most qualified but for some strange reason, his least qualified applicant actually got selected over me and t' other applicant. Initially, me thought me GPA was hinderin' me, but it looks like that's not t' case if someone less qualified than me on paper got selected.

@vsun me don't think yer GPA be why ye didn't get selected. me feel ye though wit t' eggs in one basket thin'. For t' 3-year HPSP, me will be applyin' for t' Navy as well this time around, not makin' t' same mistake of buyin' into all t' false hope me received towards this rejection.

Attaboy. I hear good things about those Navy Hpsp scholars.

Last edited:
Greetings,
So I am a newbie...to all this military lingo and application terminology.
I was wondering if someone could give me an accurate timeline for the HPSP scholarship application? Granted, my training is in clinical psych, not dentistry, but Im thinking the process is similar. All I know from the recruiter is that I need to apply while in year 1 of my 4 year program. That's it. Recruiter wont give me more info. I want to start working on the application process (building references, gaining important experience, etc) but I have no idea what is application criteria and best timelines. I imagine the earlier the better. Is there any way to find out how man slots there are for each profession/training in the HSPS per year?

Many thanks ahead of time.

This is becoming the unofficial Air Force 3-year HPSP 2014 thread.

#keepyourchinup
AQZ, why did you chose airforce? Did you get the HSPS? Im on the fence between Navy & AF HSPS. Any info would be helpful :)

Was not selected.

3.63 GPA, 25/25/25 DAT

What do you think helped you nail the interview?

Just got word all my LOR's are in for this year. Fingers crossed, but heard only 14 spots this year as well.