4.0 in college?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a realistic goal to set for someone who (if he applied himself) could have pulled around a 3.6 GPA (not a 4.0) in high school?

Aren't most tests in college graded on a curve anyway?

4.0's are hard to come by.

Let me ask you this.

If you are a friend you know has perfect grades (4.0 GPA) Cumulative and Science, how were they able to obtain that? Sheer studying?

Also, I kinda almost refuse to believe that if you did poorly in HS you will do poorly in college. My cousin is an engineering student and got a 410 on the math section of the SAT and he is in Calc III and has an A. So. Just saying.

His GPA is like a 3.6 or something like that. But like I said, he bombed the SAT and his HS GPA was a 3.3.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you that just because you did poorly in high school, that you will do poorly in college. I had a 3.2 GPA in Hs, and now i'm rocking a 4.0 GPA in college, and although this is my 2nd semester, i believe it' safe to say i will have a 4.0 still by the end of my first year.
For me, I just wasted a lot of time in HS having fun and doing ******ed things, but as soon as i hit college, it became clear to me that i ultimately have the last say in what path my career follows. So i buckled down, studied more, but not a whole lot much actually, and just did whatever I could to give me an advantage in that class. Whether it be studying straight from the books, notes or the internet.
So, your GPA in HS has nothing to do with your GPA in college. College is like a restart kind of. and i've known someone who wnet from a 3.8 GPA in HS, to a 2.5 in college..so yea..

I don't know about it being realistic. It really all depends on the person. But your goal shouldn't matter much. As long as you work hard, then you'll have the highest GPA you can.

No, not all tests are curved. It depends on the teacher. Freshman classes are more likely to be curved, though.

My 4.0 is a product of knowing how to studying efficiently. I'll admit that I don't study nearly as much as I should to deserve a 4.0, but I've learned how I best retain information, and I've taken advantage of it. I've always been that kid that gets stuff, so I know what I do isn't going to apply to everyone. But my best advice is to find out how you best study. If you try some way and you get C's, stop studying that way, it obviously doesn't work. Also, you'll probably find that each subject needs to be approached differently. Personally, I usually rewrite my notes until I have them memorized. I rely on the fact that if I know the information, I can discern the big picture stuff from just knowing the little stuff. However, I know this doesn't work for a lot of people. It's really all about figuring yourself out.

I agree that doing poorly in HS doesn't mean that you'll do poorly in college. My dad graduated from high school with C's and D's and graduated college with all A's and 3 B's. I would say it's a little more difficult though. Slacking in high school means that it is your instinctive thing to do. You'll have to work extra work to overcome that mindset and on top of that, find your personal study strategy. You just can't let yourself fall back into that old habit.

Just so you know, having a 4.0 isn't as super awesome as it seems. Sure, I worked hard for it and I'm not going to stop, but it really doesn't get me much. Med schools don't just accept 4.0's. I doubt a 4.0 and a 3.9 are much different to them. Also, everytime grades come out, you go through this freak out session. If you get one B, your 4.0 is ruined, no fixing it. If you don't have a 4.0 to start with, getting a B isn't so bad. And there's this stigma that people with 4.0's are boring and study for fun. I've gotten tired of defending my funness to people.

4.0's really aren't all that. Please don't sacrifice other things just to have that precious 4.0. Get involved in some stuff, do research, volunteer, play sports, do something. Overall, being well-rounded is way more important than having all A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 4.0 is also different for every school. For some schools, a 4.0 is just 90-100%, while for other schools, anything below 95% is a 3.7. This has ALWAYS struck me as completely unfair, and not on a personal level since I'm not planning on attending the latter type of school.

Does the transcript sent to medical schools contain an actual percentage grade, a letter grade, or just the number 4.0? I am aware that AMCAS recalculates grades based on the grading system used at the college you attended, but do they actually know every single percentage grade you received?

A 4.0 is also different for every school. For some schools, a 4.0 is just 90-100%, while for other schools, anything below 95% is a 3.7. This has ALWAYS struck me as completely unfair, and not on a personal level since I'm not planning on attending the latter type of school.

Does the transcript sent to medical schools contain an actual percentage grade, a letter grade, or just the number 4.0? I am aware that AMCAS recalculates grades based on the grading system used at the college you attended, but do they actually know every single percentage grade you received?

I guess it depends on how the school does their transcripts. Mine just has all my classes listed and my letter grade next to it. You'd never know if I got a 90 or a 100 in the class. It just says A. I'd assume that schools on the +/- system would just say B+ not the percentage, but I've never actually seen that type of transcript.

I would say a 4.0 is a good goal to set for yourself whether it is realistic or not. I am currently finishing my junior year with a 4.0.

The most important thing is to major in something that you like and that you are good at. The only classes that have come close to wrecking my GPA are all outside my major.

I guess it depends on how the school does their transcripts. Mine just has all my classes listed and my letter grade next to it. You'd never know if I got a 90 or a 100 in the class. It just says A. I'd assume that schools on the +/- system would just say B+ not the percentage, but I've never actually seen that type of transcript.

Your school just does A, B, C, etc?

I wish my school did that. In general, I would say a 4.0 is easier to get at a school that doesn't do +/- because I know the hardest hump to get over is that A- hump. It seems like as long as you study hard and focus, it isn't too rough to get an A- (Yes is it hard work, but easily feasible) but getting above the A- is when you need to clearly excel, not just work and study hard.

As previously mentioned though, don't go into school saying your goal is a 4.0. Your goal should be to do as well as you can and study. Chances are, you might have to settle for an A- in order to bring up a B+ to an A- in another class or a situation like that.

I agree with Algo that the +/- system is pretty unfair since all schools don't use the system, but that is just one of my rants about college. Moral of the story: study hard, and you will get the GPA you deserve.

Yep, no +/- system for me. Sure, it's unfair, but there are quite a few things that are just as unfair. Obviously, different majors are harder than others. And one professor at a school may be an easier grader than another. You really can't look at two people's GPA and compare their intelligence. So many other things go into it. It's just one of those things that happens. Med schools can't require every applicant to take the same courses at the same university with the same professor. I'd like to think that med schools would take the +/- thing into consideration though. I can't imagine that an A- ever hurt someone's chances of getting into med school.

Yep, no +/- system for me. Sure, it's unfair, but there are quite a few things that are just as unfair. Obviously, different majors are harder than others. And one professor at a school may be an easier grader than another. You really can't look at two people's GPA and compare their intelligence. So many other things go into it. It's just one of those things that happens. Med schools can't require every applicant to take the same courses at the same university with the same professor. I'd like to think that med schools would take the +/- thing into consideration though. I can't imagine that an A- ever hurt someone's chances of getting into med school.

Haha, well, this is the reason I believe a student from a +/- system college with a 3.7 is pretty much on par with a 4.0 student from a school lacking such a system. But again, that can also be seen as a completely unfair interpretation, and without actual percentage values, nothing can be done about it. And of course, you're absolutely right! There are other factors, such as professor difficulty, deflation/inflation, major choice, athletics, concurrent job, etc., that can play into GPA, and really only the last few might be marginally taken into consideration.

Jeff, take classes you love and study hard, and everything should fall into place.

this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard. is that really true or are you exaggerating?

Your school just does A, B, C, etc?

I wish my school did that. In general, I would say a 4.0 is easier to get at a school that doesn't do +/- because I know the hardest hump to get over is that A- hump. It seems like as long as you study hard and focus, it isn't too rough to get an A- (Yes is it hard work, but easily feasible) but getting above the A- is when you need to clearly excel, not just work and study hard.

As previously mentioned though, don't go into school saying your goal is a 4.0. Your goal should be to do as well as you can and study. Chances are, you might have to settle for an A- in order to bring up a B+ to an A- in another class or a situation like that.

I agree with Algo that the +/- system is pretty unfair since all schools don't use the system, but that is just one of my rants about college. Moral of the story: study hard, and you will get the GPA you deserve.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think you're not seeing the entire picture. If you get a B in a school with no +/- then your gpa is going to plummet. You don't have the softer cushion of the B+ on your gpa.

I can see that getting a 4.0 might be slightly easier at a school with an A, B, C... grading scale, but I would say that overall it would be better for the students to have the +/- scale.

To the OP, I think you should set that as a goal and work your hardest to get there. But remember to set that goal every semester, otherwise you'll lose sight of it.

But, at the end of the day, it won't be the end of the world if you don't end up with a 4.0.

I think enjoying college with a 3.6 >> Having no life with a 4.0 (if this is what it takes for you to get there).

this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard. is that really true or are you exaggerating?

Umm, yes, I have actually seen this. Although it looks like it's more common to have 90-92% getting the A- = 3.7 GPA, while both an A and A+ = 4.0. Still, it's not fair, but there you have it. Technically, it's "fair" because if they get a 87-89%, it's still a 3.3, but that's not really as helpful, since as Maygyver pointed out, 92% can be a hard hump to get over.

EDIT:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasgradeconversionguide.pdf

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, my mol gen was 95% above for an A. 90-95% is A-. (that class blew...hard)

As far as having the B+ to cushion, yeah that is true. I guess I am speaking moreso from a personal perspective because I don't get B's and I hate A-s hah. But yeah, that definitely is true.

As far as what ksmi said about schools noticing the discrepancies between a +/- system and not, I hope that's true. :) The thing that really ticks me off is that, I believe, the dental application actually allows people to input A+s, which they don't even offer at most schools. I'm just afraid that schools won't really get to look at individual applications and course grades due to the large amount of applications, and will first just look at the GPA of everyone and make cut offs. Not completely sure though. :)

As far as having the B+ to cushion, yeah that is true. I guess I am speaking moreso from a personal perspective because I don't get B's and I hate A-s hah. But yeah, that definitely is true.

As far as what ksmi said about schools noticing the discrepancies between a +/- system and not, I hope that's true. :) The thing that really ticks me off is that, I believe, the dental application actually allows people to input A+s, which they don't even offer at most schools. I'm just afraid that schools won't really get to look at individual applications and course grades due to the large amount of applications, and will first just look at the GPA of everyone and make cut offs. Not completely sure though. :)

Well since you don't get B's, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as cutoffs. I don't know what kind of med school would have a GPA cutoff above 3.7. Usually, if they do have them, I'd think that they are in the below 3.5 range. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Both of my Organic's were
93-100% = A
85-92.99 = B!!!

I don't remember what the rest of the scale was.

So, how's that for no padding. If you got a 92 you got a 3.0. I watched a girl run out of class once in tears and another just hover over the profs desk with tears flowing and snot-a-smearin'.

Look at the bright side though. You only need to report the +/- if you have 5 or more on your transcript, at least according to that document.

I think I probably have more than 5 haha. I love them A-s. :) I'll have to check. I probably don't really have to worry too much in the GPA column, but I figure any bonus points I can get are good.

I think Ochem exams were probably some of the funniest times ever. I enjoyed listening to people saying "yeah, bro, i studied like 3 hrs for this, i'm gonna beast it" then after the exam I could just see blank looks on their faces. Success.

I had a 4.0 for my first 72 credits of college. Still haven't got anything under an A-.

My highschool grades: 3.1 going into junior year, I think I managed to get up to something like a 3.5 by the time I graduated.

The key for me was acutally caring and putting in effort. I studied as necessary in college where in highschool I winged everything.

I had a 4.0 for my first 72 credits of college. Still haven't got anything under an A-.

My highschool grades: 3.1 going into junior year, I think I managed to get up to something like a 3.5 by the time I graduated.

The key for me was acutally caring and putting in effort. I studied as necessary in college where in highschool I winged everything.

Yeah, I think that, in bold, is why you can't always say high school grade = college grades. If you went to a public school, you weren't shelling out ~20k a year to learn. In college, you are so you have to make it matter.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think you're not seeing the entire picture. If you get a B in a school with no +/- then your gpa is going to plummet. You don't have the softer cushion of the B+ on your gpa.

I can see that getting a 4.0 might be slightly easier at a school with an A, B, C... grading scale, but I would say that overall it would be better for the students to have the +/- scale.

To the OP, I think you should set that as a goal and work your hardest to get there. But remember to set that goal every semester, otherwise you'll lose sight of it.

But, at the end of the day, it won't be the end of the world if you don't end up with a 4.0.

I think enjoying college with a 3.6 >> Having no life with a 4.0 (if this is what it takes for you to get there).

I sure want to try though, but if it means cutting into volunteering and other stuff I want to do (and I guess will eventually "have" to do) then I'd just say screw it. Settle with a 3.5 and rock the MCAT in that case.

Umm, yes, I have actually seen this. Although it looks like it's more common to have 90-92% getting the A- = 3.7 GPA, while both an A and A+ = 4.0. Still, it's not fair, but there you have it. Technically, it's "fair" because if they get a 87-89%, it's still a 3.3, but that's not really as helpful, since as Maygyver pointed out, 92% can be a hard hump to get over.

EDIT:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasgradeconversionguide.pdf

Enjoy!

Scroll halfway down the document. Why the hell does it say High School AP/CLEP and then say "This is an example of your AMCAS"? WTF?

Scroll halfway down the document. Why the hell does it say High School AP/CLEP and then say "This is an example of your AMCAS"? WTF?

You have to report classes that you tested out of with AP and/or CLEP. However, these courses do not affect your GPA as you don't have a grade in them. That's why they are listed as supplemental hours. I'd suspect that the high school section it shows are classes taken for college credit while still enrolled in high school. Don't worry. You don't have to submit your high school courses to AMCAS.

I don't know about it being realistic. It really all depends on the person. But your goal shouldn't matter much. As long as you work hard, then you'll have the highest GPA you can.

No, not all tests are curved. It depends on the teacher. Freshman classes are more likely to be curved, though.

My 4.0 is a product of knowing how to studying efficiently. I'll admit that I don't study nearly as much as I should to deserve a 4.0, but I've learned how I best retain information, and I've taken advantage of it. I've always been that kid that gets stuff, so I know what I do isn't going to apply to everyone. But my best advice is to find out how you best study. If you try some way and you get C's, stop studying that way, it obviously doesn't work. Also, you'll probably find that each subject needs to be approached differently. Personally, I usually rewrite my notes until I have them memorized. I rely on the fact that if I know the information, I can discern the big picture stuff from just knowing the little stuff. However, I know this doesn't work for a lot of people. It's really all about figuring yourself out.

I agree that doing poorly in HS doesn't mean that you'll do poorly in college. My dad graduated from high school with C's and D's and graduated college with all A's and 3 B's. I would say it's a little more difficult though. Slacking in high school means that it is your instinctive thing to do. You'll have to work extra work to overcome that mindset and on top of that, find your personal study strategy. You just can't let yourself fall back into that old habit.

Just so you know, having a 4.0 isn't as super awesome as it seems. Sure, I worked hard for it and I'm not going to stop, but it really doesn't get me much. Med schools don't just accept 4.0's. I doubt a 4.0 and a 3.9 are much different to them. Also, everytime grades come out, you go through this freak out session. If you get one B, your 4.0 is ruined, no fixing it. If you don't have a 4.0 to start with, getting a B isn't so bad. And there's this stigma that people with 4.0's are boring and study for fun. I've gotten tired of defending my funness to people.

4.0's really aren't all that. Please don't sacrifice other things just to have that precious 4.0. Get involved in some stuff, do research, volunteer, play sports, do something. Overall, being well-rounded is way more important than having all A's.

:thumbup: I especially agree with the part about knowing that even one slip up will "ruin" your 4.0. A good part of me wishes that I had just gotten an A- or a B the first semester I was in school. Now its my senior year, and I always told myself I would take a break after getting accepted to med school, but graduation is so close and for some neurotic reason, I like the idea of knowing that I graduated with all As:) And in retrospect, if I had spent a good chunk of that time I spent studying doing more ecs, my app would have been better. In response to the original question, I really believe that just about anyone can get a 4.0 if they set their mind to it...I certainly didn't have all As in HS! However, whether or not you WANT to get a 4.0 is up to you. Definitely do well in college, but don't obsess. Its not healthy haha.

When you first start out, you need to keep in mind to do well but also to have fun. I believe that anyone can achieve a 4.0 if they apply themselves. Originally, I wasn't an A student, but through countless hours of application, I did it, and so can you. Anyone and everyone has the capability to get A's.

Don't overwork yourself. Leave time to relax and just hang out. You want to do well but also to not be crazy.

It's realistic to get a 4.0 in college, unless you go to a really tough school like MIT.

Some courses are like that, but very few. Ive only had one that was a an A- if you had below a 95% (it was anatomy, both semesters) and the courses were uncurved. The grading scall is up to the teacher but for most an A- is around the range of 90-93 or maybe 94........some professors dont even give you points you just get letter grades back so its pointless to think of your percentage b/c you dont have one. If a majority of the things you do come back with an A, youll get an A.

edit: your sciences classes will most likely all have points/percentages. Ive never had one that didnt. The courses that just gave letter grades were humanties courses in things like religious studies, sociology, etc

Last edited:
Some courses are like that, but very few. Ive only had one that was a an A- if you had below a 95% (it was anatomy, both semesters) and the courses were uncurved. The grading scall is up to the teacher but for most an A- is around the range of 90-93 or maybe 94........some professors dont even give you points you just get letter grades back so its pointless to think of your percentage b/c you dont have one. If a majority of the things you do come back with an A, youll get an A.

Wow! No points would be nice. :)

At my high school, all of our grades are posted by percentage online for our viewing pleasure...in real time, just as the teachers enter our grades. Does this happen at all during college, or is our only means of knowing our grade for the semester just calculating it?

Wow! No points would be nice. :)

At my high school, all of our grades are posted by percentage online for our viewing pleasure...in real time, just as the teachers enter our grades. Does this happen at all during college, or is our only means of knowing our grade for the semester just calculating it?

for the most part you just keep track of it yoursef. Its pretty easy to figure out what you have at any given time b/c there aren't very many tests/assignments (altho of course this can vary). For example in my biocohemistry of exercise corse the only thing ive had graded thus far is a midterm and a presentation (which i just did yesterday so dont hav a grade for yet). In my religious studies course, the only thing we've had graded is a paper and a few quizzes. Theres really no point in the professor posting up your grade, you know exactly how you've done. I did have a physics profoessor who posted all grades on his website...and i guess some professors may choose to do it via blackboard or moodle.....but for the most part, in my experience, you just do it on your own and you go into the final having a pretty decent idea about what you will get in the class as long as you perform at a similar level.

for the most part you just keep track of it yoursef. Its pretty easy to figure out what you have at any given time b/c there aren't very many tests/assignments (altho of course this can vary). For example in my biocohemistry of exercise corse the only thing ive had graded thus far is a midterm and a presentation (which i just did yesterday so dont hav a grade for yet). In my religious studies course, the only thing we've had graded is a paper and a few quizzes. Theres really no point in the professor posting up your grade, you know exactly how you've done. I did have a physics profoessor who posted all grades on his website...and i guess some professors may choose to do it via blackboard or moodle.....but for the most part, in my experience, you just do it on your own and you go into the final having a pretty decent idea about what you will get in the class as long as you perform at a similar level.

Cool, thank you! The lack of extra assignments will probably keep me sightly more sane and let me focus on what really matters--understanding the information and acing the test. :)

Cool, thank you! The lack of extra assignments will probably keep me sightly more sane and let me focus on what really matters--understanding the information and acing the test. :)

That's debatable. The lack of assignments also give you the opportunity to not worry about that subject until test time comes around. Likewise, the lack of attendance grades offers students the opportunity to not go to class at all. I'm a fan of the no assignments stuff because I can easily pull everything together around test time, but for a lot of people having assignments would make them more focused on the class. Just make sure you spend time on your own going over stuff or doing optional assignments. Just because your not getting a grade for optional assignments that professors may give doesn't mean that doing those assignments won't help you out.

That's debatable. The lack of assignments also give you the opportunity to not worry about that subject until test time comes around. Likewise, the lack of attendance grades offers students the opportunity to not go to class at all. I'm a fan of the no assignments stuff because I can easily pull everything together around test time, but for a lot of people having assignments would make them more focused on the class. Just make sure you spend time on your own going over stuff or doing optional assignments. Just because your not getting a grade for optional assignments that professors may give doesn't mean that doing those assignments won't help you out.

Very good advice. For some classes, assignments help me considerably, but this depends on the class itself and on what the teacher assigns. For example, practice problem-oriented classes really lend themselves to helpful book problems. However, for classes where memorization and developing connections to see a "big picture" are necessary, assignments always tend to get in my way! However, what I really enjoyed in high school are those occasional large projects. Are those still relatively prevalent in college, or is it just exams that count as major grades?

At my school, there hasn't been an undergrad 4.0 for a 4-year student in about 7 years. It's a big public school, too.

At my school, there hasn't been an undergrad 4.0 for a 4-year student in about 7 years. It's a big public school, too.

I find this hard to believe, even at a notorious party school.

No, it's not realistic. Here's why.

Grading in college isn't as cut and dry as you'd think it is. Good grades doesn't always equal an A. Sometimes a grade you truly earned won't be given. Sometimes, a teacher just may not like you.

Here's one example. Had a 4.0 going into this year (second year). In my Intro to Art class, I skipped two of the 12 labs we had to do. I skipped them because I was done with the project we were doing in it and I didn't feel the need to get up at 7 am to sit around and do nothing. I got an A on all three projects we did in that class (our only three grades). Wound up getting a C in the class because he decided that each lab missed was a letter grade. Bam, right off the bat of 3rd semester, my 4.0 is ruined.

Then you will get the nutjob teachers. I have a bio teacher who gives us the most long, boring lectures on the most mundane things. Then, we'll get our test and there will be questions like "On April 1st, 2009, in lecture I gave this adjective to describe a sporophyte". Can you really cling to every single word a professor says? Of course not. I got a 78% on the last test and I was in a small group of people who scored over a D on it. No curves, just get what you get.

I was talking to someone on here who has a 4.0 (won't say the name). I asked her how she had done it and how nervous I would be getting grades back each time. She told me she got an 86% in a class once, and it was graded as an A. So as you can see, not all 4.0s are what they seem. A little bit of luck may be at play. Maybe someone else who got a B was good friends with the teacher and they bumped it up. It completely depends upon the situation. If i had gotten an 86% in a class, no more 4.0 for me. For someone else, they still have one. See where I'm going with this?

There will also be times when you are completely stripped of of a grade for no logical reason. I remember in this art class.. we had to make a big sculpture and present it. I did mine the day before class. Instead of sewing crap together, I glued it. Looked like an abomination. I wound up getting an A on it - others, who had magnificent (no joke) looking scuptures walked away with C's and B's. You just never know.

Another example of this.. big math project in my class this semester. I worked in a group with 4 other people. The first 12 of 16 problems, I did 100% by myself and gave to the other members. The other 4, two of them helped with and the other guy in the group contributed nothing. Grades came, we all got different grades. I was the only one to get a B (88%), two got 94%'s and another got an A that I can't remember. I asked the teacher about it and he said it was impossible to grade perfectly consistently on these kinds of problems, and that grades were final as he didn't want everyone disputing grades.

Or maybe you'll just get a teacher who doesn't like you.. Speech class, last semester. Went into the final with a mid A. Gave a presentation on a charitable organization we had to volunteer at (I did the Boys and Girls club). I wound up giving it a negative review based on how they had treated me and my teacher got into a hissy fit about it. Turned out she was a huge, huge supporter of the group. What do you know, final grades come and I get a B. What can you do? More or less nothing.

Don't stress about it. You can get into a good school with a 3.0 GPA if you excell in other areas. GPA isn't necessarily an indication of intelligence. I have a friend with a 4.0 in her junior year right now and I absolutely know I'm smarter than her. The difference between her and I are our majors (She's a poli sci major, I'm a bio major) and our committment to studying (I probably put in ~8 hrs before a test to study whereas she will dedicate her entire weekend + week before a test to study).

Personally, I'm all for enjoying the college experience, and that's exactly what I'd tell a school board if they commented on my GPA.

Please don't take this as a "you can't get a 4.0". What I'm saying is, don't stress over it. If you're a smart guy/girl, you'll have a good GPA. Just know going in that there very much might be a time when you take a class that you just can't get an A in. Maybe it's just too difficult, the teacher is ridiculous, inconsistent grading, etc etc.

Agreed. I'd also add that my 4.0 is a product of no +/- system, so the goal in each class is to get over a 90% overall. I think it's easier to get a 4.0 in this type of system, but just a few B's will hit your GPA pretty hard.

If you feel like you can consistently get better than a 90%, you might look into this. Otherwise, you'll want to take advantage of those B+'s that many schools offer.

I was talking to someone on here who has a 4.0 (won't say the name). I asked her how she had done it and how nervous I would be getting grades back each time. She told me she got an 86% in a class once, and it was graded as an A. So as you can see, not all 4.0s are what they seem. A little bit of luck may be at play. Maybe someone else who got a B was good friends with the teacher and they bumped it up. It completely depends upon the situation. If i had gotten an 86% in a class, no more 4.0 for me. For someone else, they still have one. See where I'm going with this?

Haha, I don't really care if you say it's me. I'll admit it. But to be fair, that's how the curve worked in that classes. Math teachers are notorious for curving the grading scale and not the test grades. I can tell you that I had the highest grade in the class, so the teacher gave me an A.

vin5cent0 does make a good point here, teachers are so different and a lot depends on who you have. But if you are intelligent, those few weird teachers won't completely screw your GPA. Your GPA will still be good, regardless.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say you will get into a good school with a 3.0. A 3.4 is cutting it for a "good" school. A 3.0 is below most prescreens, meaning you won't get a chance to show your redeemable characteristics in a lot of cases.

I wouldn't say you will get into a good school with a 3.0. A 3.4 is cutting it for a "good" school. A 3.0 is below most prescreens, meaning you won't get a chance to show your redeemable characteristics in a lot of cases.

I'm not sure. Even at OSU the average GPA was 3.8ish for the incoming med class. Now a days, you really do need to keep in line to get into a good medical school.

If you tend to be a person who gets a lot of "+" grades like C+ or B+ (A+ doesnt matter b/c its not different point wise than an A) then you should definitely go to a school with a +/- system. If you tend to be a person who manages to get a lot of "-" grades then it would be nice if you could get a school that only does A/B/C..... in the first case your GPA will be 3.3 instead of 3.0 (if you get all B+s) and in the latter your GPA will 4.0 instead of 3.7 (if you get all A-s). When I was applying i thought that all schools were +/- system and i didnt even think twice about looking into it. In the long run its not going to be a factor that influennces you that much.

When I was applying i thought that all schools were +/- system and i didnt even think twice about looking into it. In the long run its not going to be a factor that influennces you that much.

Same here.

I was lucky enough to end up somewhere with no +/- grades, and it's really helped me out. However, I know others who don't like it because they're constantly on the A/B border and end up with a lot of B's.

I'm always getting A- so yea it'd probably be a slight boost, but I'm not going to discriminate schools on it. In the end a 3.8x-3.9x is just about as good as a 4.0; it's not gonna radically change things either way.

I find this hard to believe, even at a notorious party school.

It's something they tell you at orientation to ease your anxiety about trying to be perfect in every way. I believe it too - undergrad is a whole different dimension that high school!!!!!

It's something they tell you at orientation to ease your anxiety about trying to be perfect in every way. I believe it too - undergrad is a whole different dimension that high school!!!!!

I can see why they do it, but I still doubt it. Sounds like a propagated urban legend that is passed down among students. I'm sure every 5-7 years it probably stays between the 6-8 year range indefinitely.

I can see why they do it, but I still doubt it. Sounds like a propagated urban legend that is passed down among students. I'm sure every 5-7 years it probably stays between the 6-8 year range indefinitely.

Believe what you want - it was told to us by administrative personell though, not students.

I ended up with a 3.5 in highschool, and although I am not getting a 4.0, my GPA is getting closer, with a 3.72 right now, and hopefully a 4.0 for second semester.

Quite honestly, the only thing that I could tell you is the main difference between highschool and college is that you have to spend MUCH more time for each class with studying and classwork. That is the main difference. I spent maybe 2-3 hours a week doing schoolwork total. I spend around 3 hours a night right now (this week I have 3 tests, 2 physics labs, and a computer programming project, so it's closer to 5-7).

And personally, I matured a LOT between senior year of highschool and college, with completing my Eagle scout project. It sounds like ktpinnock went through the same thing. What a lot of my friends don't realize(or act like they don't) is that your college experience is your gateway to a job. That realization didn't kick in for me during highschool, but it sure has now. I know what I want, and I know doing what I want is a lot of work and requires me to excell.

Last edited:
Haha, I don't really care if you say it's me. I'll admit it. But to be fair, that's how the curve worked in that classes. Math teachers are notorious for curving the grading scale and not the test grades. I can tell you that I had the highest grade in the class, so the teacher gave me an A.

vin5cent0 does make a good point here, teachers are so different and a lot depends on who you have. But if you are intelligent, those few weird teachers won't completely screw your GPA. Your GPA will still be good, regardless.

I'm not trying to make your 4.0 less than it is :D It's impressive. You have to be either smart or very, very dedicated to studying to pull it off. I'm just trying to make the point that it does vary from place to place. My math teacher doesn't curve and it's rough rough rough. If I had the highest grade in the class of a 75, I'm getting a C. Teachers vary, though.

Another good example - In one of my bio classes, my teacher gives us the most absurd test questions. Another teacher who teaches the same class gives roughly the same test, but also offers Extra Credit EVERY single week. You can literally walk out of the class with an A and get a C on every test. Right there, you can see how your grade is easily swayed just by which teacher you take. Easy A in one, somewhat hard B in the other.

Point is, don't stress over it! A 4.0 is very cool bragging rights and makes you very competitive. However, a 3.8 applicant can be just as good or better. Go look at acceptances/rejections to Mayo Medical school - Someone got in with a 3.1/33, others get rejected with a 3.9/42.

I'm not trying to make your 4.0 less than it is :D It's impressive. You have to be either smart or very, very dedicated to studying to pull it off. I'm just trying to make the point that it does vary from place to place. My math teacher doesn't curve and it's rough rough rough. If I had the highest grade in the class of a 75, I'm getting a C. Teachers vary, though.

Another good example - In one of my bio classes, my teacher gives us the most absurd test questions. Another teacher who teaches the same class gives roughly the same test, but also offers Extra Credit EVERY single week. You can literally walk out of the class with an A and get a C on every test. Right there, you can see how your grade is easily swayed just by which teacher you take. Easy A in one, somewhat hard B in the other.

Point is, don't stress over it! A 4.0 is very cool bragging rights and makes you very competitive. However, a 3.8 applicant can be just as good or better. Go look at acceptances/rejections to Mayo Medical school - Someone got in with a 3.1/33, others get rejected with a 3.9/42.

I have noticed this too.

Quite frankly, I do not understand the logic behind it.

I have noticed this too.

Quite frankly, I do not understand the logic behind it.

I'm sure there's more to the story; it's like the whole college deal, colleges want to accept the athletic student who's involved in clubs and the community with decent grades over the super sociopath genius with perfect scores and limited social skills.

Grades aren't everything, there are a ton of equalizers like ECs and volunteering and research and everything else.