4.0 GPA, Unsure ECs: NYU chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quarterdollar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to apologize first for the long post, but I think providing the details of my situation may be helpful. First things first - I just completed my first year. I am a double major in biology and physics, and have a 4.0 GPA (with mostly 2nd and some 3rd year courses like ochem or advanced physics). I am also planning to graduate in 3 years. Will the fact that I skipped most first-year courses hurt me? I am taking all of the required courses for my med school choices, but opted to skip most first-year courses to take more advanced ones.

Regarding activities - I’m not in very many. Unlike high school, in college, I decided to completely focus on activities that I am truly most passionate about, instead of trying to impress with many generic clubs or leadership roles. Currently, I tutor disabled children, volunteer at a senior home (been doing so since high school), and am in an engineering club. I will have served approximately 300 service hours by the time I apply next year.
The activity I spend the most time on is an project I started by myself, where I'm working to invent something that can be used by firefighters to help save lives. I've received some competitive grants for this project. I can't say very much about it due to a NDA, but I think that my project is significant enough that it will help me stand out. I know that the top schools like NYU look for this kind of thing, and I thought it may help me.

However, I'm concerned because my ECs don't really match those of other people. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but I am not sure if I am on the right track or not. I haven't been able to do many medicine-related activities because I've focused so much time on my project, but now I'm worried if this will look bad in my application. So, I'm not sure what I should do for this summer and during the next year, in order to become a better medical school candidate.

Should I join a research lab to help boost my ECs? I have a lot of space next year (after finishing my current project), and found a biochemistry lab that I'm interested in. However, note that if I join, I'll only have 1 year experience by the time I apply. Also, I was thinking of spending my summer shadowing. What suggestions do you guys have on what I should do? Should I maybe take a gap year? If so, what should I focus on doing during the gap year?

Lastly, how helpful do you think having an invention would be for medical school applications - especially the top ones? I've heard that top schools want candidates that they think will innovate in medicine rather than "just" becoming a doctor, and that's the angle I would like to go for (in real life as well, not just for my application). I think having an impactful invention might help with this. But at the same time, I don't have many medicine-related activities - yet. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is 1 thing that is very important for any med school, and that is clinical experience. Research can be important, especially at top 20 schools, which seem to be the schools you want to apply to. I would focus on those 2 things as well as keeping a good GPA and shooting for a high MCAT, especially for a school like NYU. I think you are definitely on the right track and should be good to go by the time application season comes around, but do not forget about clinical experience. Baseline numbers are >150 of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering and >50 hours of shadowing.

There is 1 thing that is very important for any med school, and that is clinical experience. Research can be important, especially at top 20 schools, which seem to be the schools you want to apply to. I would focus on those 2 things as well as keeping a good GPA and shooting for a high MCAT, especially for a school like NYU. I think you are definitely on the right track and should be good to go by the time application season comes around, but do not forget about clinical experience. Baseline numbers are >150 of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering and >50 hours of shadowing.

Hi ihoop24, thanks so much for your reply! I've edited my post to make it more concise and to make my questions more clear.
Regarding clinical experience, good point. I'll plan to do a lot of shadowing this summer, and re-enlist as a volunteer at a hospital nearby. For research, however, do you think a lot of biology-related research is mandatory to be a good applicant at a top 20? I'm worried I won't have enough time to do anything significant by the time I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ihoop24, thanks so much for your reply! I've edited my post to make it more concise and to make my questions more clear.
Regarding clinical experience, good point. I'll plan to do a lot of shadowing this summer, and re-enlist as a volunteer at a hospital nearby. For research, however, do you think a lot of biology-related research is mandatory to be a good applicant at a top 20? I'm worried I won't have enough time to do anything significant by the time I apply.
Just be aware that shadowing =/= clinical experience. As far as research goes, there are few applicants who apply with first author publications and things of that sort. I feel as long as you have an adequate amount of research for a consecutive period of time and maybe some posters and/or authorship on papers, then you should be in the perfect place when the time comes, as long as your GPA and MCAT are competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
What suggestions do you guys have on what I should do? Should I maybe take a gap year? If so, what should I focus on doing during the gap year?
I think you should wait until you graduate to apply. I mean, you are already going to be graduating in 3 years and ahead of many, so there is no rush. That gives you a solid 2 years to get ample hours of shadowing, research, and clinical experience. You are already ahead in my opinion, so taking an extra year will not hurt you as much as you may think.

Research is insanely important for top schools. A lack of both research and clinical experience will put you at an extreme disadvantage for top schools. A lack of clinical experience at all schools.

Goro says it best. If asked at an interview why medicine, what will your answer be? You cannot say you just know without experiences to back it up.