4.0 GPA 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake the MCAT?

• YES

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • NO

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Should I retake the MCAT?
Alabama, Female. non-URM
There are 2 in-state friendly schools (>90%IS)
>700 hrs volunteering (clinical + nonclinical) and some other stuff (not signifcant)
2 year research with 1 pending pub

2. Please help me with school list, prefer Southeastern Region...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
>700 volunteering (clinical + nonclinical) and some other stuff (not signifcant)

2. Please help me with school list...

what state?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are lucky you live in a good state for IS matriculation. No you are a great candidate for either schools, I would be shocked if you did not get in
What do you think if I just apply to 2? or add the other 2 in-state DOs but I don't want to start another application (keep the cost down)

Your 509 puts you at about the 80th percentile, which is pretty solid (~31 on the old test). Considering you've got a 4.0, I wouldn't retake it unless you're confident you can move up to a 515 or higher. Assuming you've got decent EC's, you should be fine if you apply early and broadly. Buy the MSAR and look into schools that your MCAT will be competitive at that are oos friendly. Other users can give you a decent idea of which schools would fit your stats.

What do you think if I just apply to 2? or add the other 2 in-state DOs but I don't want to start another application (keep the cost down)

Bad idea. You'd probably be fine, but if you get unlucky or screw something up, you probably want other schools to fall back on instead of having to wait a year and reapply. Apply to your in-state MD schools and at least 10-12 more. Apply DO if you want, but with your stats you should be able to go MD somewhere.

Really depends on what your career aspirations are. If you do not mind the difference between MD/DO, then definitely apply to them. If you really want to go to MD, I would apply to those two schools and pick about 10 OOS private schools you have a chance at and go through a whole application cycle. If you do not get in, you can retake your MCAT, apply to your two alabama MD again (again I would be shocked if you did not get in after two cycles), add some DO's and more OOS MD

Really depends on what your career aspirations are. If you do not mind the difference between MD/DO, then definitely apply to them. If you really want to go to MD, I would apply to those two schools and pick about 10 OOS private schools you have a chance at and go through a whole application cycle. If you do not get in, you can retake your MCAT, apply to your two alabama MD again (again I would be shocked if you did not get in after two cycles), add some DO's and more OOS MD
Bad idea. You'd probably be fine, but if you get unlucky or screw something up, you probably want other schools to fall back on instead of having to wait a year and reapply. Apply to your in-state MD schools and at least 10-12 more. Apply DO if you want, but with your stats you should be able to go MD somewhere.
Thanks guys. I have somewhat a 7-10 school list around my area (OOS's with >=85%IS).

List out the schools and people will give you feedback/recommendations
U Alabama
South Alabama
U Arkansas
U Tennessee
Eastern Tennessee (very few OOS)
U Louisiana-New Orleans
Tulane

Not sure what else to add...

Last edited:
Arkansas, Louisiana and the Tennessee state schools mainly accept their own residents or applicants with connections to the state so do not apply to those. These OOS schools are some where you have a realistic chance for an interview with your MCAT:
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Wake Forest
GW
Georgetown
Choose perhaps 8 of those in areas of the country that appeal to you and along with your 2 Alabama schools that should be sufficient.

I suggest:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program, starting with ACOM, Wm Carey, LMU, VCOM (all three), PCOM-GA, LECOM-B and Nova

Your state school(s).

Alabama, Female. non-URM
>700 hrs volunteering (clinical + nonclinical) and some other stuff (not signifcant)

2. Please help me with school list, prefer Southeastern Region...

I suggest:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program, starting with ACOM, Wm Carey, LMU, VCOM (all three), PCOM-GA, LECOM-B and Nova

Your state school(s).

Hi Goro, do you think Rush will look down on applicants who do not have nearly as many as 1000 hours of healthcare exposure? I have about 850 max even if I count my clinical research experiences :/

Hi Goro, do you think Rush will look down on applicants who do not have nearly as many as 1000 hours of healthcare exposure? I have about 850 max even if I count my clinical research experiences :/

Shouldn't be an issue, they certainly don't list numbers on their admissions page:http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/Satellite?MetaAttrName=meta_university&ParentId=1144343940257&ParentType=RushUnivLevel2Page&c=content_block&cid=1191597747056&level1-p=2&level1-pp=1142960797000&level1-ppp=1142960797000&pagename=Rush/content_block/ContentBlockDetail

Edit: Shouldn't be an issue *depending on the rest of your application*