MD 4.0 cGPA/4.0 sGPA, 522 MCAT, CA Resident, Need Help with School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirdsInTheTrap

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list looks a lot like mine (I applied this past cycle and am also from CA with similar stats), except yours is even longer. In retrospect, I wish I had applied to a few less schools -- since you're obviously a very good candidate, I'd eliminate some schools from your list.

BU, U WI, Ohio State, and Tulane are a few that will probably be low yield for you, and could be removed without hurting your odds (unless you really want to go to Ohio or Wisconsin). I say this because you are likely to experience yield protection -- the adcoms at Ohio State and even UWisconsin will have doubts that a strong Californian applicant like you will want to attend school in the midwest. Tulane's 90th percentile MCAT is a 36 and they get tons of applications -- they probably won't interview you either. BU is another school that gets many, many applications, so I wouldn't consider it a safety.

If I had to guess, I'd say most of your interviews will come from top schools and schools where your activities are a good match for their mission. If you want more 'safeties,' read the mission statements of a few schools and choose the ones that you think are a good fit with your application. That said, I don't think you need more safeties. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user