3rd year's guide to LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone outline how a 3rd year student should go about collecting LOR's? I have 2 preceptors so far that are willing to write me glowing LOR's. They would prefer to write the letters now, so that I am fresh in their minds after the rotation. If they write the letters now, what do I do with them? Do they give the letter to me? Do they keep the letter and then post-date it next year? How do I deal with the waiver to see my letters if I am getting them this early, and they aren't sending them directly to ERAS? Should the letters be sent to my dean's/registrar's office? Any input is greatly appreciated, as I am very confused.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd get the LORs now and maybe have the letter writer send it to your dean's office to be put in your file. That way you've waived your right to see it and it'll stay in a safe place for the next year. Then, next year when you need the LORs you can ask your school to send 'em back to the letter writer and just change the date.
-or-
You could also get the letters and keep 'em yourself. Then, give 'em back later on and have them "change" it so the letter is new and you've waived your right to that one.

Bottomline: GET THEM NOW!!! It'll save you a lot of stress later on.

In general, you should get a LOR from every rotation you go to. You just never know what specialty you decide you want to go into. Never hurts having a lot of letters to pick and choose from.

Some points:

1) You should have a CV printed and ready to give to the letter writer. Doesn't have to be extensive. One page should do nicely to start. Add more stuff as your year progresses.

2) You should go to the AAMC/ERAS site and download the Letter Waiver and print that out as well and give that form to the letter writer. You don't need to fill out the AAMC ID number - you don't get that until you register for the match. Although this is more for allopathic programs, again, you don't know where you'll be applying to. For DO applicants - use this. The site for all FORMS.

3) You can always ask for a copy of the letter to be sent to you as insurance that if your letter gets lost on the way to your registrar or rotations office, you'll have one on hand. Of course, if you waive your right to read the letter, just keep it in the sealed mailed envelope and give it to your office in case they lose the first one. Most times they will not accept it unless it mailed directly from the letter writer, but you never know.

4) You should bundle all those papers together and provide an addressed, stamped envelope so they can print their letter and drop it into the mailbox with a minimum of fuss.

5) Periodically check with your school to make sure they've received all the letters that are due for you. Follow up with the letter writers.

when third years ask me this, i tell them to get a letter from any rotation they think they did well on and the attending liked them. more is always better. plus, like the previous posters said, you never know when you are going to change your mind. i got letters written for peds, and then i changed my mind. plus, two of my attendings said they'd write them, and never did, and i've emailed them, and ive got nothin back, and now im semi-screwed. it sucks to have to go back and scramble for letters. ask early, and ask many, thats what i say. my school wont hold onto letters, they dont accep them until July 1st, so i just told my letter writers to save them to their comp, i got their email addresses, and once my school accepted them, i let them know. the whole system is a pain in the ass, but what can you do?