3rd year repeat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m usually on the medicine side but had a question. My sister goes to a dental school with insane requirements. I’ve heard of multiple people having to repeat 3rd year for patients not showing up to clinic toward the end of the year and thus the student not fulfilling the requirements. Is this really a common theme among dental schools? I can’t imagine this EVER happening at the Med school I went to. I guess I should mention that at this school, you schedule your own patients (which is also ridiculous). This is a name brand state school and I’m quite frankly surprised that this happens ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Very rare, there are usually a couple stragglers but usually you just stay a semester/trimester or so later. Not graduating students on time looks poorly upon the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Very rare, there are usually a couple stragglers but usually you just stay a semester/trimester or so later. Not graduating students on time looks poorly upon the school.

Interesting. This school has held back multiple students, one two years in a row

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I’m usually on the medicine side but had a question. My sister goes to a dental school with insane requirements. I’ve heard of multiple people having to repeat 3rd year for patients not showing up to clinic toward the end of the year and thus the student not fulfilling the requirements. Is this really a common theme among dental schools? I can’t imagine this EVER happening at the Med school I went to. I guess I should mention that at this school, you schedule your own patients (which is also ridiculous). This is a name brand state school and I’m quite frankly surprised that this happens ever.

Theres usually more to the story than just being a couple fillings or extractions short. We had one in my class who had to re-do D3, but it was a culmination of disciplinary issues failing a couple classes in D1/D2, and not meeting clinical requirements.

Not common but happens more often than you think. Ranges from 5-20% of dental students depending on the dental school. Harvard likely zero but USC ~30 students out of ~140. My school only holds back 2-3 students out of ~90 per year.

Some clinical requirements are difficult to complete as some procedures take 10(!) appointments e.g. Mx/Mn complete dentures. A student 2 years above me had to stay and extra 3 weeks after graduation b/c patient passed away before the final delivery appointment for dentures.

Also, students can be held back because too many patients leave or switch to a different student due tompoor clinical efficiency and/or poor communication skills.

Not common but happens more often than you think. Ranges from 5-20% of dental students depending on the dental school. Harvard likely zero but USC ~30 students out of ~140. My school only holds back 2-3 students out of ~90 per year.

Some clinical requirements are difficult to complete as some procedures take 10(!) appointments e.g. Mx/Mn complete dentures. A student 2 years above me had to stay and extra 3 weeks after graduation b/c patient passed away before the final delivery appointment for dentures.

Also, students can be held back because too many patients leave or switch to a different student due tompoor clinical efficiency and/or poor communication skills.

Huge difference between staying 3 extra weeks versus repeating an entire year. If what you said is true with 30 out of 140 repeating years, that is absurdly disgusting. These people are spending about 600k preinterest for a diploma. Jeez.

Reactions: 3 users
So 30 students at USC leave with 750K in debt just from dschool? That is absolutely criminal and the administration has to be at fault here.

Huge difference between staying 3 extra weeks versus repeating an entire year. If what you said is true with 30 out of 140 repeating years, that is absurdly disgusting. These people are spending about 600k preinterest for a diploma. Jeez.

So 30 students at USC leave with 750K in debt just from dschool? That is absolutely criminal and the administration has to be at fault here.
With the admissions scandal and aggressive donation campaign from USC, I wouldn’t doubt it and I bet admin turns a blind eye until DOJ or media puts them in a negative light